Author Topic: Passover ! what are you favorite dishes, traditions?  (Read 2766 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Passover ! what are you favorite dishes, traditions?
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »
It's just DS and I - so we do a very short "seder" but we do try to have some of the traditional dishes - the hard boiled eggs, the  matza, the chicken soup - yum.

One of our fun traditions, we've been doing since DS was little, is collect throughout the years toy frogs (brownie points for jumping ones!), snakes, bugs, etc and pull them out during the recitation of the Ten Plagues.

Food wise - i love gefilte fish, i make my own red horseradish, the chicken soup with matza balls, and coconut cookies

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jmarvellous

Re: Passover ! what are you favorite dishes, traditions?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
I pretty much want to eat charoset year-round. And horseradish. And boiled eggs. And matzoh, if I could find it.
I will never eat gefilte fish, but it's a smell thing -- I've never actually tried it.

Your plagues collection sounds cute!

My school's Jewish students did a great little awareness-raising activity: a drop-in all-chocolate "seder." I was so sugared up for the rest of the day! (Yes, that's a chocolate "bone," malted-milk eggs, green M&Ms, chocolate-covered matzoh, and trail-mix "charoset"!)

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »
I pretty much want to eat charoset year-round. And horseradish. And boiled eggs. And matzoh, if I could find it.
I will never eat gefilte fish, but it's a smell thing -- I've never actually tried it.

Your plagues collection sounds cute!

My school's Jewish students did a great little awareness-raising activity: a drop-in all-chocolate "seder." I was so sugared up for the rest of the day! (Yes, that's a chocolate "bone," malted-milk eggs, green M&Ms, chocolate-covered matzoh, and trail-mix "charoset"!)

The bolded!  Yummy.  I was the chaplain's assistant at multiple Jewish congregations in the Army.  I would always volunteer to make the charoset.  Left overs!

I like the toy snakes idea.  I've used the coloring pages at TorahTots.com with children and adults.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

gellchom

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »
My husband is a cantor, so as you can imagine, we have a lot of music at our seder. 

I love that my family comes from far and wide.  It's so much fun to cook and set the table together.  This is my favorite holiday.

My family always had a tradition of everyone at some point saying something on the topic of freedom.  And so my husband and I have continued that.  It is so interesting to hear the different places people take that theme. 

Toy frogs and the like are great for little kids, but be sure to build up some other traditions, too, so that there is meaning for the adults, too, especially when the family is in a stage with no little ones.

We still have the Ashkenazi apple-walnut-wine-cinnamon charoset, but two years ago our Persian-Israeli future son-in-law's grandmother sent along with him some heavenly Persian charoset.  So now I make it, too.  Walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, apples, raisins, dates, a pear, a tiny bit of banana (I think that's what makes it pop), wine, cinnamon, cloves, cardomom, and ginger.  Mmmmm!  Heavenly the next day on matzo and cream cheese, too.

When we sing Chad Gadya, a different guest makes the sound of each animal, thing, or person.  It's silly, but it's fun, and by that point we are ready for a little silly.  You have to be creative with things like the fire (crackling candy wrappers work well, but I liked when one year our daughter-in-law waved her flaming red hair).  I am always the Butcher: "Lady, I got for you nice piece brisket!"

We have accumulated a lot of different haggadot.  Unfortunately, many were ruined in a basement flood, but we still have enough that guests can have different ones, in addition to the one we are all following, and can let everyone else know when theirs has something interesting.  (Have you seen the Jonathan Safran Foer/Nathan Englander one?  Amazing!)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:05:50 AM »
I love that chocolate seder idea! I think i'll run it by DS for next year  ;D

psst - matzah, wrapped well, freezes beautifully. just sayin'

songbird

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
I am going to try to make a Sephardic charoset this year. 

I miss my grandmother's homemade gefilte fish.  My mother buys the frozen kind, that you cook yourself.  It's close to what my grandmother made.  The stuff from the jar, not so much.

gellchom

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »
I love that chocolate seder idea! I think i'll run it by DS for next year  ;D

psst - matzah, wrapped well, freezes beautifully. just sayin'

You don't even have to freeze it.  Just keep it in a closed container (unopened box in the plastic is fine) as you would any cracker.  We eat matza all year round and so we buy a ton of our favorite brand, Yehuda, when it's available.  I've used boxes that were on my shelf for over a year, and there is zero difference.  What's it going to do, get stale?  :) 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
I am going to try to make a Sephardic charoset this year. 

I miss my grandmother's homemade gefilte fish.  My mother buys the frozen kind, that you cook yourself.  It's close to what my grandmother made.  The stuff from the jar, not so much.
COnfession time - while i am a cook-everything-from-scratch person, i love that jarred stuff!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
I *love* charoset, too.  I really should make it year-round.  :)  I also really love pickled herring.  My grandmother made it this year with boiled egg whites and apple bits, and it was delicious!  I like to make a Hillel sandwich (charoset, matzoh, and horseradish), but I'm not big on just plain matzoh.

My mom did some really interesting things this year, because it's the first year we've been able to go "home" for Pesach, and I have very little kids.  Instead of having everybody sit around the table for everything, she broke off some of the earlier parts of the Seder and had us sit in the living room and do them in a more interactive version.  She had the kids act out the story of Moses and the plagues (it was hilarious that the 3-year-old, who was supposed to be Aaron, got really into it, and she'd shout "No!" along with the 5-year-old, who was Pharaoh, and everybody would say, "Aaron!").  For the burning bush, she shook some red/orange/yellow streamers over a little cactus bush she had in a pot.  For the plagues, she passed out little frogs, cattle, cotton balls, etc., and she'd have everybody throw them at Pharaoh whenever it was time for a plague.  So funny.

Last year when I did Pesach myself, I used a fun children's Haggadah, but I had everybody sit at the table and I lost the kids' interest after a while.  So I like the idea of breaking it up a bit, even if it's non-traditional.  (I remember my brother and I falling asleep at our great-uncle's when I was a kid--it was usually 3-4 hours before you got to the food, and all in Hebrew.)

I was disappointed that my parents didn't sing Dayenu in Hebrew.  They just sang the "Dayenu" refrain and had my uncle read the words in English.  I really love the ilu hotzi-hotzianu, hotzianu mimitzrayim, etc. part.

And they didn't say Chad Gadya at all.  Oh, well.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
I *love* charoset, too.  I really should make it year-round.  :)  I also really love pickled herring.  My grandmother made it this year with boiled egg whites and apple bits, and it was delicious!  I like to make a Hillel sandwich (charoset, matzoh, and horseradish), but I'm not big on just plain matzoh.

My mom did some really interesting things this year, because it's the first year we've been able to go "home" for Pesach, and I have very little kids.  Instead of having everybody sit around the table for everything, she broke off some of the earlier parts of the Seder and had us sit in the living room and do them in a more interactive version.  She had the kids act out the story of Moses and the plagues (it was hilarious that the 3-year-old, who was supposed to be Aaron, got really into it, and she'd shout "No!" along with the 5-year-old, who was Pharaoh, and everybody would say, "Aaron!").  For the burning bush, she shook some red/orange/yellow streamers over a little cactus bush she had in a pot.  For the plagues, she passed out little frogs, cattle, cotton balls, etc., and she'd have everybody throw them at Pharaoh whenever it was time for a plague.  So funny.

Last year when I did Pesach myself, I used a fun children's Haggadah, but I had everybody sit at the table and I lost the kids' interest after a while.  So I like the idea of breaking it up a bit, even if it's non-traditional.  (I remember my brother and I falling asleep at our great-uncle's when I was a kid--it was usually 3-4 hours before you got to the food, and all in Hebrew.)

I was disappointed that my parents didn't sing Dayenu in Hebrew.  They just sang the "Dayenu" refrain and had my uncle read the words in English.  I really love the ilu hotzi-hotzianu, hotzianu mimitzrayim, etc. part.

sounds lovely! while the "breaking up" may be non-traditional, the focus should be on the children - *that* is the whole point, the telling of the story to the next generation. that's why the children ask the questions, that's why there are "different" things going on - to arouse their questions.

songbird

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »

the Rabbi at my synagogue says you have to treat your Seder like a Broadway play, make sure they're entertained and that they come back for the second act. He's known for such gimmicks and placing some red Ko-jel powder in a glass, so that when he pours water into the glass, it turns to "blood".  Plastic frogs are a "must have".  And ping pong balls make great "hail".

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »
My mom actually dropped food coloring into a glass to make the Nile turn to blood.  :)  The sort of fake-ness of it reminded me of the priests in "The Prince of Egypt," where they try to duplicate all of Moses' miracles by doing their own.

Poor Mom, apparently she was practicing ahead of time and spilled a drop of the red water on the beige carpet and can't get it out.  :(  She's very sad about it.  She's tried *everything*.  Even my Google searches couldn't come up with anything that worked for her.

And, apparently she meant to give me some pickled herring and forgot.  :(  I'm going back to her house this weekend... think it'll still be good?

kaybee

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
homemade gefilte fish here and homemade horseradish........

we had a diverse age group this year and my almost 8 yo son was the younget by far....so we put little cards under 10 of the plates and right before the plagues we played charades---all the clues were pssaover related.nothing like a 50 yo woman acting out "frogs" to make your seder fabulous.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:33:20 AM »
Poor Mom, apparently she was practicing ahead of time and spilled a drop of the red water on the beige carpet and can't get it out.  :(  She's very sad about it.  She's tried *everything*.  Even my Google searches couldn't come up with anything that worked for her.

Not even Oxiclean?  It always works on the commercials.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »

Not even Oxiclean?  It always works on the commercials.

I'll ask her.  She's tried regular carpet cleaner (Resolve), ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and several other things, I'd have to ask her which.  She said she's done messing with it and she'll just try to ignore it.  It's a lighter pink now, instead of red, at least.