2 (1.5%)
Eat the ears off the chocolate bunny
8 (6%)
Candy!
29 (21.6%)
Other
14 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: What are your Easter traditions?  (Read 1451 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
What are your Easter traditions?
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:15:36 PM »
I was thinking about what we will do for Easter next Sunday and wondering what the rest of you do?

Growing up, my father would go to the feed store and buy baby ducks, chicks and rabbits. Once they grew up, they went to a petting zoo at our city zoo. We always dressed up in our Easter dresses, hats, frilly socks and shoes. We went to church, then had Easter dinner and only then could we hunt for Easter eggs. We each got a basket every year.

My son got a basket until he was 12. We go to church, but not in particularly Easter clothes. We will have a festive meal with my mother-in-law and a special dessert. There will be small chocolate Easter bunnies for each of us.

My church usually hosts a community Easter egg hunt, but this year the park where we have it was booked.

Vall

Re: What are your Easter traditions?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
Since I became an adult, I've lived far from my family.  DH and I really don't do anything special for Easter other than to watch a few holiday-themed movies.

I voted for eat the ears off the bunny because that's what I always did when I was a kid.  Sometimes we dressed up and went to church but that didn't have any meaning for me.  My parents always got me an Easter basket but they never pretended the Easter bunny was real.  Still, good times and candy!

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »
Church--but it's Holy Saturday rather than Easter Sunday

Family meal on Easter Sunday

Lamb is a tradition

Candy!  Ferraro Rocher candy is my DS's favorite

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Vall

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:17:28 AM »
Church--but it's Holy Saturday rather than Easter Sunday

Family meal on Easter Sunday

Lamb is a tradition

Candy!  Ferraro Rocher candy is my DS's favorite
That's one of my favorites too but I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to pronounce it.  Can someone tell me how to pronounce it so I can stop telling my DH that I want the gold ball things?  He knows what I'm describing but I'd prefer to say their actual name.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »
Fa-reh-ro Ro-shay

missmolly

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:43:53 AM »
Aside from the traditional pork and lamb that we usually have, my lovely cousin has started a slightly macabre tradition, (three years running) of serving up Nigella Lawson's Hot Cross Bunny recipe, (aka rabbit curry). Since no one in the family has ever had one as a pet, we'll all happily partake in it  >:D
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

darling

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
My mom and I do easter baskets for all of the grandkids (ages just born to my son, who will be 20 the day after easter). We also fill a ton of plastic eggs with candy, and hide them for an easter egg hunt. Any leftover candy that won't divide out goes into the "parent bowl" where it is free-game to anyone who didn't get an easter basket. Mom and I buy all the candy, and either I hide the eggs, or one of my sisters does. It is hilarious watching all of the little ones run around looking for eggs. We save the plastic eggs from year to year. There are usually enough that each kid gets about 20 eggs, LOL...  >:D

mime

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »
I've been really trying to de-emphasize candy at Easter. The kids get some chocolate and jellybeans, and Peeps of course, but no big hunt for the goodies; it is just out on a table in a big basket.

We've made a new tradition of Peep-fights: put two Peeps in the microwave, facing each other, each with a toothpick stuck in them to look like they're holding swords. Run the microwave for 1-2 minutes. As the Peeps expand, they will appear to swordfight.  ;D

Church is our main tradition. The regular members at our church have been asked to attend on Saturday if possible to make more room for first-time and infrequent visitors on Sunday (it gets very crowded on Christmas and Easter). DH is very very traditional so I was worried he wouldn't like this idea, but he accepted it as a kindness he can do for others, so we're going on Saturday instead.

I remember my mom making me a new dress every year for easter. It would be my 'good' dress for the year, and I always loved it. Now that I have a daughter of my own (9months) even though I haven't been dressing her in very girly things, I did get her a ruffly dress for Easter.

heartmug

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
Church.  Easter egg hunt with nickels, dimes and quarters in the plastic eggs after a lunch with ham and several side dishes.  Then watching a baseball game if it is on.  My brother used to host, for years, but now I will with a smaller group.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Vall

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
I always play my trumpet in church and this year I will also be singing the choir cantata.  Then, Easter breakfast and an Easter egg hunt, then family meal.  My mom hides baskets and eggs for the kids, but there isn't much focus on candy.  :)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »
As an adult, I didn't do much.  I don't like the crowds, so I don't go to church on that day. 
But I have a 3-year-old, so lots of new traditions are being added.  Including photo with Easter Bunny this year. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
Our church has services Saturday evening and then 5 on Sunday morning. Also, there is an Easter sunrise service at SeaWorld that is very popular.

blueyzca01

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »
When I was a kid, my momís family always did Easter egg painting with wax.  You can Google it or look it up on YouTube. 

Itís very fun but man, itís time-consuming.   And people donít seem to appreciate the effort, which is probably why I donít do it anymore. 

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »
Oh, and DH and I will be coloring eggs with DS in a Star Wars theme this year.