Author Topic: Favorite WW recipes?  (Read 756 times)

TriCrazy73

Favorite WW recipes?
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
I just started Weight Watchers....and I don't want to rely on frozen meals, etc.  Does anyone have any favorite recipes (casserole, chicken, beef..etc.) that would work for me as well as my family?  I'd like to stick to the 10 points and under range, if possible.  If not, maybe up to 15 points would be okay.  Thanks!

MummySweet

Re: Favorite WW recipes?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »
My family likes the Tuna Patties from the WW "Simply the Best" Cookbook

Ingredients:
Two 6 oz. cans water packed tuna, drained and flaked
3 Egg Whites
3 Tablespoon seasoned dry bread crumbs
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons minced parsley
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1) In a medium bowl, combine tuna, egg whites, bread crumbs, scallions, parsley and pepper.  Shape mixture into four equal patties.
2) Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, heat.  Add patties and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.

Points per serving (1 pattie): 3

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
Good luck! It might help if you tell us what your family favorites are - you might be able to continue using the same recipes or tweak them a bit. Since AFAIK the WW points are based on low fat/high protein/high fiber, you can achieve that by using leaner cuts of meat/chicken, and adding more veg, and baking I/o frying for example.  I don't follow WW but I do use the recipe builder on MFP to help me with calorie count.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

daen

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
I have no tried and true recipes to offer, but I do have a bit of advice.  Check your local library to see if they have any WW cookbooks. A cookbook would have bunch of recipes in one place, in an easy-to-browse format.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:27:45 AM »
I used to make burritos, but I can't remember how many points they were after all this time unfortunately.

I used low cal tortillas which had a ow point value (expensive, but worth it), fat-free refried beans, and ground turkey cooked with cumin, chili powder, and garlic.  Add some hot sauce and I was good to go.   

TriCrazy73

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I did a little poking around online last night and found a few yummy sounding recipes.  We generally eat fairly healthy, but I do want to try some new things.  I sure hope this works for me!

cross_patch

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 12:11:02 AM »
I don't follow ww, but I noticed the skinnytaste website has the points in there, and the recipes are awesome!

miranova

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »
My favorite source for low calorie recipes is www.skinnytaste.com.  She posts all the calorie info and even WW points for each recipe.  Everything I've tried has been delicious!

sweetonsno

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 04:38:24 AM »
My mom really liked WW. My favorite WW food was the vegetable soup. I used to make a huge pot. On the old system, it could be made with no points, but I usually used a bit of oil for cooking the veggies. (A tablespoon of oil probably made three quarts of soup.)

Basically:
Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pot. Medium heat is probably good.
Add your firmer and more flavorful veggies (carrots, celery, onion, leek, shallot, etc.). Stir until they start to get soft, but don't let them brown. If you like mushrooms and have some fresh on hand, add them about halfway through cooking time. Add veggie stock and a large can of tomatoes (if you have them), and then some boiling water. You want to make sure that everything is covered. Let it come to a boil, then turn the heat down. Simmer about fifteen minutes. Add softer veggies, like cabbage and zucchini. Continue simmering about five minutes. Add any veggies that are pre-cooked (including canned and frozen) and any very soft greens (like spinach) and simmer until heated through. You may need to add more liquid. Season with fresh herbs (copious amounts of thyme is good) and pepper. You can get away with using less salt if you add a spoonful or two of red wine or balsamic vinegar.

You can have as much of this as you want, for the most part. If you want to add some substance (and points), add cubed potato in the first group veggies and/or kidney or white beans with the canned stuff.