Author Topic: Gluten Free Recipes  (Read 775 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Gluten Free Recipes
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 02:52:58 AM »
I just remembered another recipe i've used - it's by an israeli chef named Ben Ami. I made it for my nephew's birthday - he is not only sensitive to gluten, but also lactose intolerant poor kid, so i substituted 3/4 cup oil for the butter. This is a really good cake - even the non-GF guests loved it.

200 gram/2 sticks/one cup butter (or can use 3/4 cup oil for lactose free)
200 gram dark chocolate
5 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons corn starch or potato starch or ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder.

1. Preheat oven to 350. Melt chocolate, sugar and butter ( I do this in the microwave in 30 second increments. make sure your bowl and the spatula are dry. make sure it doesn't burn. as soon as it starts to melt, remove and start stirring. it usualy takes about one minute to melt).
2. add eggs, mix well.
3. sift flour and baking powder, stir into batter.

bake in 9inch pan or loaf pan, at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

I made a "ganache" with chocolate, oil and non dairy cream (again, i needed it to be non dairy but you could use butter and cream), and decorated with marshmallows and grated dark chocolate.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
Is peanut butter a possibility?

I have a recipe from Kraft for peanut butter cookies that only take peanut butter, sugar and eggs.  I add a little vanilla, too, and I've also added chocolate chips.  They are fantastic.

1 cup peanut butter - they recommend smooth but I don't see why crunchy wouldn't work
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg

1 tsp vanilla (my nephew's addition to the recipe)

Roll into balls and flatten with a fork (dipped in water, if needed) on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 F for 15 minutes.  DO NOT OVERBAKE.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
The only allergy in the family is mango, so peanut butter is fine. I wonder if you can use almond butter too.

bloo

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 11:00:48 AM »
My work involves baking and cooking for a health food store deli. We got so many requests for gluten-free options that I started adding gluten-free muffins to it.

Which sell for $2.50.

Each. ::)

So someone thinks they're pretty good because we can barely keep them in when I finish the batches.

The muffins in our rotation now are: Blueberry, Orange, Banana Crunch Chocolate Chip and finally, Pumpkin Apple.

With the exception of the Orange flavored, I use Pamela's Baking Mix. Here's a link to her site's recipe index:
http://www.pamelasproducts.com/all-recipes/type/

I use the mix because 1) I don't really understand the science of using the xantham gum and blending with tapioca starch, rice flour, nut flours or what have you and 2) it's really easy and very delicious. It's not, in my opinion, an exact replica of a wheat flour-based muffin, but it's close and darn good in it's own right.

Pamela's also makes an Artisan flour blend that I'm think of experimenting with the Orange muffin - as right now the Orange muffin is technically a cupcake that I use a vanilla GF cake mix (and add organic orange extract and orange peel).

If anyone is interested in these recipes using the mix, I'll post them - they're not on her website.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
I can get GF cake mix easily enough, so I will try that this weekend.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:57 PM »
This is a family favorite. It is one of those naturally gluten-free recipes. The chiles give the chocolate depth rather than spiciness.

Mexican coffee chocolate dessert

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 lbs Dark Chocolate
1/2 lb Butter
1 cup espresso (Original recipe calls for 1 cup of water and 3 spoons of instant coffee)
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 Chiles Guajillo

DIRECTIONS
  • Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler
  • Boil chiles then strain, remove the pulp from the chiles and blend with espresso. Puree chile-coffee blend in blender.
  • Add to chocolate and butter mixture and stir.
  • In separate bowl, whip the eggs and cup of sugar until well blended. Add a small amount of chocolate and butter mixture to eggs, whipping well with each addition. Add enough to slightly warm the egg mixture, then add egg mixture to the chocolate. Stir well until very smooth.
  • Place in spring form pan lined with butter and sugar
  • Cook at 300 degrees for 25 30 minutes. Cool and refrigerate