Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Bad advice from Dear Abby. 3rd letter.. throw potluck party for your celebration

(1/4) > >>

hopeful4:

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2014/4/14/2#disqus_thread

Abby's response is already generating some negative comments.

siamesecat2965:
Oh i saw this too! If you can't afford a big party, then do what you can. Maybe cocktails and snacks, and a few close friends.

bah12:
There's nothing wrong with potlucks.  They are a type of party and perfectly legitimate...as long as the host/hostess is still providing something and up front about what guests can expect. 

Lynnv:

--- Quote from: bah12 on April 14, 2014, 03:31:02 PM ---There's nothing wrong with potlucks.  They are a type of party and perfectly legitimate...as long as the host/hostess is still providing something and up front about what guests can expect.

--- End quote ---

I agree.

The only times I am annoyed by potlucks is when they are given for a "gifting" occasion (wedding, shower, birthday in which "no gifts" isn't stated, housewarming, etc).  An anniversary party isn't, at least in my circle, a gifting occasion.  So a potluck would be just fine.

shhh its me:

--- Quote from: Lynnv on April 14, 2014, 03:48:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: bah12 on April 14, 2014, 03:31:02 PM ---There's nothing wrong with potlucks.  They are a type of party and perfectly legitimate...as long as the host/hostess is still providing something and up front about what guests can expect.

--- End quote ---

I agree.

The only times I am annoyed by potlucks is when they are given for a "gifting" occasion (wedding, shower, birthday in which "no gifts" isn't stated, housewarming, etc).  An anniversary party isn't, at least in my circle, a gifting occasion.  So a potluck would be just fine.

--- End quote ---

I personally think "no potlucks" also applies to parties where you are the guest of honor.

*if it was someone else suggestion or already established rule for a group I think its fine*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version