Author Topic: What are the best sides for fried chicken?  (Read 1685 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: What are the best sides for fried chicken?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
Mashed potatoes, corn, biscuits, and some kind of vegetable to offset all the starch.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Lynnv

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »
My first choice with fried chicken is either potato salad or coleslaw (or both) and biscuits.  I am not opposed in any way to what others have mentioned but I grew up with potato salad and coleslaw, so those are my 'go to' choices.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Betelnut

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 01:44:53 PM »
Mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, all the way.  Oh, and corn bread.

If you MUST have a vegetable (LOL), fried green tomatoes but that's not really a vegetable!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Bobbie

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »
I make chicken katsu (boneless chicken in flour, egg, panko) and we have rice  ;).  For southern fried chicken mashed taters with poultry gravy and sometimes I make corn casserole.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »
I usually try to go for a lighter side like cole slaw or some sort of garden salad.

Truth be told, I really love the standard mashed potatoes, gravy, biscuits, corn on the cob for the whole southern dining experience. ;D . . . oh, and don't forget the peach cobbler for dessert!

POD.

I also like potato salad with it.

Ginger G

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
I'm Southern and make fried chicken every three months or so.  I usually make the typical side dishes including potato salad, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, french fries, biscuits, mac & cheese (not all at the same time though!).  I'm making fried chicken this Sunday for a delayed Father's Day dinner because my dad loves my chicken.  I'm going to have mac & cheese, cucumber salad, and yeast rolls with honey butter followed by a lemon chess pie for dessert.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
Mashed potatoes with gravy, buttermilk biscuits, peas, a green salad and some kind of fruit dessert- either shortcake in summer or pie/cobbler with vanilla ice cream in winter.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

magicdomino

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
Mashed potatoes with gravy, cole slaw or green beans (cooked until soft with bacon or fatback), buttermilk biscuits. 

Dang it, people, you're making me hungry!   ;)

metallicafan

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Darn, I really really want Popeye's Chicken now  ;D

KimberlyM

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »
Mashed potatoes, gravy and corn.(I prefer the 3 mixed together!) 

I haven't made fried chicken in years...now I really want some.  And chicken fried steak.  Used to make both at least once a week, but we're getting older...can't eat like that anymore!

Specky

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
Mashed potatoes with gravy, corn on the cob, and sweet potato biscuits with real butter.   Either banana pudding or apple pie for dessert.  (and an insulin drip)

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
DH would say mashed potatoes & gravy.  Also biscuits with butter & honey.

I also like coleslaw and/or potato salad, baked beans, mac & cheez, corn or succotash (corn & lima beans).

If it's a picnic don't forget a big pitcher of lemonade - it's acid-y and will help with all the rich mayonnaise-y things.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »
Is this a sit down dinner or an outdoor picnic?  Also, how true to tradition do you want to be?

I'm asking because many of the traditional sides are heavy (or carb-centric).  I like my fried chicken with lighter fair.

I make cole slaw from the shredded bag of cabbage and carrots with apple cider vinegrette, sliced tomatoes with salt, and potato chips.  For a sitdown inside meal, I'd probably add in corn on the cob.
Formerly Mrs.Bart