Author Topic: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?  (Read 12402 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »

The 2nd thing they added were "selling suggestions". You were supposed to glance in the customer's basket, make a note of what they were buying, and suggest an item from your department that tied in. For example, customer has an angel food cake, suggest some fresh strawberries. Customer has steaks, suggest some corn to grill with them. Or, customer asks where the frozen broccoli is, direct her to the fresh. It was absolutely ridiculous. People complained at us constantly. I had one customer literally set her hand basket down and walk out of the store. I felt so horrible. Here this poor lady just wanted to grab a few things and I had literally driven her out of the store by being annoying.  :(

And of course, Corporate is ignoring the fact that, as a customer, the LAST thing I want to do, once I've gotten all the way through the store and am FINALLY at the checkout, is go BACK into the store for some other stupid thing.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
I read somewhere that when Walmart went to Germany there were a lot of complaints about people feeling harassed by the greeters.

Dr. F.

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 05:50:41 PM »
I read somewhere that when Walmart went to Germany there were a lot of complaints about people feeling harassed by the greeters.

I feel kinda harassed by them too, and I'm American. I seem to recall a study which showed that "city people" prefer to be left alone while they shop, unless they have a specific question, while "country people" prefer to chit-chat and be greeted. (I may be mangling the results, as I'm operating off of memory here.) I don't consider myself a city girl, but I do prefer to be left alone.

I wonder if that doesn't play into Corp. minds, in that they think their customers are whatever and thus will prefer constant interaction, even though they themselves don't. If correct, it's pretty condescending.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 08:15:49 PM »
I sometimes wonder what is wrong with the people that come up with this crap at corporate.  Do they live in a parallel dimension that the rest of us don't know about?

It's because they don't live in the "real world" of delivering the actual service, so they're clueless about the circumstances that dictate what works and what doesn't. 

We see the same thing in education -- people in government agencies or universities (who haven't been in a classroom in years, or possibly have never been) telling us how to teach.

Alli8098

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »
I've completely avoided one of the maternity stores by my local mall after my one and only visit.  The young store clerks didn't even greet me or ask if I needed assistance (this was a small store so I could be seen when I entered).  And then when I made my purchase they were insistent for my personal info so I could start receiving special offers.  They were put off when I refused and barely said a word as I was rung up.  It's one thing to be pushy for that info and another to get an attitude when a patron says no.

And now that I need some more maternity items I'll be going somewhere else.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »
I sometimes wonder what is wrong with the people that come up with this crap at corporate.  Do they live in a parallel dimension that the rest of us don't know about?

It's because they don't live in the "real world" of delivering the actual service, so they're clueless about the circumstances that dictate what works and what doesn't. 

We see the same thing in education -- people in government agencies or universities (who haven't been in a classroom in years, or possibly have never been) telling us how to teach.

I think its part inexperience and part trying to minimize a talent and skill into a "paint by numbers" formula.

If you analyze successful sales people/companies , things like using names and making suggestion are really common but they happen organically as part of the process not as part of a MUST DO check list "Make a suggestion in each department".   When the goal is good service , you offer help when someone looks flummoxed  it feels naturaland helpful and like good service because it is natural , helpful and good service.    When the goal is "CRUD MONKEYS! I'll be fired if this is a mystery shopper and I don't make a related suggestion. Hurry , think , think , think ;What goes with a box of wine, pita chips and hummus.....I'm going with Red solo cups " it feels forced and creepy and possibly offensive because it is.   

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »

The 2nd thing they added were "selling suggestions". You were supposed to glance in the customer's basket, make a note of what they were buying, and suggest an item from your department that tied in. For example, customer has an angel food cake, suggest some fresh strawberries. Customer has steaks, suggest some corn to grill with them. Or, customer asks where the frozen broccoli is, direct her to the fresh. It was absolutely ridiculous. People complained at us constantly. I had one customer literally set her hand basket down and walk out of the store. I felt so horrible. Here this poor lady just wanted to grab a few things and I had literally driven her out of the store by being annoying.  :(

And of course, Corporate is ignoring the fact that, as a customer, the LAST thing I want to do, once I've gotten all the way through the store and am FINALLY at the checkout, is go BACK into the store for some other stupid thing.

I wasn't a cashier, this was in my department (produce) and every department was supposed to do it, including people who worked stocking the aisles. So a customer could easily be hit up 4 or 5 times in a shopping trip. Fun, huh?!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:45:33 PM by JenJay »

Roses

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »
Mr. Bottlecaps works in auto parts. Almost all auto parts come with some sort of warranty or another, whether it's three months or a lifetime warranty. Some parts houses ask for your name and/or phone number to put in the system so if you need to use the warranty, they can quickly look up the purchase and verify that you in fact bought that part at that retailer (or in some cases, that particular location).

OP here.  I was buying makeup.  In a high end, department store.  That is not under warranty and they do NOT need my personal info to complete that purchase.  I e-mailed the store and complained, from my "spam" e-mail address.  I'm not going to send a letter, because, any good, decent, well respected letter would have...my name, address, etc.  And, not willing to share that with this place.  I won't be going back.

LETitbe

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
The other reason you may be asked a zip code is to validate a credit/debit card, but this would obviously be after you've swiped it. Just wanted to throw this out there, so people don't think every request is violating your privacy.

That said, I really could care less about a store doing market research by asking my zip code...I mean, it's really not a "violation of my privacy" to do so, IMO. I already use rewards cards and credit cards, so they really already have access to that kind of info. If someone asks for an email address I say "no thanks" and have never been hassled. If someone pushed me, I'd go with "I know you have to ask, but I'm not interested in providing that information".

Mary Lennox

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
If someone asks for my postcode, I usually put on my "thinking face" and say "I have no idea, we just moved and I can never remember it."

LETitbe

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
Mr. Bottlecaps works in auto parts. Almost all auto parts come with some sort of warranty or another, whether it's three months or a lifetime warranty. Some parts houses ask for your name and/or phone number to put in the system so if you need to use the warranty, they can quickly look up the purchase and verify that you in fact bought that part at that retailer (or in some cases, that particular location).

Ahhh I see...I applied for and was offered a job at a department store, and they have really crappy policies for people selling cosmetics. It made me super uncomfortable. Luckily, I was offered a better job elsewhere. Honestly, I feel bad for the salesperson (if they were otherwise kind and helpful) and hope that corporate receives your letter and others like it and reconsiders their policies.
OP here.  I was buying makeup.  In a high end, department store.  That is not under warranty and they do NOT need my personal info to complete that purchase.  I e-mailed the store and complained, from my "spam" e-mail address.  I'm not going to send a letter, because, any good, decent, well respected letter would have...my name, address, etc.  And, not willing to share that with this place.  I won't be going back.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
The auto parts warrantee thing from a previous poster reminds me.

I bought my daughter riding boots today. In order for me to get the full coverage guarantee, they needed all my information. I get so  many catalogs and junk mail already, I did not want to give them. But they didn't explain why they needed all the information until after I declined to supply it. So now I expect I'll start getting another catalog and flyers that I don't want.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »

If there's a good reason for my information, that benefits *me*, and and the cashier explains it, I may give it. "So we can send you spam" is not a good reason.

In general,  if I find shopping at a store annoying, and I can purchase the goods somewhere else, I will simply stop shopping there.  I'm generally only interested in making a formal complaint if I think it will actually be useful to me - something that can be addressed immediately, or for smaller businesses where the manager actually has power to change. For a large chain, with decisions made at headquarters, it's not really worth my time to look up the address and write a complaint letter if I've got other, less annoying options.

Peppergirl

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 11:51:38 PM »
I guess I don't understand how it's a violation of privacy to give a zip code.   :-\

I'm honestly not trying to be snarky or start anything, I'm genuinely baffled...can one of you explain?

I surely understand it on phone numbers, email addys and home address, etc.

I love EHell!  I learn so much. :)

Roses

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 12:14:51 AM »
The form I was asked to fill out included name, address, phone number, email address.  Zip code I don't care about...