Author Topic: Holidays by yourself  (Read 5811 times)

finecabernet

Holidays by yourself
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »
It's Monday and so far no invitations for Easter (sister usually has it and she's been invited somewhere). Having and inviting family over isn't an option in my tiny place. So wondering how have you all celebrated holidays by yourself? Any special tricks to make sure it's not sad?

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
Re: Holidays by yourself
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:58:07 AM »
Lots of Easter chocolate, bunny foo-foos and a few good movies/books.

Maybe a mini spa day for yourself? Give yourself a mani/pedi/facial?

aussie_chick

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:57:06 AM »
I've done it a few times in the past. Usually Easter because it hasn't been a big deal in our family.

A couple of things I have enjoyed:
- buy your favourite foods to cook yourself your favourite meal
- your favourite, indulgent chocolate eggs/bunnies whatever
- organise some dvds or books or music you've been looking forward to
- pamper yourself - hair washing, pedicure, manicure or go to a day spa as Seraphim suggested although they're not always open on the loneliest holiday days
- sleep in!!!

or, depending on what your interests are:
- look for an event for singles in your area there might be a lunch or dinner or something like that
- look for a charity event you could volunteer at. We have "Christmas for those alone" here. There might be an Easter equivalent

Op you mentioned having family at your place isn't an option because of the size. That suggested to me there is more family around than just your sister. So if she's not hosting, what are the others doing? What about a meal out together or at one of their houses?

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »
I generally have ushering duty at church, so that's my occasion to get dressed up and see people.

aussie_chick made some good suggestions on entertaining yourself. But if you really want to be with friends/family, could you all go out to brunch/lunch if your place is really too small to entertain? (By the way, you might consider re-thinking this as a reason for not hosting. It's the people and the food that make for a good time, not the size of the venue.)

I'm having people over the week after Easter. People don't have as many scheduling conflicts then.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:02:41 AM »
I know this is vastly different from the OP's family, but when I started having holidays by myself, I noticed that I finally stopped dreading holidays.   I also wasn't crying by the end of the day.

Yeah, holidays aren't happy fuzzy memories for some of us.

You've had some good suggestions here already.

cattlekid

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
My other thought is that, depending on your locale, there is usually an alternative culture that doesn't celebrate the holiday that might have restaurants open to treat yourself, even if it's just for take out to go with your book/movie that others have suggested.

123sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
You say you don't have room to entertain but (weather permitting) could you pack a picnic and invite some friends along? Maybe set it around beachcombing, fishing, flying kites, photography, a treasure hunt, sketching, bird watching....

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
Hugs - you got some really good suggestions here. I am not *alone*-alone, as I have alwayhad DS with me, but we usually spend holidays alone ( just the two of us). I n fact, we just held a Passover Seder last night and spent the day at the zoo. Honestly? I like it thjius way and I'll be happy when he finally moves out and I'll be on my own. I know that most people think it's weird and I know that people feel bad for me but I truly enjoy the laid back atmosphere, eating what I want, when I want, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magicdomino

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
Easter has never been a big deal in my family, so it is little more than another day for me.  However, I've been spending Christmas by myself for the last couple of years, and the same tips should apply.

1.  Something special for dinner.  I usually go for some kind of expensive-for-me entree:  prime rib, duck, lamb.  Preparation may be more elaborate than I would bother with as well:  I've made several attempts at Peking duck.  After all, I've got all day to mess with it.

If you don't like to cook, order in from your favorite delivery place.  Going to a restaurant may not be a good idea if you aren't used to going by yourself.  Being surrounded by more-or-less happy families may make you feel lonely.

2.  Line up something interesting to do.  No work allowed.  Double check if museums, parks, etc are open, just in case.  If the weather is going to be good, go outside and admire some flowers.   I'm going to a play on Easter, but that is by accident.  I was looking for a Sunday matinee, and forgot that the 20th was Easter.   :)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
I do spa days- sometimes it helps to cut down on the holiday vibe. I also lay out a schedule for the day so I don't spend it hunched over my laptop- there's walks and workouts and fun meals and facials and reading new books or whatever I want to do, but nothing lasts too long so I don't get bored.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:43 AM »
I've done it, and have generally spend the day doing things I want to do, and don't have time for normally. I haven't gone to my mom's for Thanksgiving for the last few years as its a bit too far, and I prefer to take that time and use it at Christmas.

First year, i literally made my own yummy, fancy dinner (NOT turkey) and hung out in my jammies and watched football all day. Last two I've had a couple friends come over and cooked. Which is nice too.

My first Easter after my folks moved out of state I was off from my second job, and having had worked 7 daysa week for the last 6-7 months, I literlaly did NOTHING. but relax.

I say waht others have said, plan something YOU want to do, whether it be lie on teh couch all day watching movies, reading as book, and if you like to cook, treat yourself to sometthing special. And get a special dessert. Another thing I like to do on New Year's Eve is do appetizers for dinner; with some wine. and chocolate.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
spent the day at the zoo

This sounds heavenly - I always forget how much I enjoy zoos until I take the time to plan an outing to one. :)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »

One thing I've found is that trying to duplicate your usual holiday routine when you're alone can actually make you feel things worse, when the trappings are there, but the people aren't.

You can vary things a bit. Do something self indulgent and enjoyable solo. My version might involve a new book or a binge of a favourite DVD set and a appetizer meal - olives and pickles, salami, pate, good cheese, sushi, veggies and dip, nice bread, a bottle of wine or some good beer, and staying in lounging pyjamas.

gellchom

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 12:30:03 AM »
The quickest, most foolproof cure for loneliness, homesickness, and even boredom I know is the one my very wise mother taught me long ago, and I taught it to my children, too: find someone to help

Sometimes having a fun, self-indulgent day does work, and I'm not saying not to do it.  But in my experience, volunteering or doing something for someone who needs it works 100% of the time. 

And not because it makes you feel noble or something -- I think it's probably effective mostly because it instantly takes my focus off of myself, gets me out of the house, and keeps me busy instead of brooding.  Maybe also because unlike a purely fun plan, there's no risk of my feeling like, "Gosh, I thought this was going to be as fun as [whatever it is I wish I were doing], but somehow it just isn't doing it for me."

Anyway, it really does work for us, so maybe give it a try.  You probably will have time to do something that's a fun treat, too.

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
The only flaw in the "do volunteer work" plan is that places such as soup kitchens can become overwhelmed with volunteers on holidays and either have to create busy work for them or turn them away.