Author Topic: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?  (Read 12435 times)

menley

Re: When "No Thank You" dosen't work...what next?
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
I read somewhere that asking for your Postal/Zip Code when you used a credit card was to help prevent the use of stolen cards.  If their computer says that your zipcode is 12345 and you tell them 10203, it might be that you are using a card that isn't yours.
So every time an employee uses a corporate card it would be flagged as fraud? No. The "it's for security" purposes is the lie they tell you to make you think giving them valuable marketing data is good for you rather than good for them.

I always provide 90210 as a ZIP and for a phone number I use the phone company's customer service line. It's like 765-FONE, but when you actually say 765-3663 most employees don't know or don't care. Certainly when I've used 90210 in the past, I've had cahsiers say that's the one they get the most. (Or did back in the 1990s.)

I'm not sure what corporate cards have to do with anything, but as I've stated in earlier posts, I HAVE had credit card purchases rejected when I accidentally typed in the incorrect zip code.

Susiqzer

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
And this kind of badgering is why I stopped shopping at a certain Tween clothing store. I was badgered over $4 and my information.
Yes, I know there are quotas but this is truly what happened to me the last time I shopped there -with DD and DH. If we hadn't had been in a hurry to get out of there, I definitely would have spoken to the manager about it.

While we were getting checked out:

Cashier: What's your phone number?
Me: It's unlisted, we don't give it out.
Cashier: What's your e-mail address?
Me: I don't give that out, either.
Cashier: It's just for coupons, so that you can save money. Give me your e-mail address.
Me: No, thanks, I don't want to receive coupons.
Cashier: (rolls her eyes at me and rings up transaction). It comes to $46.00. If you spend another $4, you earn $25.00 in StoreBucks and get a coupon for X% off your next purchase.
Me: No, thanks. Let's just pay for what we have here.
Cashier: It's only another $4. We have underwear, necklaces and candy that would help you meet that price.

At this point, DH steps in and says, "No thank you".

Cashier: Oh come on! It's only $4! And you get all these StoreBucks and a coupon!
Me: No, thank you.
SA: No necklaces, or underwear? It's only $4!
DH: We just would like to pay for what we have. We don't use StoreBucks. In fact, I'll give YOU $50.00 to stop trying to sell them to us.
Cashier: $4 isn't much and I know your DD was looking at the mustache necklaces earlier.

At this point, SA turns to DD and asks her if she doesn't want a necklace.

All three of us just stood there and looked at her - trying the use of Complete Silence to get her to finally understand "no".

Cashier: You're killing me! It's only another $4! And you can get a COUPON. (Tone implying we are stupid for not wanting the coupon).

Me: Actually, YOU are killing ME. Please finish the transaction.

Cashier finally gave up, finished the transaction, shoved the receipt into the bag, and tossed the purchase at us. Didn't thank us and I could tell she was angry.

See, I don't want to take this kind of thing out on the cashier, but this one BADGERED us. I did complain to corporate about it and they replied back saying they would be "retraining" her. But the way she badgered us ensured I would never return to the store. I was the most furious when she tried to upsell my daughter directly when it didn't work with us, no matter how many times we said no.

I had a similar conversation at a sports store once. She requested my phone (no!), my email (still no!), and then when I used a credit card, asked for my license. (Oh heck no!)

Sorry, Miss Cashier, you don't get to request enough information to commit identity fraud, even in the name of protecting my identity. When I pointed out that she was violating the terms of her store's agreement with MasterCard by requesting identification (yes, I was curious and looked it up after a thread on the topic!), and that requesting my name, address, phone number, email, and drivers license number for a $20 purchase was ridiculous. The people in line behind me were all having little "aha!" moments of their own... no one complained, even though it made the transaction last a couple extra minutes.

This was not that store's policy to request a license for every credit card transaction, just one cashier who was taking it upon herself to check everyone's identity. I appreciate the thought, but not in conjunction with all of the other requests for information.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
The local cable company often asks for my Social Security number :o before they'll proceed with a business transaction.  I don't know if they already got it somehow and expect me to match it or if they're trying to get it.  There is no reason on earth why the cable company needs my SSN. 

When I refuse to give it, I'm told that they require it "for my protection".  What I need is protection from unethical, money-grubbing, lying companies like them.  The cable company is near the bottom of the list of businesses I trust.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

LETitbe

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »
The local cable company often asks for my Social Security number :o before they'll proceed with a business transaction.  I don't know if they already got it somehow and expect me to match it or if they're trying to get it.  There is no reason on earth why the cable company needs my SSN. 

When I refuse to give it, I'm told that they require it "for my protection".  What I need is protection from unethical, money-grubbing, lying companies like them.  The cable company is near the bottom of the list of businesses I trust.

All the cable companies I've called required a SSN to sign up. They all ran credit checks before they would let me sign on. Therefore, if I later called with an issue, I'd assume they asked for SSN for verification. If I was really opposed to providing my SSN at that time (which would seem pointless, as they already have access to it), I'd just simply say "What other information can you use to verify identity?", which I've had to do lots of times with other companies asking things I'd forgot lol.

ETA: If I distrusted a cable company so much, I wouldn't do business with them. Which I didn't, for two years, when I lived in an area only covered by dish networks I didn't trust. I went without cable and internet instead.

shortstuff

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »
And this kind of badgering is why I stopped shopping at a certain Tween clothing store. I was badgered over $4 and my information.
Yes, I know there are quotas but this is truly what happened to me the last time I shopped there -with DD and DH. If we hadn't had been in a hurry to get out of there, I definitely would have spoken to the manager about it.

While we were getting checked out:

Cashier: What's your phone number?
Me: It's unlisted, we don't give it out.
Cashier: What's your e-mail address?
Me: I don't give that out, either.
Cashier: It's just for coupons, so that you can save money. Give me your e-mail address.
Me: No, thanks, I don't want to receive coupons.
Cashier: (rolls her eyes at me and rings up transaction). It comes to $46.00. If you spend another $4, you earn $25.00 in StoreBucks and get a coupon for X% off your next purchase.
Cashier: It's only another $4. We have underwear, necklaces and candy that would help you meet that price.

Cashier: Oh come on! It's only $4! And you get all these StoreBucks and a coupon!
DH: We just would like to pay for what we have. We don't use StoreBucks. In fact, I'll give YOU $50.00 to stop trying to sell them to us.
Cashier: $4 isn't much and I know your DD was looking at the mustache necklaces earlier.

At this point, Cashier turns to DD and asks her if she doesn't want a necklace.

All three of us just stood there and looked at her - trying the use of Complete Silence to get her to finally understand "no".

Cashier: You're killing me! It's only another $4! And you can get a COUPON. (Tone implying we are stupid for not wanting the coupon).

Me: Actually, YOU are killing ME. Please finish the transaction.

Cashier finally gave up, finished the transaction, shoved the receipt into the bag, and tossed the purchase at us. Didn't thank us and I could tell she was angry.

See, I don't want to take this kind of thing out on the cashier, but this one BADGERED us. I did complain to corporate about it and they replied back saying they would be "retraining" her. But the way she badgered us ensured I would never return to the store. I was the most furious when she tried to upsell my daughter directly when it didn't work with us, no matter how many times we said no.

I think I used to work for this store.  And unfortunately, I don't think complaining to the store manager would have worked.  The computer keeps a running total of "missed opportunities" where you almost qualify for the coupons but don't reach the mark.  My manager would have badgered ME about why couldn't I just get that $4 of upsell.  And I was the assistant manager!  They just don't seem to understand that not everyone is in love with their store and need to make another visit and get $xx worth of merchandise before they can even use that "awesome $25 coupon." 

LETitbe

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
I read somewhere that asking for your Postal/Zip Code when you used a credit card was to help prevent the use of stolen cards.  If their computer says that your zipcode is 12345 and you tell them 10203, it might be that you are using a card that isn't yours.
So every time an employee uses a corporate card it would be flagged as fraud? No. The "it's for security" purposes is the lie they tell you to make you think giving them valuable marketing data is good for you rather than good for them.

I always provide 90210 as a ZIP and for a phone number I use the phone company's customer service line. It's like 765-FONE, but when you actually say 765-3663 most employees don't know or don't care. Certainly when I've used 90210 in the past, I've had cahsiers say that's the one they get the most. (Or did back in the 1990s.)

No, most corporate cards are tied to individuals, therefore would have their ID registered. Or the individual would know the business's zip. I've had cards rejected when I entered my current zip, forgetting the card was registered at a previous address, on several occasions. It's not a conspiracy (though I've also had some go through with the wrong zip, so it's not foolproof, either).

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »

All the cable companies I've called required a SSN to sign up. They all ran credit checks before they would let me sign on. Therefore, if I later called with an issue, I'd assume they asked for SSN for verification. If I was really opposed to providing my SSN at that time (which would seem pointless, as they already have access to it), I'd just simply say "What other information can you use to verify identity?", which I've had to do lots of times with other companies asking things I'd forgot lol.

ETA: If I distrusted a cable company so much, I wouldn't do business with them. Which I didn't, for two years, when I lived in an area only covered by dish networks I didn't trust. I went without cable and internet instead.

My cable/internet and cell phone companies asks for the last 4 digits to verify identity.   I like that better.  I'm assuming that in general the CS can only see the last 4 digits, which I think is a good idea.

Another Sarah

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2014, 04:53:56 AM »

My cable/internet and cell phone companies asks for the last 4 digits to verify identity.   I like that better.  I'm assuming that in general the CS can only see the last 4 digits, which I think is a good idea.

No, the CS can generally see the whole number.
The UK data protection act (and I guess its equivalent in the US) prevent companies from supplying a whole bank AC number to a third party, even if they are the account holder (in case it's actually not the account holder and you've just given their bank details away) They can only supply four digits.
I used to work for a bank and part of my job when setting up new supplier bank accounts for payment was to confirm the bank account details with the supplier. Some bright spark in management's idea to catch any typos in the forms. IT was completely idiotic but they would not be dissuaded. I have never done a job I hated more
"hello, this is Another Sarah from Bank. We are setting you up as a supplier on the system and I need to confirm the bank details you'd like us to pay to"
"It's on the invoice"
"Yes, it's bank policy to confirm the details for a new supplier before we make the first payment. Are the last four digits XXXX?"
"Yes"
"Can you confirm the first four?"
"NO! THIS SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE A SCAM! THIEF!" *click*

You can't blame the suppliers for being suspicious - it did sound exactly like a scam. Problem was, if I couldn't confirm the bank details I wasn't allowed to set the supplier up, meaning they didn't get paid. Cue another round of irate phonecalls from the supplier. It was awful, stupid, made the bank look really bad, and as far as I know, they still do it today

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »
I live in a suburb that has a single ZIP code.  The local Michael's asks every customer at checkout for their ZIP code.  I'm sure that 999 out of 1000 customers have the same ZIP.  Why don't the cashiers just enter the ZIP without slowing the checkout line down further by asking???   Well, one time when the cashier asked for my ZIP, I said, "I live in [our town]".  She didn't know the ZIP code  ::).

It is annoying to be asked for personal information, but I know that the cashiers are only doing it because they have to, and it's a minor annoyance, so I'm always polite but firm.  It's a very minor thing, not worth getting upset or nasty about.  To me, the test of etiquette is how you act when things don't go exactly as you'd like.

I did ask about zip codes and was told that it was how they determine where to put stores.  So zip code is the only piece I will give out because I would LOVE not to have to travel 30 miles to Tuesday Morning.

Anything else?  Nope.

Ahh, is that what it is? Now that wouldn't bother me so long as they put a store in one of the many empty storefronts in our town.  Hobby Lobby took over an empty cabinet store and 2nd and Charles took over what was a Borders, as I think our town's pretty good about not putting up new buildings unnecessarily if they can get the store into an existing, empty storefront.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

m2kbug

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »

<snip>

<snip>

Any time someone tells me it's ONLY X-dollars, I put a different value on it:  It's not ONLY $10.  Ten dollars can buy 4 gallons of milk.   A couple gallons of milk and two boxes of cereal.  I could get two loaves of bread, peanut butter and jelly, and lunch meat.  I can get a package of hamburger and toilet paper for $10.  It's not ONLY $10, it's lunch next week. 

This is where the APPS get you.  It's ONLY A DOLLAR, until you've spent $30, a dollar a day for a month.  Also notice how some of those coupons expire in about a week or two and only applies if you spend a minimum of X dollars, that is if you don't promptly lose it.

Vall

« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with this where we normally shop.  Some will ask and I say no.  They immediately say, "That's okay, you don't have to".  I don't think I'd frequent anywhere that harassed me for information.  If someone did harass me, I'd have no problem with quietly walking out, leaving my items behind.

I say no once and expect them to accept my answer.  I would probably say no twice if needed.  If they don't respect my answer twice, I'm not answering a third time.  I understand that the cashier is doing what he/she is told but I'm not going to put up with it.  That's probably why I don't have to deal with this where we normally shop.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »
My grocery store has that "donate a dollar for cause and get scratch off game where you can win prizes" which are usually coupons or a free item although it says there are some cash prizes. I know cashiers have to ask each customer if the want one. One cashier used to ask "Would you like to buy charity ticket for a dollar - although I know you probably already bought one last time". Which made a no so much easier to say - even if you never bought one of the tickets!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2014, 03:23:54 PM »
My grocery store has that "donate a dollar for cause and get scratch off game where you can win prizes" which are usually coupons or a free item although it says there are some cash prizes. I know cashiers have to ask each customer if the want one. One cashier used to ask "Would you like to buy charity ticket for a dollar - although I know you probably already bought one last time". Which made a no so much easier to say - even if you never bought one of the tickets!

When cashiers ask for donations, I usually just say "Not today."

gellchom

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »
I usually say "not today," too, if I don't want to add a dollar or round up for charity.

It has been very interesting learning in this discussion about the reasons companies do this, the requirements placed on cashiers, and how the information is or may be used.

Getting back to the etiquette issues, though, I still feel that whatever the reason for the request for information, there is no need for or benefit to being nasty or even short with the cashier about it.  "Sorry, I'd rather not" has always worked just fine for me.  It gets the job done just as well as ragging on them about it or an abrupt "No," and it keeps everyone's day a little more pleasant.

Miss March

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Recently deceased comedian, John Pinette, does a very funny bit about being asked for info when making a purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_KRtj351kE
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo