Author Topic: Missing the point of a post-do I say anything? UPDATE #8  (Read 2163 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Missing the point of a post-do I say anything? UPDATE #8
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:21:06 AM »
Hi, all:

I belong to Livejournal, but rarely post there; this was my first post since January, if it matters.  Yesterday I posted about attending a cultural festival that my father would have loved, and feeling overwhelmed with memories of sharing similar events with him.  I said that as a kid and teenager, I didn't understand or appreciate doing these events.   I closed with "I miss him so much".  I think I wanted hugs or "I understand how you feel", but a friend responded "Congratulations!  That's something to be proud of!  Thanks for sharing!" 

Is there something I'm missing?  The response doesn't seem to "fit" the post, or does it?  I didn't mean it as "Finally, I get it!  I understand!"  I meant, "I miss my dad", just as I said.
Is it worth saying something?  If so, how do I do that?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:27:49 PM by guihong »

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Missing the point of a post-do I say anything?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
  I'd leave it.   Either they wildly misunderstood , used Google translate , commented on the wrong post , ?spam bot? , cut and pasted the wrong reply.  Correcting their reply is the internet equivalent of yelling at someone for not laughing at a joke/asking a stranger in the audience why they didn't cry at the sad part of the movie. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »
I'm on LJ too and have had something similar happen to me. Once I replied "Sorry? I'm not sure I understand what you mean?" Another time I just deleted the comment, because I actually found the lack of understanding offensive.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Oh Joy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
Maybe they misinterpreted your post, and were supporting you for going to this event even though it was so difficult for you.  Either way, I'd let it go.

Best wishes.

Carotte

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
You say it's a friend si you could write back ''hey friend, I think you light have posted on the wrong post ''.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
I bet you she read the headline and maybe the first paragraph.

Zizi-K

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
Connecting with one's roots and family heritage could be something to be proud of ... I would let it go. That's part of putting things out into the world - people will interpret them in wildly different ways. Plus, her post was positive and encouraging, another reason not to respond negatively.

frogonmytoe

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »
it's possible their account was hacked, that sounds like a spam comment.

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Missing the point of a post-do I say anything? UPDATE #9
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:27:04 PM »
Thank you, all :).

I had already decided to take the comment as well-meant, as she's been a very supportive person for a long time. 

I bet I know what happened.  Two years ago, her father was killed in an auto accident at a relatively young age.  It was nearly a year before my friend could go anywhere or do certain activities that she strongly associated with his memory.  When she finally did so, I and her other friends were supportive and encouraging.  She's still going through some fallout around his estate as the legalities took a very long time, which keeps this loss rather fresh.   With me, my dad died several years ago at 92, and for want of a better word, it was "easier" for me to accept, grieve, and move on.  I wasn't dreading the festival and was caught off-guard with grief for him.  That's what I was trying to get at.

Just another reminder that the people who live "inside our screens" interpret our words through the scrim of their experiences :).

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Missing the point of a post-do I say anything? UPDATE #9
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »

Just another reminder that the people who live "inside our screens" interpret our words through the scrim of their experiences :).

Ain't that the truth! Very wise of you to see that in this situation.