Author Topic: How/whether to respond to message board/FB comments....  (Read 2387 times)

Runningstar

Re: How/whether to respond to message board/FB comments....
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 06:06:34 AM »
Sorry for you all cattlekid.  I agree with pp's to stay off those message boards.  Not only is it upsetting, but since this is under investigation and your dh worked with him it is better to keep out of it.  Giving support to the coworker's family is a great thing to do.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »
As frustrating and painful as it is for you, there is no point replying.  No one will care, no one will change their position, and you'll just be indicating that you want to debate the issue - which you don't.  Things can only get worse.  I might message the family privately with a message of support, conveying your condolences on their loss, but that's about it.

I agree with this. I've had to stop reading comments on public sites on fbook and other sites that do comments because people will get an idea in their heads and there's absolutely nothing you can say which would truly convince any of them otherwise.  It's really truly astounding just how so many will claim to their ideas even in the face of hard facts and you and others would merely get a headache in the effort of trying.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mikayla

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
kherbert -

I haven't been able to get him to understand that those folks don't want to be corrected and don't care if they're not right.  They just want to be vocal and opinionated. 

Well said. 

I follow a scanner site on FB, where the admins consistently beg people not to comment unless they have updates on a breaking incident.  (They can't set the page as read only).  It doesn't matter what the admins want.  People need to make themselves part of the story, and they will say whatever it takes to make this happen.

OP, I'm sorry you're going through this.

lakey

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »
I would not respond, at least for the time being. The kind of people who are making assumptions and making comments knowing that it hurts the family, aren't going to change because of any reply you make. Arguing with them only encourages them to drag out the venting.

The problem with most of this is the anonymity, and even if names are given, the physical distance. People will say things that they would never have the guts to say to someone's face.