News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 09:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - wedding update #12  (Read 76443 times)

LadyL

Re: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - wedding update #12
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
I have mentioned before that I attended a ceremony in a conservative evangelical church in which the sermon was summarized by the acronym "K.I.S.S." I don't remember what K and I stood for, but I definitely remember the S's: Shame and Suffering, the consequences the couple would face if they forsake their marriage vows and chose to divorce. Yep, the pastor mentioned the d-word during a wedding ceremony. I though it was in really poor taste. How little esteem must they have for the convictions of their congregants if they feel they need to remind them of the consquences of divorce while they are getting married?

POF

« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
I am an adoptive parent, medically I was unable to have a child.  This pastor also started in that the purpose of marriage is procreation.  Even now - 20 years after finding out I was infertile, it bothered me to hear that.

NFPwife

« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
I am an adoptive parent, medically I was unable to have a child.  This pastor also started in that the purpose of marriage is procreation.  Even now - 20 years after finding out I was infertile, it bothered me to hear that.

I'm so sorry you had to endure that. Hugs.

POF

« Reply #183 on: October 20, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
The good thing is that LHS was pretty well behaved - and she looked lovely. Her dress was stunning and appropriate.

scansons

« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
See, I keep telling my husband that he his 12 minute sermons should be an advertising point.  I think this thread more than bears me out.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:13:36 PM by scansons »

POF

« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »
Yes it is an advertising point.  We had a wonderful priest once who had very short and to the point sermons.  Plus he would teach us a few words of porteguese

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
Reminds me of a story my Mom told.  A relative of hers was a minister.  When he visited Mom's hometown, when she was a kid, he'd often be asked to preach.  He showed up one time and looked up.  'Huh.  You've taken down the clock.  I guess I'll just talk until I run out of things to say.'  He got going and was going for quite a while.  Mom and her cousins figured he'd talked enough and all of them held up their watches!   ;D

Man, if I'd pulled that stunt, I'd have never heard the end of it.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

HorseFreak

« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
A Catholic ex-BF of mine once asked me where atheists got married. He was completely serious when he asked, "Is there an atheist church?" I told him, "Wherever they want." He was mystified. His brother got married at an outside venue with a minister who included several faiths into the ceremony which I imagine blew his mind.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
A Catholic ex-BF of mine once asked me where atheists got married. He was completely serious when he asked, "Is there an atheist church?" I told him, "Wherever they want." He was mystified. His brother got married at an outside venue with a minister who included several faiths into the ceremony which I imagine blew his mind.
I do NOT believe the following but  have run into this idea before.

He may have been taught that if the wedding was not sanctified by an acceptable (to the speaker) member of clergy there was no marriage and the couple is living in sin. I have heard this argument before, but Catholics are usually outsiders to people making this argument. I disengage and quietly walk away from these people and stay far away.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »

He may have been taught that if the wedding was not sanctified by an acceptable (to the speaker) member of clergy there was no marriage and the couple is living in sin. I have heard this argument before, but Catholics are usually outsiders to people making this argument. I disengage and quietly walk away from these people and stay far away.

I've run into many strange misconceptions about atheism from people who were raised in many different Christian sects.  The things some of the clergy preach to their congregations about atheism are hateful and small-minded at worst, and extremely misguided at best.

HorseFreak

« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

He honestly just didn't know you COULD get married outside of a church. He got really excited when informed otherwise.  I have nothing bad to say about the guy at all, he was pretty much a Sunday-Only Catholic and we considered getting married before we broke up over whether or not to have kids. I'm 99% sure he got married at an outside venue himself.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:20:38 PM by HorseFreak »

FauxFoodist

« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »
I've run into many strange misconceptions about atheism from people who were raised in many different Christian sects.  The things some of the clergy preach to their congregations about atheism religion are hateful and small-minded at worst, and extremely misguided at best.

I've run into the same from some atheists and trying to engage in a rational discussion or agree to disagree has not worked (one person was the friend of a friend and was an FB friend; I defriended him after that when I realized how hateful and small-minded he truly was).  The hateful and small-minded are not limited to one side or one group, I'm afraid (Wouldn't life be easier if they were?  They'd be so much easier to avoid!).

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »
I've run into many strange misconceptions about atheism from people who were raised in many different Christian sects.  The things some of the clergy preach to their congregations about atheism religion are hateful and small-minded at worst, and extremely misguided at best.

I've run into the same from some atheists and trying to engage in a rational discussion or agree to disagree has not worked (one person was the friend of a friend and was an FB friend; I defriended him after that when I realized how hateful and small-minded he truly was).  The hateful and small-minded are not limited to one side or one group, I'm afraid (Wouldn't life be easier if they were?  They'd be so much easier to avoid!).

Those same clergy members did often preach bad things about other religious groups, not just atheism.  Their preaching, generally, seems to be a message of group cohesion by banding together against outsiders, rather than the improving of oneself through faith. 

FauxFoodist

« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »

Those same clergy members did often preach bad things about other religious groups, not just atheism.  Their preaching, generally, seems to be a message of group cohesion by banding together against outsiders, rather than the improving of oneself through faith.

That reminds me of a Catholic I know.  She decided I was not a very good person and didn't really want to know me because I wouldn't join her in feeling that non-Catholic Christians are a bad sort (I was in a bible study founded by Protestants and refused to accept her diatribe about how bad Protestants are and that I was being led astray being part of this bible study; the thing is that while I, ultimately, enjoyed the spiritual support I got from fellowship, I joined the bible study for intellectual reasons as I really had just wanted to study the bible).  Guess she changed her mind as we get along fine now (but I still refuse to rail against others Christians, never mind others as a group, just because their belief systems/viewpoints are different from mine).  Hell, even Catholics she and DH know are divided against each other because some are die-hard "traddies" (the Latin Mass enthusiasts) while others are more contemporary Catholics.  I just shake my head mentally and stay out of it.  I figure there are people who just need something to hate others about (rather than, as you point out, improve themselves through their faith).

Sorry, POF, I just realized we're getting way side-tracked here.

nolechica

« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2014, 11:32:15 PM »

I've run into many strange misconceptions about atheism from people who were raised in many different Christian sects.  The things some of the clergy preach to their congregations about atheism are hateful and small-minded at worst, and extremely misguided at best.

Yep and the etiquette of how to handle people raised that way is sticky.  This thread and the bridal shower thread reminded me why I don't much like either of those events anymore.