Author Topic: The address in your email signature  (Read 3235 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
The address in your email signature
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:39 AM »
I'm kind of annoyed and don't know if I should be.

My work email has my work address in my email signature. I was corresponding with an accountants office regarding my personal taxes; they have my home address on file, and I confirmed it with them at some point during a telephone conversation. This has nothing to do with work, but I did email them from my work email address.

They then said they'd mail my stuff back to me (a thick wad of receipts and tax forms containing personal info) and in their email they said, "We'll send it out today to (my work address which I never told them to use, that they must have just lifted from my email signature)." I emailed back immediately to say, "Can you please send it to my home address instead?" but they apparently didn't see that email until after it had already been mailed out.

I am annoyed because my home address is the one I GAVE them and it's the same as all previous correspondence, and it's what they have in their files. Why suddenly just see an email signature and change things without asking?  It is obviously my work address and the business I was doing with them was for my personal taxes.

I didn't really want it sent there because our office door is locked most of the time, and I know this package won't fit through the mail slot. I am worried that the postman might leave it sitting in the hallway - it's a building with other offices and all kinds of people coming and going. Or, it might necessitate a trip to the post office to pick it up.

Is it a faux pas on their part to just take an email signature address and mail something there, instead of to the address you told them earlier was your mailing address?

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: The address in your email signature
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:28:38 AM »
Is it a faux pas on their part to just take an email signature address and mail something there, instead of to the address you told them earlier was your mailing address?

It's unprofessional.  And it would have taken extra work to do it that way.  I would bring it up with them.  They shouldn't be sending out your personal information to any address other than your official permanent address that is on file for everything they are handling.

Margo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:47:27 AM »
I agree. It is unprofessional. they should not have changed the correspondence address without asking you. I would definitely speak to them about it

(I have the opposite issue. I recently moved house. I wrote to my accountants telling the m,the new address, the date it is valid from, and specifically asking that they use that address. Yesterday i gor a letter from them (which includes potentially sensitive information) which has been forwarded from my old address. The letter is dated 10 days *after* the change of address and 2 weeks after I worte to them. Fortunately I have arranged with Royal Mail to forward my post, so the only result of them sending it to the wrong address is that I got it 2 days later than I would otherwise have done, but I'm still not best pleased about it!)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:05:40 AM »
 No they probably shouldn't have done that, especially without asking you - but, in their defense, some of the email programs in use today do that almost automatically and since you were corresponding to them from *that* email, they may have 'collected' that one and used it. IOW - it's possible that it was done automatically, not that they consciously went and lifted that home email.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:46 AM »
I don't see how it could be automatic. We're talking about a physical address here for mailing. Not emailing a bunch of forms. Just to clarify. Someone must have read my email sig and copied it down. It never occurred to me they'd send my papers back to an address other than the one they had on file.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:35 AM »
I don't see how it could be automatic. We're talking about a physical address here for mailing. Not emailing a bunch of forms. Just to clarify. Someone must have read my email sig and copied it down. It never occurred to me they'd send my papers back to an address other than the one they had on file.
oh sorry - i thought you meant that they emailed papers to you. (duh! so used to everything being done electronically).

then, no - they were absolutely wrong. they shouldn't have used that mailing address but rather used whatever they had on file (or contacted you to verify).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »
I'm a CPA and worked primarily in taxes for many years.  My policy was to send personal information ONLY to the address on the tax return unless the client specifically (and in writing) requested it be sent elsewhere.  I was afraid of tax returns being misdirected since there is all of the information that someone would need to steal an identity in one nice, neat package.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »

If it was a personal correspondence why did you leave your work email signature and address on it?
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »

If it was a personal correspondence why did you leave your work email signature and address on it?

Probably because she doesn't even think about it anymore and didn't think to delete it.

GreenBird

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
They should have doublechecked with you since the address in your email isn't the same as the one they have on file, but I actually don't think it was such an unreasonable mistake to make.  Or at least not an entirely unpredictable mistake.  I know the address is in your signature so you don't really think about it being there anymore.  But from their perspective, the address they used was listed in the most recent correspondence they had from you.  It doesn't seem like a giant leap for someone to think that's the address they should use. 

For the future, I guess the lesson is to make sure you remove any work-related information when you're using your work email for personal stuff.  Or to set up a separate email address for personal correspondence to eliminate the confusion. 

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
It arrived today directly into my hands, so it's all good. I can be such a worry wart about stuff like this. Especially since I see Canada Post doing things like leaving packages on doorsteps.

I will definitely be more careful from now on to delete the email signature when I don't want it there. I use my work email for all kinds of correspondence (and it IS my email account, not some company's). I assumed it would be clear to them that these were personal taxes with a personal home address on file, and it never occurred to me that they'd read my email sig and use that instead of the address I gave them.  From now on I will try to be more clear, but you've all pretty much answered my question about whether or not it's appropriate to do that.

miranova

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »
I'm having a big problem with this with my bank.  They keep sending personal and sensitive financial information to one of my rental homes.  They have that address because they financed that rental property.  They have ALWAYS known it was a rental property, that we don't live there and never have.  They just keep mixing the addresses up and I'm pretty fed up.  My renter just handed me my debit card...good thing she is trustworthy. 

I don't understand why this is so complicated.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
I'm having a big problem with this with my bank.  They keep sending personal and sensitive financial information to one of my rental homes.  They have that address because they financed that rental property.  They have ALWAYS known it was a rental property, that we don't live there and never have.  They just keep mixing the addresses up and I'm pretty fed up.  My renter just handed me my debit card...good thing she is trustworthy. 

Frustrating. I think different departments of the same companies don't always get the memo. I changed my address with my bank, but some of my mail from them still went to the old address, and some went to the new address. I got fed up and called some central number and told them I wanted ALL my mail from ALL departments sent to the new address. It solved the problem, but you'd think they'd have some central system where changes of address go.

And when I moved away, then returned to this city, I moved in temporarily with my mother. So for my doctor's office, I gave them the home phone number for my mother's address. I quickly learned that was a mistake, as my mother is incapable of simply taking messages and passing them on without involving herself ("Oh, she can't have made that appointment. Raintree is doing X tomorrow.") Or they'd leave messages on the home answering machine telling me to come in for my test results, and my mother would ask me, worriedly, what tests were being done. So I updated my phone number with the doctor's office to my cell phone number. They still called the home phone number. I told them to remove that number; I wanted to be called on my cell. That didn't work; they simply put a notation that I had a second phone number (my cell) and continued to call my mother's number. Then, I moved out of my mother's home completely, and did not get a land line. Next time I went in, I was asked, "Is your number still (mother's number)?" I said no, that is my mother's number. MY number was (my cell number)." "Oh, we already have that down as your secondary number. So you want us to call your cell first?" It really took about three or four tries to get them to understand that (mother's number) wasn't my number. It was not my number, so please eliminate it. I wanted it removed from their system. I wanted them to forget they'd ever had that number, period. How hard is that to understand?

veronaz

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:20 PM »
Yes, the mistake is theirs, BUT

I emailed back immediately to say, "Can you please send it to my home address instead?" but they apparently didn't see that email until after it had already been mailed out.

I would have called and spoken to someone personally to make sure they understood.

daen

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:19:01 PM »

I sympathize.

We were out-of-country for a year, but we had made arrangements that our mail would be collected from our home address and given to the agent handling our business affairs while we were gone. No change of address was necessary.

We informed the bank that we would be out-of-country because we added a POA on our accounts and were expecting some foreign transactions. We told them that our address Would Not Be Changing. The Customer Service Rep asked for our interim address "in case we need to contact you."  I shrugged, gave her the address, and stressed again that our mailing address would remain the same.

Yup. We got six months of statements mailed to us at the foreign address, in spite of emails (growing more and more stiff and to the point with each email) every time we got something from them. It finally took us calling our bank and talking to one of the more senior staff members before they finally started using the correct address again.