Author Topic: Lakehouse Sally and an upcoming wedding - wedding update #12  (Read 41138 times)

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
I agree POF is the nicest people i ever had the pleasure to meet online  :-*

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

POF

Well thanks ! That is very nice. I am a much better person due to the great role models here at EH !

greencat

Yeah -  I really do not know what I plan to do about freshening up.  Hopefully not in the hotel lobby - but that is what I think will happen.

We could have booked the room for Friday night and came up on Friday / early Saturday - but then I am $$$  into this wedding. 

I am sure there was no planner involved - because it is a bit disorganized.  As far as getting down the hill..... DH tells me he is going down on the alpine slide and if the ceremony runs late - he is leaving to do it anyway   ::).  Plus in mid October - it will start getting dark early and cold. Ceremony is late afternoon, maybe lasting 45 minutes, then I don't know - I bet it takes a long time to get people on and off the lift thing ... so they may be pushing darkness. 

I will stay in the nice warm bar and drink tea ( with a shot of something ) - and I will get us all checked in for the room. 

The thing with this family is that will have great ideas.... but they don't think through the logistics. it will just be "fine".

I foresee either a wedding remembered for serious logistical problems or one that has the logistics changed before the wedding date.

AngelicGamer

Yeah -  I really do not know what I plan to do about freshening up.  Hopefully not in the hotel lobby - but that is what I think will happen.

We could have booked the room for Friday night and came up on Friday / early Saturday - but then I am $$$  into this wedding. 

I am sure there was no planner involved - because it is a bit disorganized.  As far as getting down the hill..... DH tells me he is going down on the alpine slide and if the ceremony runs late - he is leaving to do it anyway   ::).  Plus in mid October - it will start getting dark early and cold. Ceremony is late afternoon, maybe lasting 45 minutes, then I don't know - I bet it takes a long time to get people on and off the lift thing ... so they may be pushing darkness. 

I will stay in the nice warm bar and drink tea ( with a shot of something ) - and I will get us all checked in for the room. 

The thing with this family is that will have great ideas.... but they don't think through the logistics. it will just be "fine".

I foresee either a wedding remembered for serious logistical problems or one that has the logistics changed before the wedding date.

POD.  Double so if it starts snowing.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

gmatoy

Shucky darn! I just realized that we all have to wait until October to hear how this works out in real life! (Did I mention that I'm not good at waiting?)

Precarious Armada

• This sig is witty, memorable, and eminently quotable
  • Off in my own little world...
At least there's lots of time to make virtual popcorn.

I wonder if the happy couple would have friends who would be willing to organise a skype session for the mobility-impaired group so that they can still watch the wedding at the afternoon tea? Rustle up several Ipads/similar devices? That way, POF and co can still 'attend', even if it's from several km away :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
POF, I still think there is an element of selfishness in the planning of this wedding.  How many others can manage the walk down from that hill?  How many of the guests are elderly?

I don't qualify as elderly but I'd never manage that walk down with my bad knees.

camlan

• Super Hero!
About the ski lift--I attended a wedding where the reception was at a restaurant at a ski area. The bride and groom were Olympic/professional skiers. The restaurant was up on the side of the mountain.

The ski lift was the main way of getting there. There was a bus for those who didn't want to use the ski lift, but it only ran up the mountain once or twice.

I had never been on a ski lift before. We were all dressed up, with dresses and heels.

It was fun. The groom's brothers were stationed at the top of the ski lift to help people scramble off. They did stop the lift when the bride reached the top, as getting off with her train and heels would have been a bit tricky, plus the bride and groom had packed most of their attendants (all their nieces and nephews, ages 3-7) into the lift with them.

No problems with skirts billowing up. No one lost their shoes. And because it was October, the foliage was fantastic.

But the key thing, I think, is that there was an alternative to the ski lift.

And I have a great picture of the bride and groom and all the kids in their seat on the lift, with the train of the wedding gown floating in the air, and all the reds and oranges of the trees under them.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Minmom3

That sounds really pretty, Camlan!  Love to have seen that!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

wyliefool

Shucky darn! I just realized that we all have to wait until October to hear how this works out in real life! (Did I mention that I'm not good at waiting?)

Many ski areas already have snow in Oct. That'll be interesting.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum

Very interesting. Because places that don't get snow early tend, for some strange reason, not to get developed as ski hills.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
I don't think I'd be comfortable on a chair lift, especially if it's windy.

And especially if they're stopping the lift every 10 metres to get that lot of people off. Jerk, stop swing around, go for 10 metres, jerk stop swing around etc for however many chairs of people there are.

Oh, dear, I hadn't even considered that. I'd probably panic. I don't do heights at the best of times, and stop and go like that? I'd need a sedative.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MrTango

Very interesting. Because places that don't get snow early tend, for some strange reason, not to get developed as ski hills.

Oh, my.  I can just imagine people in formal attire riding a chair lift in October in the mountains.  Formal attire, especially for women, tends not to do much to keep out the cold.

Arila

Oh, my.  I can just imagine people in formal attire riding a chair lift in October in the mountains.  Formal attire, especially for women, tends not to do much to keep out the cold.

This is why men's attire has several layers (and pockets). To make up for such short comings. :D

dawbs

I've done the ski lift starts and stops so people can get on and off without snow to glide away on. It was only us (Sis, BIL, Baby Loren, and me) and part way up they stopped for another group to get on. Frankly I was terrified when it stopped. I don't like heights when I'm not in control, and white knuckled it when we stopped part way  up. I would have been close to panic if it was stop every chair to get people on and off - because I felt like I was going to pitch off with the 2 stops we made. *snip*

Yes--I don't mind ski lifts much, but the moment they stop, I am saying all sorts of bad words as I squinch my eyes close, because not only does it feel like inertia is going to propel you off the lift (because there isn't a safety belt), it makes you acutely aware that every bit of movement is just the chair going back and forth, you can't justify it by telling yourself "oh, it's just because we're going, yay, we'll be at the top in a minute)

I really (mostly) dont' mind ski lifts--I don't love them, but I keep my head and do OK.  I just want to breathe into a bag and flail my arms when they stop them.