Author Topic: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - small update page #6 and #7 and #9  (Read 32488 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I'm sorry, but if I'm expected to climb on board a ski chair (not a tram) to get somewhere, I'm wearing my "we're having an outdoor adventure" garb. Hiking boots, cargo shorts and a t. Trying to get on one of those things while dressed nicely is a surrealist's dream.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

bopper

• Super Hero!
a) I'll get a ton of grief about not wanting to ride the aeril tram to the top of the mountain. If that stuff starts - then I will just bypass the wedding.

"Well, I am sure everyone will have a much better time without me vomiting in the tram."

POF

Especially on an open chair on a windy day ......   :o

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
All I know is that attending a wedding in clothes suitable for a ski lift chair would make me very angry with the person who planned it; I actually enjoy formal clothing more than casual.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
I don't think I'd be comfortable on a chair lift, especially if it's windy.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

menley

Gosh. I don't even enjoy being on ski lifts when I go skiing. I can't imagine having to take one in wedding attire.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
This definitely sounds like one of those cases whee the bride and groom have prioritised the value of the location over the value of their guests. I wouldn't attend this at all and I'd laugh in the face of anyone who suggested I drag an elderly lady along as no one in their right mind could possibly be serious about that.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
This definitely sounds like one of those cases whee the bride and groom have prioritised the value of the location over the value of their guests. I wouldn't attend this at all and I'd laugh in the face of anyone who suggested I drag an elderly lady along as no one in their right mind could possibly be serious about that.

I don't go looking for this sort of stuff, but could that have been planned to guarantee that nobody looks better than the bride?

POF

I don't go looking for this sort of stuff, but could that have been planned to guarantee that nobody looks better than the bride?

Not at all - she is actually really nice. They just like things to be NEAT and COOL and FUN and HIP and we are SPORTY and OUTDOORSY.

So the adventure type wedding does fit them and probably most of their.  Stick in the mud POF will be sick on a ski lift though. 

I will probably end up entertaining the oldsters who won't be able to go up the lift ... and you know what - I really like elderly people.  I am much better with them than I am with children.  So what I might do is arrange for afternoon tea for MIL and I and anyone else who doesn't want to go flinging up the mountain.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!

Not at all - she is actually really nice. They just like things to be NEAT and COOL and FUN and HIP and we are SPORTY and OUTDOORSY.

So the adventure type wedding does fit them and probably most of their.  Stick in the mud POF will be sick on a ski lift though. 

I will probably end up entertaining the oldsters who won't be able to go up the lift ... and you know what - I really like elderly people.  I am much better with them than I am with children.  So what I might do is arrange for afternoon tea for MIL and I and anyone else who doesn't want to go flinging up the mountain.

You are the epitome of making the best of a bad situation. And also a very kind person!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I've done the ski lift starts and stops so people can get on and off without snow to glide away on. It was only us (Sis, BIL, Baby Loren, and me) and part way up they stopped for another group to get on. Frankly I was terrified when it stopped. I don't like heights when I'm not in control, and white knuckled it when we stopped part way  up. I would have been close to panic if it was stop every chair to get people on and off - because I felt like I was going to pitch off with the 2 stops we made. I also hate farris wheels for the same reason.  I couldn't scramble away fast enough when we got to the top - and I was in shorts and sneakers.

Also how are they expecting people to get down? Lifts aren't made for getting on and going down. On our trip the idea was to take the lift up and hike down. The hike down was great - I loved it but after a wedding and in a large group would be different - especially if it is getting toward dark.

My cousin got married on our farm. I wore smart looking pants and a very dressy tip with practical loafers. Even the most proper in the family didn't say a word. Honestly those who had been there before had sneakers in their cars and most changed by the time the sun started going down.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Clockwork Banana

The check-in time at the hotel being after the start of the ceremony creates even more logistical problems.

After one drives the three/four hours, one will not be able to check in/freshen up etc. before having to set out for the celebrations.

I would think that that would be something that a good planner would address - make arrangements with the hotel to provide earlier check-in for this special event.

POF

Yeah -  I really do not know what I plan to do about freshening up.  Hopefully not in the hotel lobby - but that is what I think will happen.

We could have booked the room for Friday night and came up on Friday / early Saturday - but then I am $$$  into this wedding. 

I am sure there was no planner involved - because it is a bit disorganized.  As far as getting down the hill..... DH tells me he is going down on the alpine slide and if the ceremony runs late - he is leaving to do it anyway   ::).  Plus in mid October - it will start getting dark early and cold. Ceremony is late afternoon, maybe lasting 45 minutes, then I don't know - I bet it takes a long time to get people on and off the lift thing ... so they may be pushing darkness. 

I will stay in the nice warm bar and drink tea ( with a shot of something ) - and I will get us all checked in for the room. 

The thing with this family is that will have great ideas.... but they don't think through the logistics. it will just be "fine". 

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
Re: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - small update page #6 and #7
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
We're assigning some pretty mean traits to this couple and then blowing them all up when we talk about "hikes" and "base jumping" when really, the main concern here seems to be the gondola/train. Not the "hike".

Yikes. I was just kidding about the BASE jumping.

Well at least OP could tell Sally to go jump off a cliff........... without being rude :D

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

CakeEater

I don't think I'd be comfortable on a chair lift, especially if it's windy.

And especially if they're stopping the lift every 10 metres to get that lot of people off. Jerk, stop swing around, go for 10 metres, jerk stop swing around etc for however many chairs of people there are.