Author Topic: DH as chauffeur?  (Read 9024 times)

AnnaJ

Re: DH as chauffeur?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
And I would never invite an elderly relative and not provide transportation. It would be just my luck she'd have a fatal accident on the way and I'd have to live with the guilt the rest of my life c :-[

I feel like this is enfeebling the elderly. ANYONE of any age can get into a car accident. ANYONE can be a bad driver, at any age. Yes, the elderly might be more likely to lose the ability to drive after a certain age. But that doesn't mean they are de facto entitled to customized transportation options (beyond recommendations for a cab company, or suggestions of who to carpool with) to any event they're invited to, especially if they are as unpleasant to deal with as the OP's GMIL (rudeness knows no age bounds either!).

I don't see it as enfeebling - bluntly, 90+ year olds should not be driving.  I completely understand why they do, I've lived in towns with little or no public transportation where the only options non-drivers had were taxis or relatives/friends, but there is no way even the healthiest 95 year old has the reflexes to drive safely.

I would never invite someone that age - or someone with some of the other issues posters have mentioned - without checking to see if they had transportation, and be willing to provide it if they did not.  If If wasn't willing to do so, it would mean that their presence wasn't important to me, and I wouldn't invite them.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: DH as chauffeur?
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »

If I were inviting a relative who couldn't drive over for dinner, I'd package in transportation with the invitation, and plan it so that I could pick them up and prepare the meal.

But if I'm hosting a larger event - like a Baptism reception, or Thanksgiving dinner - I'll invite them, but I won't be able to do my hosting duties and pick them up, so they'd need to get a ride with one of the other guests. Larger events tend to require a lot more prep work, plus the need to be there to host the other guests.