Author Topic: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?  (Read 13084 times)

Roses

When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:34:59 PM »
I was at a store today and was asked (as is often the case these days) for personal information at checkout.  This happened AFTER I had already handed over my credit card.  I used my standard "No Thank You" line...but the clerk was persistent.  Was I rude?  The conversation went like this:

Clerk:  Please fill this out.
Me:  No thank you.
Her:  We need this information for your purchase.
Clerk:  We have to have this information in our system in order to complete your.
Me:  I am not giving you my personal information.
Clerk:  Rings up purchase and was very polite the rest of the transaction. 

And obviously did NOT need the information to execute the transaction.  Had she insisted, I would have left without purchasing.

Any other suggestions for how to handle?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »
Well, you can go straight to this:

Had she insisted, I would have left without purchasing.

She was insisting, actually.

I've gotten so sick of this sort of thing that I will say, "If you do not proceed directly to the processing of my purchase, I will cancel it."

Or you can stand there and just look at her, without saying anything.

Or skip the "no thank you" for these thing. I'm not sure why you're thanking them--they're not giving you anything. Except grief.

My mother used to immediately say, "I never fill those out. Ring up my order, please."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Clerk:  Please fill this out.
Her:  We need this information for your purchase.
Clerk:  We have to have this information in our system in order to complete your.

The only thing I would change is "I don't give our personal information" or "I know you are required to ask, but I don't give out personal information."

I know it's annoying, but please don't take it out on the cashier (which you didn't, you were polite) and complain to corporate about their policy (if you were going to complain).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:52:47 PM by rose red »

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
My standard way of dealing with it is this:

Cashier: [requests personal information]*
Me: "No, thanks."
Cashier: [second request]
Me: "No."
Cashier: [Third request.]
Me: "I said 'no.' I'll shop elsewhere from now on."  (at which point I leave).

*The exception is my zip code.  If they ask for that, I give the zip code of my college campus (it has its own zip).

Aquamarine

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:01:05 PM »
This is so annoying and it only seems to be getting worse.  The first time they ask, I tell them either I don't give out that information or that I don't fill out forms, whichever one pertains.  If they continue to ask I have started to just stare at them without saying a word until they ring things up.

They may be required to ask 3 times as is the rule some places, that does not mean it is incumbent on me to answer after the first time.  The question has been asked and answered and I am not going to play along after my first answer.

The one that really started getting my hackles up about this was at a Brighton store where I was going to buy a bracelet.  They wanted my name, address and phone number in order to buy (cash) a small piece of costume jewelry.  I remember telling them that they had two choices and to please pick one; sell me the item without that information or tell me they would not be allowing me to buy it.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
I think you handled it very well. I suppose, when she said "If you don't fill it out I can't complete your transaction." you could have said "That's unfortunate. Have a nice day." and left.  :-\

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »
Please don't blame the cashier.  Corporate people often insist on these kinds of things thinking it will help, or be useful information, or whatever, and the cashiers (or whoever deals with customers face to face) are often under threat of being fired of they don't  comply with the "script".

When I was in university I was actually fired from my job at the hardware store I was working in because I didn't meet my quota for 3 filled out store credit card applications per day.

I think you handled things very well, considering how annoying those kinds of things can be (I'm buying jeans, you don't need my postal code!) but I would also like to suggest you contact their corporate offices and inform them that you don't care for their policy of asking for your personal information at every purchase and will choose to spend your money someplace that doesn't do so.  The strongest statement you can make is to take your money elsewhere.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
I hate being asked more than I hate asking at my job. I'll ask once, and most regular customers know it's simply to pull up their profile, so the purchase is linked to them. Some ask why, I tell them, and also that it's totally optional. And for those who don't want to, there's a button we can hit to decline and continue. But please complain to corporate if you're going to. The employees have NO say over this, and can actually get in trouble for not asking according to what corporate decrees.

veronaz

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »
I think you did fine, OP.

I stopped shopping at a local women's clothing store that I LOVED because the cashiers badgered me so much about giving various personal information.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
^^Same here, Veronaz.  There are places I just won't shop at any more because of this kind of thing.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
I live in a suburb that has a single ZIP code.  The local Michael's asks every customer at checkout for their ZIP code.  I'm sure that 999 out of 1000 customers have the same ZIP.  Why don't the cashiers just enter the ZIP without slowing the checkout line down further by asking???   Well, one time when the cashier asked for my ZIP, I said, "I live in [our town]".  She didn't know the ZIP code  ::).

It is annoying to be asked for personal information, but I know that the cashiers are only doing it because they have to, and it's a minor annoyance, so I'm always polite but firm.  It's a very minor thing, not worth getting upset or nasty about.  To me, the test of etiquette is how you act when things don't go exactly as you'd like.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
Hawk and Veronaz, I hope you wrote to the corporate headquarters or owners of the businesses and told them why you stopped shopping there. And mentioned how many people you know who did the same.*

Just staying away does nothing unless you tell the right people why. These stupid ideas (upselling & pushing loyalty cards and/or credit cards, requiring the cashier to ask 3 times) come from some guy in a suit at corporate HQ, who has never worked retail (or hasn't done so in 20 years), and thinks it will be such! a! good! idea!  ::) Not only can the poor cashiers get fired for non-compliance, so can the managers.

* If the letter is hand-written, they will assume 20-30 people are doing the same thing. I read that 40-odd years ago )in a book about being a political activist); it probably counts for even more today.
If you have an opinion about my life, raise your hand!
Now, put it over your mouth.

veronaz

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »
RooRoo, I didn't but I should have.  This was several years ago.  I did stop recommending them (I used to get lots of compliments and inquiries about their outfits).

The straw that broke the camel's back was when the clerk tried to bully me, insisting that my information was safe in their system and I would not get any more advance notices of sales or discount coupons unless I answered the questions.  I really wanted the items, :( but I put them on the counter, walked out and never spent another dime there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:04:56 PM by veronaz »

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »
I've mentioned before that I worked in a grocery store for a few years. We'd always had secret shoppers but toward the end of my employment they added two new fun things  ::).

They'd get executive staff to go into random stores in street clothes and pretend to be customers. There were very specific things you were supposed to do (make eye contact, give a verbal greeting, ask if you could offer any assistance, mention your department's special sale item, offer a sample if they expressed an interest in an item, etc.). If you missed any of the attributes you'd get a 5 minute lecture on customer service, aka "coaching". We had to roll-play these scenarios with our coworkers. We even had to keep a log with each department manager's signature to prove that every employee had roll-played that day.

The 2nd thing they added were "selling suggestions". You were supposed to glance in the customer's basket, make a note of what they were buying, and suggest an item from your department that tied in. For example, customer has an angel food cake, suggest some fresh strawberries. Customer has steaks, suggest some corn to grill with them. Or, customer asks where the frozen broccoli is, direct her to the fresh. It was absolutely ridiculous. People complained at us constantly. I had one customer literally set her hand basket down and walk out of the store. I felt so horrible. Here this poor lady just wanted to grab a few things and I had literally driven her out of the store by being annoying.  :(

We all hated it, but if you got caught not doing it, you could get written up. Fortunately that only lasted a few months and then "they" claimed we weren't getting enough work done having to spend so much time interacting with customers (because you never knew who was a secret or company shopper, so you had to go through all this with every. single. person!) Yeah, that was the problem. We weren't doing it correctly so it was taking too long. Based on the number of people who requested comment cards just from me, I'm guessing what happened is their genius ideas to drive up sales resulted in a noticeable loss of customers. So yes, contacting corporate and letting them know their new ideas stink really does work!

PeterM

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:49 PM »

"So you were lying before, then?"

I really hate this stuff. I try not to take it out on the cashiers, but they're the ones who are actively lying to me when they insist the information is necessary, like the cashier did to you.