General Etiquette > Holidays

Passover ! what are you favorite dishes, traditions?

(1/7) > >>

cicero:
It's just DS and I - so we do a very short "seder" but we do try to have some of the traditional dishes - the hard boiled eggs, the  matza, the chicken soup - yum.

One of our fun traditions, we've been doing since DS was little, is collect throughout the years toy frogs (brownie points for jumping ones!), snakes, bugs, etc and pull them out during the recitation of the Ten Plagues.

Food wise - i love gefilte fish, i make my own red horseradish, the chicken soup with matza balls, and coconut cookies

jmarvellous:
I pretty much want to eat charoset year-round. And horseradish. And boiled eggs. And matzoh, if I could find it.
I will never eat gefilte fish, but it's a smell thing -- I've never actually tried it.

Your plagues collection sounds cute!

My school's Jewish students did a great little awareness-raising activity: a drop-in all-chocolate "seder." I was so sugared up for the rest of the day! (Yes, that's a chocolate "bone," malted-milk eggs, green M&Ms, chocolate-covered matzoh, and trail-mix "charoset"!)

Library Dragon:

--- Quote from: jmarvellous on April 13, 2014, 05:04:41 PM ---I pretty much want to eat charoset year-round. And horseradish. And boiled eggs. And matzoh, if I could find it.
I will never eat gefilte fish, but it's a smell thing -- I've never actually tried it.

Your plagues collection sounds cute!

My school's Jewish students did a great little awareness-raising activity: a drop-in all-chocolate "seder." I was so sugared up for the rest of the day! (Yes, that's a chocolate "bone," malted-milk eggs, green M&Ms, chocolate-covered matzoh, and trail-mix "charoset"!)

--- End quote ---

The bolded!  Yummy.  I was the chaplain's assistant at multiple Jewish congregations in the Army.  I would always volunteer to make the charoset.  Left overs!

I like the toy snakes idea.  I've used the coloring pages at TorahTots.com with children and adults.

gellchom:
My husband is a cantor, so as you can imagine, we have a lot of music at our seder. 

I love that my family comes from far and wide.  It's so much fun to cook and set the table together.  This is my favorite holiday.

My family always had a tradition of everyone at some point saying something on the topic of freedom.  And so my husband and I have continued that.  It is so interesting to hear the different places people take that theme. 

Toy frogs and the like are great for little kids, but be sure to build up some other traditions, too, so that there is meaning for the adults, too, especially when the family is in a stage with no little ones.

We still have the Ashkenazi apple-walnut-wine-cinnamon charoset, but two years ago our Persian-Israeli future son-in-law's grandmother sent along with him some heavenly Persian charoset.  So now I make it, too.  Walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, apples, raisins, dates, a pear, a tiny bit of banana (I think that's what makes it pop), wine, cinnamon, cloves, cardomom, and ginger.  Mmmmm!  Heavenly the next day on matzo and cream cheese, too.

When we sing Chad Gadya, a different guest makes the sound of each animal, thing, or person.  It's silly, but it's fun, and by that point we are ready for a little silly.  You have to be creative with things like the fire (crackling candy wrappers work well, but I liked when one year our daughter-in-law waved her flaming red hair).  I am always the Butcher: "Lady, I got for you nice piece brisket!"

We have accumulated a lot of different haggadot.  Unfortunately, many were ruined in a basement flood, but we still have enough that guests can have different ones, in addition to the one we are all following, and can let everyone else know when theirs has something interesting.  (Have you seen the Jonathan Safran Foer/Nathan Englander one?  Amazing!)

cicero:
I love that chocolate seder idea! I think i'll run it by DS for next year  ;D

--- Quote from: jmarvellous on April 13, 2014, 05:04:41 PM ---I pretty much want to eat charoset year-round. And horseradish. And boiled eggs. And matzoh, if I could find it.

--- End quote ---
psst - matzah, wrapped well, freezes beautifully. just sayin'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version