Author Topic: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - wedding update #12  (Read 41174 times)

POF

Re: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - small update page #6 and #7
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
We clearly have a very different idea of where this wedding is actually happening. I'm picturing something like this:

http://kickinghorseresort.com/summer-main/the-resort/groups-and-wedding-information/weddings/
http://kickinghorseresort.com/winter-main/the-resort/groups-and-wedding-information/weddings/wedding-venues/

I've never been to a wedding at this venue, but I have been skiing at it. The gondola goes to the top of the mountain and then you have to walk about 100 feet to get to the restaurant. Having been here, myself, in the past, I can guarantee that it is much more accessible than the small town church that my sisters got married at. It's also more accessible than many weddings in busy downtown cores with limited parking. My grandmother/grandfathers would have had a much easier time getting to this mountaintop than to either of those other places. (Assuming the mountaintop wasn't a plane ride away which this particular one is.) Heck, my cousin's wedding, which was at her in-laws farmyard required walking about 200 feet from where we parked to where the ceremony was across grass. And, most people's yards are less well groomed than a path to a major tourist venue.

Is the venue above suitable for the OP? No. Because she is terrified of heights and can't get on the gondola. It has nothing to do with it being inaccessible to the mobility impaired. Sure, if the wedding in question is happening at a location that is genuinely difficult to get to for people in wheelchairs, then they shouldn't expect the mobility impaired to attend their wedding. But there is less than zero indication of that from the OP and I find this constant picking at the couple for their choice of venue to be rather unpleasant and rude of it's own accord. We're assigning some pretty mean traits to this couple and then blowing them all up when we talk about "hikes" and "base jumping" when really, the main concern here seems to be the gondola/train. Not the "hike".

I just cannot buy in to this idea

I agree - they are acutally a pretty nice couple. 

AngelicGamer

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I think the OP said that they're getting up to the site by chair lift, not gondola.  I have no fear of heights and even I'm a bit leery of getting on a chair lift because I don't ski / snowboard.  I'd be fine if it was a nice enclosed gondola where you look at the pretty scenery where you go up.  My impression of chair lifts is that you wait for the chair to come and pick you up to carry you up the mountain.  Which... no.  :)  I'd be afraid I'd fall off.

However, the rest of your post about making the couple into villains?  I completely agree with you that it's not cool, lmyrs.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

bloo

« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
We're assigning some pretty mean traits to this couple and then blowing them all up when we talk about "hikes" and "base jumping" when really, the main concern here seems to be the gondola/train. Not the "hike".

Yikes. I was just kidding about the BASE jumping.

LadyL

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »
I think the OP said that they're getting up to the site by chair lift, not gondola.  I have no fear of heights and even I'm a bit leery of getting on a chair lift because I don't ski / snowboard.  I'd be fine if it was a nice enclosed gondola where you look at the pretty scenery where you go up.  My impression of chair lifts is that you wait for the chair to come and pick you up to carry you up the mountain.  Which... no.  :)  I'd be afraid I'd fall off.

However, the rest of your post about making the couple into villains?  I completely agree with you that it's not cool, lmyrs.

She referred to it as an airial tram. Typically those are enclosed and the ride is very smooth. I'm picturing something like the tram in Palm Springs, CA which is definitely as accessible as any sort of public building, but does involve views of heights:
http://www.pstramway.com/

tinkytinky

« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »
We're assigning some pretty mean traits to this couple and then blowing them all up when we talk about "hikes" and "base jumping" when really, the main concern here seems to be the gondola/train. Not the "hike".

Yikes. I was just kidding about the BASE jumping.

Now all I can picture is the  bride and groom on a cliff and when they are announced as husband and wife - they kiss and - and proceed to jump off the cliff in their special-made tux and gown - and they look like  flying squirrels.......(I don't know why....I am not picturing parachutes or hang gliders).

sorry....off topic......back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

AngelicGamer

« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »

She referred to it as an airial tram. Typically those are enclosed and the ride is very smooth. I'm picturing something like the tram in Palm Springs, CA which is definitely as accessible as any sort of public building, but does involve views of heights:
http://www.pstramway.com/

Ah, thank you, LadyL!  Perhaps I got a crossed wire with a different poster than the OP or something.  I'd love to go on the tram - it looks amazing.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
It all depends on the people involved. We have family members who can't go on trams like that, or fly in an airplane due to fear of heights.

carol1412

« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Even a 100ft walk can be tiring if it's at a higher elevation than you're used to. Especially if you're out of shape or - you know - 90 years old. ;)

POF

« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
Some new information :

a) We booked lodging - it was around $200 for the night.  Check in time is actually after the start of the ceremony and the checkout is pretty early the next AM ( 10:30 )

b) It isn't a tram, it's actual ski lift chairs.  Apparently they will come to a complete stop ( unlike in ski season ).  Nope - not for me - how would I do that in dress ?  What if my shoes fell - oh wait a minute - its high in the air and my are dangling... nope nope nope. 

c) MIL is very ambivalent about going. DH is going to talk to her and Sally  closer to the date. MIL will not be able to see the ceremony, I bet she will spend 2 hours at the reception.  I want DH to tell me - who will be going back to the room with MIL when she wants to leave.  Because if it is either of us, I am not going.  I can't see the point in driving 3 to 31/2 hours, paying several hundred dollars for the room and missing the ceremony and most of the reception.

I also want to know what is the expected dress, are people really riding a lift in suits and dresses ?  How long is it going to take to ferry people up and down the mountain ?

I am really going to suggest that MIL not attend, she will miss the vows, whe will hate the reception  (cause she doesn't like loud parties ) and she will wnat us to leave at the crack of dawn on Sunday to bring her home.

Oh well - I looked at the registry and it was actual very reasonable.  I like them - I do - but this whole adventure is not well thought out.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
I'd love to know who thought up this idea involving ski lift chairs.  I can't see that being a good combination with people dressing for a wedding.  A wedding and reception should not be an endurance test.

If I were you, I'd decline this altogether.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I'd wear nice walking shorts and a nice blouse, with my hiking shoes, for the the ceremony and then put on my finery for the reception.  But then, I don't have a problem with ski lifts, since I ski all winter.

And that doesn't solve the MIL problem about wanting to go back to the m/hotel early.  I wouldn't want to cut my evening short, either.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
She wants people to take ski lift chairs to her wedding site?  :o Truly bizarre.

But yes, this does put an entirely different spin on MIL going. I really can't see the point of putting an elderly, frail person through a long trip when she cannot actually see the ceremony.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mime

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
When a ski lift is involved, I'd assume casual attire is expected. Riding a ski lift in something like a pencil skirt and pair of pumps sounds ridiculously inconvenient. The seat on the lift may not even be kind to fancy fabrics. I'd probably wear a tea-length casual dress or maxi skirt with strappy shoes that don't slide on or off.

Oh, and an aside comment related to this...
Oh well - I looked at the registry and it was actual very reasonable.  I like them - I do - but this whole adventure is not well thought out.
It is definitely possible that the B&G understood that their choices would create limits on who could and would attend, and were prepared to accept that. They could be equally surprised that MIL is being dragged along to the celebration. It sounds likely that Sally is the one insisting people push themselves beyond their comfort zone (or ability) to be there.

knitwicca

« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
Some new information :

a) We booked lodging - it was around $200 for the night.  Check in time is actually after the start of the ceremony and the checkout is pretty early the next AM ( 10:30 )

b) It isn't a tram, it's actual ski lift chairs.  Apparently they will come to a complete stop ( unlike in ski season ).  Nope - not for me - how would I do that in dress ?  What if my shoes fell - oh wait a minute - its high in the air and my are dangling... nope nope nope. 

c) MIL is very ambivalent about going. DH is going to talk to her and Sally  closer to the date. MIL will not be able to see the ceremony, I bet she will spend 2 hours at the reception.  I want DH to tell me - who will be going back to the room with MIL when she wants to leave.  Because if it is either of us, I am not going.  I can't see the point in driving 3 to 31/2 hours, paying several hundred dollars for the room and missing the ceremony and most of the reception.

I also want to know what is the expected dress, are people really riding a lift in suits and dresses ?  How long is it going to take to ferry people up and down the mountain ?

I am really going to suggest that MIL not attend, she will miss the vows, whe will hate the reception  (cause she doesn't like loud parties ) and she will wnat us to leave at the crack of dawn on Sunday to bring her home.

If you decide to go...can you do a late check-in? Tell the hotel staff that you are attending a wedding and will arrive later. Often you can request a later check-out as well.
The ski-lift does not sound as if it is a possibility for you at all. Maybe you could go to the hotel, check in, relax for a bit then join the reception? Or is it also up the mountain?

As for the entire MIL issue, the OPs are right.  From your description, MIL would not enjoy herself.   It would be incredibly stressful for her, for you, for anyone helping with her care.

I believe someone above had suggested Skype for MIL to watch the ceremony.  Less stress and cost all the way around.

Luci

• Super Hero!
As for what to wear, I would wear new comfortable slacks that look kind of dressy, a comfortable but not too casual blouse, as in no T shirt or polo shirt - crepe button down? - and new black shoes that look like the shoe part of boots (SAS is my favorite brand) with black socks. Really! I could handle the ski lift, but wouldn't put my life or dignity in danger even if the darn thing stops. It's still clumsy

At best for the reception, dressier shoes (flats) and knee highs and at best a flowier top. Are you planning to redo your hair and make-up? I would, but I have crummy old lady hair.

I'm still hoping MIL will bow out. Too long a confined ride for no wedding and only dinner at the reception, and I still think she is aware of how much people go out of their way to care for her. I might even post a picture of her next to the memorial section of the reception with a nice note from her.