Author Topic: Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38, Update #63  (Read 10970 times)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Re: Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »
Why couldn't the neighbour just park in a visitor's spot? As long as he has a space, does it really matter which one it is?

This is where I park my pod.  If I were the owner of the spot and saw someone parked in my space and there were multiple visitors spaces RIGHT THERE, I would park in one and seriously not give it another thought!  If the same car was parked in my space more than once, I could see leaving a note and/or telling management.  Parking behind the car when that's actually more difficult than parking in a visitor's space is nothing but retaliatory rudeness.  It may make neighbor feel better, but it accomplishes absolutely nothing and is completely unnecessary.   If there were no visitors spots open, my answer would be completely different, but I just don't understand the personality of someone that would rather spend their time and energy dealing with someone knocking on their door asking to please let them out than just parking 5 feet away and going to bed.

I agree with this post, and especially the bolded. The neighbour had several options here. He chose the most confrontational and dangerous one.

Neighbor guy was also incredibly rude.  It's been emphasized many times here on eHell that you don't get to take your anger and frustration out on someone like this.  Even if it was the 15th time this has happened this winter, OP's guests haven't been the cause of it the last 14 times.  Going overboard like this on the 15th person isn't going to do anything to deter the last 14 people who've done it!

Excellent point. If it was the same person repeatedly taking the neighbour's spot, I could see how his anger and reaction might be justified. But this was the first time that the OP's friend had parked in that spot!

GratefulMaria

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
For some reason I personally prefer towing to a more direct interaction, and that's if I were on either side of the situation.  It feels more businesslike.

That becomes an expensive proposition. 

I had to go help my neighbor retrieve her towed car and it cost her nearly $200.

More expensive, definitely.  It also seems less emotionally intense.  There's a third party taking the direct action; maybe that's what makes the difference to me.

Not saying one is more right or wrong than another, just explaining my comfort relative to the options.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
For some reason I personally prefer towing to a more direct interaction, and that's if I were on either side of the situation.  It feels more businesslike.

That becomes an expensive proposition. 

I had to go help my neighbor retrieve her towed car and it cost her nearly $200. 

Well that's what happens when you park in places you aren't supposed to.  The onus is on the driver, not on the person who owns the spot.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »
Last weekend the condo board installed signs on the visitor parking spots. Tenant spots are still marked on the curb, but visitor spots are now clearly marked. We were also sent a notice reminding us that for parking disputes we are supposed to go to the superintendent and let him deal with it instead of trying to deal with it ourselves.

Specky

Re: Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38, Update #63
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2014, 08:04:53 PM »
Great update!

JustCallMePat

Re: Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38, Update #63
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2014, 08:43:40 PM »
Thanks from me also for the update. I was curious how it worked out.  How does one reach the superintendent and is he available 24/7 to address disputes?