Author Topic: Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom during assembly  (Read 3746 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
link

I'm officially over these stunts. He was told in advance not to do it by his school, he disrupted the assembly and  he deserves the suspention. Miss America was there to discuss diversity, not get hit on by someone who wanted attention.

/grabs cane to chase kids off her lawn
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom during assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »
I have no sympathy for this kid. He was told not to do it and he did it anyway...because he was "in the zone?" Nope. Actions have consequences. And I agree. These stunts are getting out of hand.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
I've read his interviews, he sounds very smugly satisfied with himself. His defenders who claim he "has learned his lesson" are way off base - he's learned nothing other than behaving like a jerk leads to lots of attention.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lynnv

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »
He was told not to do this.  He chose to do it anyway.  Honestly, I would support the school if they told him he wasn't welcome to attend prom even if he does get a date from someone.  All they did was put him on in-school suspension.

Mark me as another who has zero sympathy for him.  He is 18 years old and should have known better.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

dawbs

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
It also violates the whole spirit of "don't ask people at work"

I have spelled this out to people who ask out my employees @ their place of work, something like this:
"look, if you as out/hit on Jane when she's out at a bar, she will say yes, say no, or possibly say 'go to hell, you're being creepy'.
Since this is Jane's workplace and she is in the job of dealing w/ the public, saying 'go to hell, you're being creepy' isn't really an option--she's under orders to be polite and professional and not swear at people.
If you wanted to see Jane outside of work, there are ways to do that that don't force her to try to find a polite way to say 'no' if she's not interested.
If you're in a situation where the person you're asking can't say 'go to hell' to you -for any reason-it's a situation where you shouldn't be asking her out"

None of them got it even after that.  ::)

Octavia

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »
I agree with everyone's comments thus far. Additionally, I think it was rude for him to put her on the spot in a public forum like that. He knew that having a large audience would put pressure on her to say yes, or she would have to quickly come up with a graceful way to decline without looking a big meanie. She couldn't win either way. I'm angry on her behalf.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:48 AM »
Each time I see the headline I think, "he wasn't suspended for asking her to prom, he was suspended from deliberately breaking a rule"  I have no sympathy for him.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:31 AM »
I was very surprised how many people defended him on other sites. What if his intent had been to run up & harm the speaker ? Try to imagine if he'd done that to President Obama or another heavily guarded speaker. Someone would've tackled his smart butt in 2 seconds and hauled him out

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
I agree with everybody here. 

The kid sounds intelligent but he was warned not to try the stunt and did it anyway.  A three-day in school suspension is nothing.  He deserves something a bit more harsh than that. 

It may be touching when a special-needs student or a service man asks a celebrity to a formal affair and she accepts.  This one just seems calculated to produce maximum discomfort for all involved except the kid doing the asking. 

It's rude, crude and entitling. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
I completely agree.  If he had done it one a spur of the moment thing during the question and answer session I would defend him.  However, he was told not to do this and he disobeyed.  He got off lightly.

Oh, and to those who've tsk tsk'd Miss America for turning him down because of scheduling?!  People, this young woman's entire year is booked through the Miss America Association.  She will only have one or two breaks all year.  Her schedule becomes her own when a new Miss America is crowned.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
It's days like today that I'm really happy I'm a part of eHell. I was yelling at the TV this morning when they were "sympathizing" over the poor boy.

Even if he hadn't been told to not do so, it would only be common sense that you don't interupt a session to address an entire student body so that you can shift attention to yourself.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:46 PM »
I completely agree.  If he had done it one a spur of the moment thing during the question and answer session I would defend him.  However, he was told not to do this and he disobeyed.  He got off lightly.

Oh, and to those who've tsk tsk'd Miss America for turning him down because of scheduling?!  People, this young woman's entire year is booked through the Miss America Association.  She will only have one or two breaks all year.  Her schedule becomes her own when a new Miss America is crowned.

And of course, she had the right to turn him down for whatever reason she liked, even if scheduling was not an issue.  She's got just as much right to turn him down as any girl at the boy's school would have to turn him down, if he asked and she didn't want to go.  It's really messed up that people would think less of her for turning him down based only on the fact that she is Miss America.

squeakers

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
I'll shake my cane too.  I am getting sick of kids asking celebs to go to prom with them.  For every celeb that says yes... they are just feeding this monster.  And making it harder on those who say No.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

MrTango

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to reduce his punishment even if I believed he actually had learned his lesson.

Sometimes, the punishment for an act of stupidity needs to serve as a warning to others just as much as it serves to punish the guilty party.

Allyson

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 01:43:22 AM »
Ugh, yeah, agreed, no sympathy. I am really not OK with these elaborate/over the top "asking out" of celebrities or other students, *unless* it's a long term relationship and the 'yes' has already been given. It is so much pressure on the one being asked. I've heard of girls being harassed by students for saying no to guys they don't want to date, because he 'did so much'. :(