Author Topic: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - small update page #6 and #7 and #9  (Read 32463 times)

lkdrymom

Re: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - small update page #6 and #7
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
MOB is supposed to look after her mother during the wedding day? I haven't attended a wedding in a while, but MOB is usually pretty busy as co-host.

This means the secondary person scheduled to look after MIL will really be the primary!

Best of Luck!

That was my first  :o reaction. You've been had, POF. There are 2 people who should be stepping up to the plate instead of you - DH and Sally. So far, DH has effectively dumped her on you because he's going to the top of the mountain, leaving her with you. And by getting 2 rooms, you've left a way for Sally to dump her on you so that she stays in the 2nd room and you get the teens in yours (I'd cancel that second room right now.) And there's no way in e-Hell that Sally is going to be looking after her at all. No one even in normal situations would anyone expect the MOB to do something like this.

Unfortunately, it looks like the update to this one after the wedding (which we fully expect you to provide  >:D ) doesn't look like it's going to be good. My betting money is on Sally calling you up and claiming some last minute crisis for the other sibling so that you have to drive her up as well.

I totally agree. MIL will be in your hotel room. Cancel that second room now!!! I understand you don't mind watching her for a bit, but really your DH needs to step up and take over for you if Sally bails. He is making his problem yours.

Quiltin Nana

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
MOB is supposed to look after her mother during the wedding day? I haven't attended a wedding in a while, but MOB is usually pretty busy as co-host.

This means the secondary person scheduled to look after MIL will really be the primary!

Best of Luck!

That was my first  :o reaction. You've been had, POF. There are 2 people who should be stepping up to the plate instead of you - DH and Sally. So far, DH has effectively dumped her on you because he's going to the top of the mountain, leaving her with you. And by getting 2 rooms, you've left a way for Sally to dump her on you so that she stays in the 2nd room and you get the teens in yours (I'd cancel that second room right now.) And there's no way in e-Hell that Sally is going to be looking after her at all. No one even in normal situations would anyone expect the MOB to do something like this.

Unfortunately, it looks like the update to this one after the wedding (which we fully expect you to provide  >:D ) doesn't look like it's going to be good. My betting money is on Sally calling you up and claiming some last minute crisis for the other sibling so that you have to drive her up as well.

I totally agree. MIL will be in your hotel room. Cancel that second room now!!! I understand you don't mind watching her for a bit, but really your DH needs to step up and take over for you if Sally bails. He is making his problem yours.

I thought that Sally was the Mother of the Groom, not the bride. 

POF

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »

Best of Luck!

I think I am OK.  Another sibling is supposedly bringing her up to venue.  Sally has a 2 room suite at hotel and MIL will be there.  During the ceremony - there are several people who can't manage the tram.  We will probably just hang at the hotel or do something easy. 

I have no problem being in charge of her at the reception. I am sure we will be at a family table and my 2 teenage sons adore her - she is under 5 feet tall and they are huge.

She can walk around with a cane/ walker and feed herself.  If it is a buffet - one of us will need to handle her plate.  She can manage restroom on her own - but usually someone walks with her.

There will be lots of family to entertain her there.  If she wants to leave early - Sally will have to deal with it.  Next AM, we pick her up at 11:00 and drive her back with us.

My biggest concern was the hotel room and getting her around places.  Now she can stay at the hotel where the reception is - so once we get her there she is pretty good.

Of course - I'll get roped into something - but DH and I have had a few stern talks about he needs to be dancing attendance on her.  Problem is she likes me ....

Of course Sally will pull something - I'd be disappointed in some way if she didn't ! 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
I completely recommend that you pull a fast one of your own before Sally has the last laugh once again.  I have a bad vibe about this.

POF

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »
I completely recommend that you pull a fast one of your own before Sally has the last laugh once again.  I have a bad vibe about this.

Well - I think what will happen is that

a) I'll get a ton of grief about not wanting to ride the aeril tram to the top of the mountain. If that stuff starts - then I will just bypass the wedding.

b) Sally's daughter Betty will try to coerce me to help with her badly behaved kids. No thanks - not doing that - not negotiable. they have tried this with me at the Lakehouse and I have ended it very quickly.  I'd rather have MIL any day of the week.

c) There will be some complicated thing about the timing of bringing MIL home - but by 11:00 the next day - she will be glad to head out as will I.

d) If stuff starts to look to complicated - I will drive myself and the boys and DH can take his mother.  That way I have transportation and can leave when I need to.

e) MIL will be a pill and complain -  I will disappear :)

I am thinking out my escape hatches ...... 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
I'm on the wagon going the "this is going to turn on you, somehow", however, I'm sending you a large supply of eHell Spine Polish and hoping for the best for you.

wyliefool

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
Maybe I'm an old fogey but what kind of maniac invites the whole family to a mountaintop wedding that involves a chairlift and a hike?!?!? That's precisely the sort of situaiton that receptions-after-the-fact were invented for!!

I don't have vertigo issues when it comes to enclosed trams on mountains, and i like hiking, but I'd be laughing at the notion of attending. Bahahahaaaa, I'll see you at the reception. Have fun!

(Sorry for my grammar; I just got back from Italy and am hugely jetlagged. And living off a 20-oz coffee buzz.)

POF

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
Maybe I'm an old fogey but what kind of maniac invites the whole family to a mountaintop wedding that involves a chairlift and a hike?!?!? That's precisely the sort of situaiton that receptions-after-the-fact were invented for!!

I don't have vertigo issues when it comes to enclosed trams on mountains, and i like hiking, but I'd be laughing at the notion of attending. Bahahahaaaa, I'll see you at the reception. Have fun!

(Sorry for my grammar; I just got back from Italy and am hugely jetlagged. And living off a 20-oz coffee buzz.)

Seriously - although to be fair - I think it is a bit of a walk down a path as opposed to a hike. DH is hoping this means casual clothes for the wedding.  I doubt it. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
It rather sounds like this couple is trying to make it as difficult and hazardous as possible for guests to actually be able to ... you know ... witness the actual wedding!!   :o

"Sure!  Dress up in your nicest clothes and wear high heels, then board a tram and take a little hike.  Then you get to watch us get married.  It'll be worth it, we promise!"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:46:37 PM by gramma dishes »

Amara

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »
I keep trying to picture how a full bridal gown and veil along with the flowers and everything else will not get dirty, torn, etc.  8)

lmyrs

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
Just because it's on a mountain doesn't mean it's a "hike". I think that some of the posters here are getting unfairly hung up on that. The OP, herself, said it's a walk down a path. That's hardly a "hike". It's no different than if someone got married on a beach or at a picnic shelter in a park. There's a tonne of venues that you're not driving right up to the ceremony and parking. If the OP can't handle the train, that's fine and completely understandable But it's hardly unreasonable of the couple. I'm picturing something like a restaurant/location at a ski resort, even in the summer where one would take a gondola. That's not every person's cup of tea but it's hardly rude. And, I doubt it's any more difficult to keep anyone or anything clean than it is when you get outdoor photos done.

bloo

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
It rather sounds like this couple is trying to make it as difficult and hazardous as possible for guests to actually be able to ... you know ... witness the actual wedding!!   :o

"Sure!  Dress up in your nicest clothes and wear high heels, then board a tram and take a little hike.  Then you get to watch us get married.  It'll be worth it, we promise!"

"...oh and don't forget that after the rehearsal dinner there will be a quick tutorial on BASE jumping for the directly-after-ceremony activity. Here are your parachutes!"

POF

« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2014, 06:02:20 PM »
Just because it's on a mountain doesn't mean it's a "hike". I think that some of the posters here are getting unfairly hung up on that. The OP, herself, said it's a walk down a path. That's hardly a "hike". It's no different than if someone got married on a beach or at a picnic shelter in a park. There's a tonne of venues that you're not driving right up to the ceremony and parking. If the OP can't handle the train, that's fine and completely understandable But it's hardly unreasonable of the couple. I'm picturing something like a restaurant/location at a ski resort, even in the summer where one would take a gondola. That's not every person's cup of tea but it's hardly rude. And, I doubt it's any more difficult to keep anyone or anything clean than it is when you get outdoor photos done.

I am pretty sure that's it.  I have anxiety issues with heights and enclosed spaces. I tend to get motion sickness.  This is NOT a match for me ! I think most people are OK with it though.  Yeah - I think its a easy walk - except if you are elderly and need a walker.

wyliefool

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »

I am pretty sure that's it.  I have anxiety issues with heights and enclosed spaces. I tend to get motion sickness.  This is NOT a match for me ! I think most people are OK with it though.  Yeah - I think its a easy walk - except if you are elderly and need a walker.

Hike, path, whatever, it doesn't sound like the sort of event one expects one's elderly relatives to attend. That is, if one is reasonable.

Heck, we took my MIL to Utah a few years ago. She was early 80s and able to walk w/ a cane but not over rough ground or long distances. We pushed her transport chair up some (well-kept, flattish) trails because we were into having a fun vacation. The hill at the end of the riverside walk at Zion was a bit much but it was short. If we were expected to do this in good clothes and attend a wedding at the end of any of these walks we all would have laughed and said 'see you at the bar later'. Or, maybe we would have gone ourselves and left her behind. She certainly wouldn't have gone.

OT: The Featherlight brand of transport chair is awesome. It's been over the aforementioned trails, beaches in the Carolinas, and cobbled streets in London and Italy. Starting to squeak a little but in fine shape still. Alas, she's now getting too frail for these trips. I think this last one was the last one.  :'(

lmyrs

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:59 PM »
We clearly have a very different idea of where this wedding is actually happening. I'm picturing something like this:

http://kickinghorseresort.com/summer-main/the-resort/groups-and-wedding-information/weddings/
http://kickinghorseresort.com/winter-main/the-resort/groups-and-wedding-information/weddings/wedding-venues/

I've never been to a wedding at this venue, but I have been skiing at it. The gondola goes to the top of the mountain and then you have to walk about 100 feet to get to the restaurant. Having been here, myself, in the past, I can guarantee that it is much more accessible than the small town church that my sisters got married at. It's also more accessible than many weddings in busy downtown cores with limited parking. My grandmother/grandfathers would have had a much easier time getting to this mountaintop than to either of those other places. (Assuming the mountaintop wasn't a plane ride away which this particular one is.) Heck, my cousin's wedding, which was at her in-laws farmyard required walking about 200 feet from where we parked to where the ceremony was across grass. And, most people's yards are less well groomed than a path to a major tourist venue.

Is the venue above suitable for the OP? No. Because she is terrified of heights and can't get on the gondola. It has nothing to do with it being inaccessible to the mobility impaired. Sure, if the wedding in question is happening at a location that is genuinely difficult to get to for people in wheelchairs, then they shouldn't expect the mobility impaired to attend their wedding. But there is less than zero indication of that from the OP and I find this constant picking at the couple for their choice of venue to be rather unpleasant and rude of it's own accord. We're assigning some pretty mean traits to this couple and then blowing them all up when we talk about "hikes" and "base jumping" when really, the main concern here seems to be the gondola/train. Not the "hike".

I just cannot buy in to this idea