Author Topic: Gluten Free Recipes  (Read 683 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Gluten Free Recipes
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »
My DH is gluten intolerant, and since going GF, has lost weight and feels better.

I need your help. We have brown rice pasta, potatoes, rice and grits instead of bread and regular pasta.

I haven't found a GF muffin recipe that tasted good for more than a few hours. I have found a GF chocolate chip cookie recipe that looks good and I will be trying.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Gluten Free Recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »
I'm not much help--I gave up on baking completely. Any of the gluten-free stuff I've purchased just wasn't good enough to be worth the calories. I've concentrated on how much I enjoy stuff like vegetables, etc.

HOWEVER:

I got a recommendation from someone for this book:

Gluten-Free Baking for the Holidays: 60 Recipes for Traditional Festive Treats
By Jeanne Sauvage

http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Baking-Holidays-Recipes-Traditional-ebook/dp/B009MIM49G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397610586&sr=8-2&keywords=gluten+free+holiday+baking

And for this finely ground rice flour:
Authentic Foods Superfine White Rice Flour  (also avail. in brown rice)

Jeanne Sauvage has a blog as well, http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
Thank you. I recently heard that coconut flour and almond flour make good substitutes for wheat flour. I have always made my husband's birthday cakes and want to make a gluten free cake. My back up plan is a flourless chocolate cake.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »
I've done some gluten free baking.  I found a GF all-purpose flour mix at Bulk Barn.  I use it as a cup for cup replacement for wheat AP flour.  I find it works really well with recipes that have lots of moisture from fruit or vegetables like carrot cake, pumpkin loaf and banana bread.  I find it works well with cookies, too.  But what makes it work is using Xanthan gum.  It's really expensive but you don't use very much - about 1 tsp per cup of flour.  It works as a leavening agent.  When you leave it out, your cookies spread out so flat that you have to cut them in squares with a knife and the chocolate chips stand up like mountains.

(They still tasted good but weren't much to look at.)

I find recipes that use more than one kind of GF flour work better for me than recipes that only call for one kind of flour.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

XRogue

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
I suggest Jules Gluten free flour- http://www.julesglutenfree.com/

Xanthan gum already mixed in. My mother is also celiac and swears by this. Also, beware of rice with gluten added during the enrichment process. Botan Calrose rice does not have gluten, and neither does Uncle Ben's ready rice in the large orange ziploc-looking bag.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:31:32 AM »
Try these energy bars. I played around with the ingredients ( different nuts, more coconut, added chic chips  etc, used regular oil, added more honey). These are a cross between chewy granola bars and cake in terms of texture. They freeze beautifully. Look at the thread I started here- there are other recipes http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=132911.msg3124731#msg3124731

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
Bob's Red Mill has wonderful GF products-I swear by them.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
I am currently using Bob's products. I also found a GF waffle and pancake mix that is wonderful.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
Bob's Red Mill has wonderful GF products-I swear by them.

I really dislike their all-purpose baking mix.

LemonZen

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »
For a special occasion, this cake is really great. It's nice and light.

Hazelnut Torte

Cake:
7 eggs
2/3 cup + 2 tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup ground hazelnuts (I couldn't find them in the store so I bought whole ones, toasted them at 350 in the oven for 10 minutes, and rubbed them in a dishtowel to remove the skins. Then pulsed them in my food processor till fine. It's ok if there are a few small chunks left.)
1/2 cup cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350, and line a 10 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla approx. 10 minutes. (It will take slightly less in a stand mixer. Mixture will triple in size so use a big bowl)
Combine cornstarch and hazelnuts, and fold into the egg mixture by hand. Pour batter into pan and bake for 50 minutes. Cool cake completely, then carefully cut into 3 layers.

Filling:
3 cups whipping cream
4 ounces semi sweet baking chocolate, finely grated
2 tbsp. sugar

Whip cream and sugar together, add in the grated chocolate and mix well. Ice and fill the cake with the whipped cream mixture, and if desired use additional grated chocolate and whole hazelnuts to decorate.

I haven't tried it, but I imagine you could use ground almonds instead if you wanted to.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
I have a stand mixer and a food processor as well as a spice mill, so I think I can grind whole nuts into flour. I am contemplating making a almond and chocolate cake for his birthday, using almond flour and rice flour. I'll try the hazelnut torte as well.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 01:10:58 PM »
Another tip is to try looking for recipes which don't contain flour, rather than adapting flour based recipes. A lot of macaroons are good.

Here are a couple of mine- they are German Christmas biscuits- best kept for a month before eating!

Zimtsterne            Cinnamon Stars

4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
300g ground almonds
1 level teaspoon cinnamon
One finely grated lemon rind
Rum
Icing sugar

Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, then fold in the sugar. Take out ¼ and reserve. Fold the almonds, cinnamon and lemon rind into the egg whites, then knead to incorporate the rest. Dust the board and rolling pin with icing sugar to prevent it from sticking and roll out to about ½cm thick.  Cut out with a small star shaped cutter.

Place on greased baking parchment or a very good non-stick baking tray. Mix a small amount of rum into the egg white mixture and brush thickly over the biscuits.

Bake at 140-160 centigrade for 30-40 minutes.

Store in an airtight tin.

Zitronenhertzen            Lemon Hearts

3 egg yolks
125g caster sugar
1 packet vanilla sugar
Finely grated rind of half a lemon
225g ground almonds (preferably ground with the skins still on)
1 pinch baking powder.

Rum or lemon juice.
Icing sugar
Whole or slivered almonds to decorate

Mix the caster sugar, egg yolks and vanilla sugar until creamy. Knead in the other ingredients. Dust the board and rolling pin with icing sugar to prevent it from sticking and roll out the dough to ½ cm thick and cut out with a heart shaped cutter. Place on greased baking parchment or a good non stick baking tray.

Bake at 180-200 centigrade for 12-15 minutes.

Allow the biscuits to cool slightly. Make a thickish icing with icing sugar and either a little lemon juice or rum. Use this to ice the biscuits whilst they are still warm and place a slice of almond on to decorate. Store in an airtight container.

Teufelskuessen         Devil’s Kisses

250g butter or marg
100g Caster Sugar
!00g grated plain chocolate
60g plain flour
250g potato starch

Cream the butter and sugar together. Knead in to other ingredients and roll out into marble sized balls. Place on greased baking parchment or a good non-stick tray. Allow plenty of space between them.

Bake at 190-200 centigrade for 10-15 minutes.

When cool, remove carefully and store in an airtight tin.

The BBC have a useful section on their website where you can search by a variety of search terms including gluten free http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes#quick-recipe-finder
NE England

luna_elvellon

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
I'm a beginner cook myself, but one of my favorite sources when I'm up for some gluten-free baking is http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/. She has 3 books out by now I believe which have a lot of tips for getting started, mixing flours, and so on, though you can also find plenty of great tips and recipes for free on the blog. I haven't tried her muffins yet, but I've made her yellow cupcakes a few times and they always turned out great, as have any of her other recipes I've tried. :D

Also yep, I second the suggestion to also look out for naturally gluten-free recipes, especially things like flourless recipes or some international foods. (Corn tortillas and Thai rice noodles get a lot of use around here!) Also my mom came up with a cheaty version of banana bread where you basically take a gluten-free yellow cake mix (Red Mill or Betty Crocker are a couple brands I've seen that make it) and add a few bananas. Not quite true to the real thing perhaps, but we both think it still turns out rather nicely.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
Best muffins - King Arthur Flour muffin mix.  I add about twice the usual amount of blueberries.  When they're done & cool, just wrap them up tight ( or put them in an airtight container) and they're good for almost a week.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
We use cornmeal for breading and a lot of corn tortillas. We do love naturally gluten free foods and I am going to make a flourless chocolate cake next weekend as a trial.

Easter's dessert will be a fruit crisp with other things, nuts and GF oats.