Author Topic: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?  (Read 12765 times)

Peppergirl

Re: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 12:29:23 AM »
Oh, yes Roses..sorry!  I meant some of the other comments from PP's who have advised they don't want to give zip codes for privacy reasons.

GreenBird

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 12:44:10 AM »
I guess I don't understand how it's a violation of privacy to give a zip code.   :-\

I'm honestly not trying to be snarky or start anything, I'm genuinely baffled...can one of you explain?

I surely understand it on phone numbers, email addys and home address, etc.

I love EHell!  I learn so much. :)

Apparently your zip code combined with the name from your credit card can be enough to uniquely identify you when those items are combined with consumer information databases that companies can buy.  The info then matches you with your address, purchasing history, and whatever other data they've mined from other sources.  It's downright creepy. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 01:02:59 AM »
I was at a store today and was asked (as is often the case these days) for personal information at checkout.  This happened AFTER I had already handed over my credit card.  I used my standard "No Thank You" line...but the clerk was persistent.  Was I rude?  The conversation went like this:

Clerk:  Please fill this out.
Me:  No thank you.
Her:  We need this information for your purchase.
Me:  No thank you. 
Clerk:  We have to have this information in our system in order to complete your.
Me:  I am not giving you my personal information.
Clerk:  Rings up purchase and was very polite the rest of the transaction. 

And obviously did NOT need the information to execute the transaction.  Had she insisted, I would have left without purchasing.

Any other suggestions for how to handle?

I'd honestly be baffled at this question, as I've never heard it before. Sometimes at museums and galleries I get asked for my post code, but never for detailed personal information at a regular shop. My reaction would be to blurt out "Why on earth do you need my personal information for this item?!"
I read somewhere that asking for your Postal/Zip Code when you used a credit card was to help prevent the use of stolen cards.  If their computer says that your zipcode is 12345 and you tell them 10203, it might be that you are using a card that isn't yours. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 01:13:40 AM »
I sometimes wonder what is wrong with the people that come up with this crap at corporate.  Do they live in a parallel dimension that the rest of us don't know about?  What normal, rational human being going about their daily life thinks that some of the things read about in this thread are a good idea?

Let's make our customers, feel spied on, hassled and pressured to buy more stuff, that will really make them happier loyal customers.  Newsflash to corporate everywhere: not everything has to be "FUN", sometimes people are just doing their chores because they have to do them, not because they want to.

I truly do not understand where they think up some of these bizarre things they want their employees to do.  The yelling at you at the pizza place seems extremely unsettling to me.  Hope no one with social anxiety issues got pizza from them when they were going through this phase.

I wish someday one of these people could sit me down and explain their thinking because it is something that truly baffles me and seems to defy good simple common sense.
40 years ago, I worked at a cashier's job for a few months in Alaska.  Corporate office was in Seattle.  Word came down from corporate that Post Office boxes weren't sufficient addresses on personal checks.  (Yes, this was the era of the personal check.  No debit cards back in those days, children! and credit cards tended to be used only for major purchases.)  Corporate says "They have to live in a house or apartment somewhere!  They don't live in that PO Box!"

I got a whole bunch of grizzled sourdoughs complaining about that.  Yes, they lived in a house, out in the boonies somewhere.  No street address, often enough no streets at all.  They got in and out on snow machines or private bush planes.

I finally took to telling them to make something up.  1234 Back of Beyond Road. 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 07:58:35 AM »
I always feel kind of sorry for the local Michael's clerks; they ask for a zip code and I bet their computers aren't set up for Mexican zip codes- we get a lot of shoppers up from Mexico.

menley

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »
Yes, in Texas (and most other places I've traveled in the US), a zip code check is a fraud prevention check. If you don't give them the zip code that matches the credit card billing statement, the transaction is denied by the credit card company. I've had that happen numerous times when I moved (changing zip codes) and put in the old zip code without thinking.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2014, 11:08:56 AM »
Yes, in Texas (and most other places I've traveled in the US), a zip code check is a fraud prevention check. If you don't give them the zip code that matches the credit card billing statement, the transaction is denied by the credit card company. I've had that happen numerous times when I moved (changing zip codes) and put in the old zip code without thinking.

How do they cope with international credit cards? Is there some sort of check so they only validate US credit cards?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

menley

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »

How do they cope with international credit cards? Is there some sort of check so they only validate US credit cards?

I have no idea, actually. I do live overseas now and occasionally try to buy things from US companies online, with my foreign credit card, and oftentimes the foreign credit card will be rejected online because the zip code doesn't match the expected format (here it's a 4-digit code rather than 5). I think that's the limits of the web system, though, and not the credit card processing system.

In general, the US has some issues with international credit cards (for example, chip + pin technology isn't prevalent there). I've been in stores before where an international credit card has been declined for whatever reason, and the employee's only option is for the customer to locate an ATM and bring in cash.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
4-digits here as well. We had some issues buying train tickets at Newark but ended up just entering a NYC zipcode and it went through without problems. I've never had any issues shopping online though.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

knitwicca

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »
RooRoo, I didn't but I should have.  This was several years ago.  I did stop recommending them (I used to get lots of compliments and inquiries about their outfits).

The straw that broke the camel's back was when the clerk tried to bully me, insisting that my information was safe in their system and I would not get any more advance notices of sales or discount coupons unless I answered the questions.  I really wanted the items, :( but I put them on the counter, walked out and never spent another dime there.

This is called "data mining".  Many stores are owned by the same company ( Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body for example).  The cashier may not know that the information is sent to corporate and shared between all the companies under their umbrella.

Alli8098

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
I was told by my store manager when working retail as recently as 2011 that the zip code is for demographic info to know where our customer base was coming from.  Supposedly to see where to build more stores and which zip codes to distribute coupons to.  However we were not to ask more then once and to take no for an answer.  Good thing is we only had to collect the data for only a month or two and then it was to business as usual.

Amara

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
I feel for those working the front lines who have to ask for such information, but I am not giving it. However, rather than making their jobs harder I simply make up the information. You want a zip code? How about 12345? It works. Or I know that Arizona begins, at least I think it does, with 845 so I just add two numbers to that even though I live in California. I also do not carry grocery store cards so I just enter the general phone number of the largest employer in my area. It works.

I began doing this a long time ago because I didn't want to make anyone's job harder or be unpleasant about refusing. And it works for me. Corporate gets zip, the cashier gets an easy transaction, and I get out of there, privacy intact.

MurPl1

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »
I'm currently swapping over to a different credit card company for my store and the one i"m currently with has an option to collect zip codes.  We do not have to collect it for the transaction to be processed.  But for some reason we get charged more per transaction when we don't include the zip.

mmswm

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
I use my local area code plus 867-5309 if asked to provide a phone number.  I've only had one cashier "get it".  Young kid, who smirked a little bit and then jokingly shouted "Jenny!  I've finally found you!"

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

knitwicca

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2014, 05:23:27 PM »
I use my local area code plus 867-5309 if asked to provide a phone number.  I've only had one cashier "get it".  Young kid, who smirked a little bit and then jokingly shouted "Jenny!  I've finally found you!"
;)