Author Topic: Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom during assembly  (Read 3612 times)

Mopsy428

Re: Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom during assembly
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
I completely agree.  If he had done it one a spur of the moment thing during the question and answer session I would defend him.  However, he was told not to do this and he disobeyed.  He got off lightly.

Oh, and to those who've tsk tsk'd Miss America for turning him down because of scheduling?!  People, this young woman's entire year is booked through the Miss America Association.  She will only have one or two breaks all year.  Her schedule becomes her own when a new Miss America is crowned.
I volunteer for my State's Miss Organization. Most people have zero clue as to how demanding the national titleholder's schedule is! She travels thousands and thousands of miles per month.

Back to the story, though, I agree with everyone here. He was warned not to do it, but he did it anyway. He showed no respect for the authorities.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
Mopsy428 wrote:

"He was warned not to do it, but he did it anyway. He showed no respect for the authorities."

This part doesn't ring true with me, and I suspect it's coloring people's view of the situation.  The problem is that too many people have had experience with authorities who overstep their bounds and forbid or demand things when they have no right to do it.  So, when they read the headline there are many who will consider the possibility that school officials are being excessive in trying to tell this student who he can ask to attend the prom with him.  The public would have considered it a non-issue if the story had read, "Student suspended for disrupting a school function."

The problem I have with the situation, on the other hand, is that the student was disrespectful to Ms. Davulari herself, by turning what should have been a personal event into a spectacle.  If he truly wished to ask her to attend, he could have found a dozen more polite and honorable ways to do it than calling her out in public while she was working.  It's pretty obvious that he did it to aggrandize himself (and I sincerely doubt he'd have sought her out if she hadn't been the reigning Miss America), and I'd have been more than agreeable to seeing Ms. Davulari dress him down for treating her like an ornament to impress his friends rather than as a person worthy of respectful treatment.

Virg

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
I think by asking publicly he was thinking she couldn't turn him down because of bad press. Wasn't there a singer that was asked out in a similarly public way by a kid, that turned him down because she of scheduling and got all sorts of bad press for being.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
What Virg said:

Especially, were I the principal of that school, the points I'd be making in the school assembly and to the press were this:

Student suspended for disrupting a school function

the student was disrespectful to Ms. Davulari herself, by turning what should have been a personal event into a spectacle.

and even more so would I be making the point that this was a mild version, actually, of rape culture: women exist only to make men happy, and women must consider doing all that men ask them to, just because the people asking are men.

Becuase this:
treating her like an ornament to impress his friends rather than as a person worthy of respectful treatment.

If he paid attention to her as a *person*, he would have said, "We don't know each other. I don't have the social right to treat her in any intimate way, such as asking her to prom."

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:45 AM »
I think by asking publicly he was thinking she couldn't turn him down because of bad press. Wasn't there a singer that was asked out in a similarly public way by a kid, that turned him down because she of scheduling and got all sorts of bad press for being.

I think it was the Barefoot Contessa. She got a ton of hate mail for it, IIRC.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »

I think it was the Barefoot Contessa. She got a ton of hate mail for it, IIRC.

I don't think so. She was asked by someone for the make a wish foundation to cook with a young cancer patient i think?

bloo

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
I thought it was Kate Upton that got flak for turning someone down due to scheduling. Maybe it was both.

I agree that the student should be suspended and the headline was misleading.

We had a Mr. (School Mascot) competition at my school. This was in the 1989-'90 school year. There was formal dress competition and talent. The winner would be crowned by two Hooters girls that came to the high school.

As they were, at one point, waiting on stage for the next part of the competition, one of my idiot classmates and fellow juniors hopped up on stage to walk up and kiss one of the Hooters girls on the cheek. He then hopped back off the stage and went back to his seat. She tolerated it and her smile became 'fixed' for the rest of the evening.

He also happened to be an anchor for the high school news station. The next morning was his final broadcast as he had to give a school-wide apology and was then kicked off the news station. Which was probably a perfect punishment for an attention-hound like he was.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 02:01:49 PM »
Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johanssen both got asked to a military ball via viral video by servicemen, and when there was some hint that Mila couldn't do it people said a lot of nasty things about her. More recently, Kate Upton turned down an invitation from someone who wanted her to attend his senior prom with him and got a lot of snippy, nasty press.

There's this attitude that because he asked, he's owed a yes. I wish that attitude would put on concrete galoshes and take a long walk off a short pier.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

padua

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
he's getting his fifteen minutes of fame. maybe that was his intention all along?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johanssen both got asked to a military ball via viral video by servicemen, and when there was some hint that Mila couldn't do it people said a lot of nasty things about her. More recently, Kate Upton turned down an invitation from someone who wanted her to attend his senior prom with him and got a lot of snippy, nasty press.

There's this attitude that because he asked, he's owed a yes. I wish that attitude would put on concrete galoshes and take a long walk off a short pier.

I agree!

Wasn't Justin Timberlake also asked (and attended) a military ball with a female serviceman?

What a way to put celebraties on the spot!  If they accept, they and their compatriots will start being innundated with requests.  If they decline, they are big meanies.  ::)

If I remember correctly, Taylor Swift was asked to go to Prom.  She declined but then set something up where she met the young man at one of her concerts local to him.  I think this is the best compromise - they are interacting with their fans in an appropriate venue.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
It's still really rude though, to demand that sort of attention from someone you don't even know.

It's very de-humanizing, de-personify-ing. It treats her like an object or a manipulable character, and not like an actual human being.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
Honestly. I completely hate the trend, because at the end of the day people are being asked to hang out with strangers,  and if they weren't a celebrity it would be no big deal of they said no. They should have the right to refuse without being looked down upon for it.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 04:31:03 PM »
I think they should stop saying "I don't have room in my schedule" and start saying, "I don't go on dates with people I don't even know. I have my own family and friends."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
This part doesn't ring true with me, and I suspect it's coloring people's view of the situation.  The problem is that too many people have had experience with authorities who overstep their bounds and forbid or demand things when they have no right to do it.  So, when they read the headline there are many who will consider the possibility that school officials are being excessive in trying to tell this student who he can ask to attend the prom with him.  The public would have considered it a non-issue if the story had read, "Student suspended for disrupting a school function."

Since when can't school officials regulate that ? In my county and the neighboring county, the public school prom rules are (and I'm paraphrasing)"You and your prom date must be current studenta in good standing in this county. You must get the principal's permission to bring a date from another county; your date must also be a current student in their respective county.You may not have missed more than x-amount of school days this school year. You cannot attend prom if you have been sent to the alternative school or been in in school suspension (for more than x-amount of days), been suspended for more than x-days or are expelled." This was partly due to the classes before mine where a Marine & a cocktail waitress were students' dates at a 9th grade dance.

veronaz

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
I have no sympathy for this kid. He was told not to do it and he did it anyway...because he was "in the zone?" Nope. Actions have consequences. And I agree. These stunts are getting out of hand.

I agree.

A couple weeks ago a young girl asked James Maslow to the prom.  He politely declined because he is competing on Dancing with the Stars, but he flew the girl and her family to California, spent some time with the girl, treated them to a trip to Disneyland, and they were in the DWTS audience.

The celebrities are often generous with their time and money.  But I'm tired these stunts.