News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uncomfortable At The Gym Today (Reported to Staff) - What Else Could Be Done?  (Read 7680 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
I took a break from running errands today to drop by the gym and planned a workout in the pool & a soak in the whirlpool (Jacuzzi is a brand name - I have no idea what brand of motor & such this one gym has for their hot tub with jets).

Got to the tub and there was a guy in it...who gave me a bit of an odd vibe.

He was facing the wall of the hot tub, kneeling(?) on the bench, and the water jet was...aimed at an area that made me uncomfortable to be in the same area with him...after about three minutes in the hot tub, I decided to leave as there were only the two of us in the room with the hot tub & pool (ONE of each for everyone - the saunas are in the one-gender dressing areas).  Even with a long wall of glass between the water area and the front desk...nobody on the desk was looking our way.

It did not look like he was massaging a sore hip...let's leave it at that so I don't have to mentally picture it.  I already used the brain bleach while shampooing the various water chemicals out of my hair....

I wasn't so much afraid as I was just really, really uncomfortable...and squicked out.

I don't think that the guy noticed me - he certainly didn't turn around when I checked the timer on the jets or got into the water...and I looked at him about three times for a few seconds in those three minutes (or so) before leaving.  Never saw his face...don't really think that I'd be comfortable recognizing him in the future, anywhere.

After getting dressed again, I went to the desk to speak to an employee.  Who took me to the manager to tell HIM my observation.  Who went off to the men's locker room to see if anyone matching my general description (hair & skin color) - height unknown...but distinctive hair color and "older" guy, not under 35.  Probably not under 45...but some people go gray earlier than others.

A female employee had just been showing a prospective member (client) around and *might* recognize him, as there was only one person in the water area when she went in there with the woman that she was showing around...but whoever was in there was no longer facing away from the center of the hot tub.  So she got a look at that person's face...the hair color matched and there was only one guy in that area during the time period.

The staff will start keeping more of an eye on the whirlpool, I'm told.

++++

But other than avoiding staring and leaving the area quickly to report similar shenanigans, what else could possibly be done?

Other than going out to the front desk still dripping wet...?  Which seemed like it would draw more attention to something that the staff would probably want to deal with quietly....

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:15:34 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Mannerless

Spa jets are pretty strong and I can't imagine that the sensation he would get from having his nether regions blasted by hot water would be all that comfortable.  Is it possible you made incorrect assumptions about what was happening?  At the very least the staff can be on the lookout for lewd behavior.

bah12

Nothing.  I'm not sure how you were certain that he was doing what you thought, but assuming he was, leaving and reporting it is the only thing you can do.

VorFemme

Umm - I can't imagine cleaning your belly button with hot water jet would take very long...

And the short glimpse of the side of his face that I got showed a rather glazed look on what I could see of his face...which is part of why I started getting so uneasy about being in there...granted, it could have been some kind of a seizure - I've never seen one and have no idea what someone's face would look like.  But the next time someone came in, he must have heard the conversation of the employee taking to the potential customer and assumed a more conventional position.  Or he'd left and someone else had come in who was just soaking in the hot tub...

We used to have a hot tum in our back yard, thirty years ago.  The hot water jets going through loose fabric loose some of their force - making a hip massage or a lower spine massage less of a pummeling than an upper back or knee massage.   

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
I do this all the time. Place my knees in the seat and face outward, resting elbows on the edge of the hot tub. It's the perfect "half-in/half-out" when I'm getting too warm, but don't want to get all the way out. I'd personally find it odd if someone was looking closely enough at my crotchal region to discern whether the jet was aiming at my hip, thigh, or elsewhere.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Please pass the Calgon

I used to work in a gym with these type of hot tubs and have had to deal with this issue (this issue, not an assumption of the issue) more than once. As a client all you should do is bring it to the attention of the employees, not engage/comment to the person.

Our changing rooms each had a wall phone that could directly dial the front desk...does yours have a similar set up? If so, use that phone rather than deal with the hassle of drying off, changing, etc. Or ask the staff how they prefer you handle it.

doodlemor

I think that you did the right thing, VorFemme.  As Please Pass the Calgon stated, this seems to be a hot tub/Jacuzzi issue sometimes.  Who knew?

VorFemme

I think that you did the right thing, VorFemme.  As Please Pass the Calgon stated, this seems to be a hot tub/Jacuzzi issue sometimes.  Who knew?

Who wants to think about it?  Not me...

mich3554

Whoops....

I've had hip issues for years, and some times have found that pointing the jets at my hips really helpful with alleviating some of the ache.  There were times where it felt so good that I probably looked like I was doing other things. :-[

Even now, having a jet hit directly at the place where my leg attaches to my body is incredibly effective when my prostheses ache.

It never dawned on me that people would think I was doing other things.......

doodlemor

Who wants to think about it?  Not me...

One more comment.  I was friends with a nurse who worked in an ER a few years back.  Her stories were much worse.

VorFemme

VorGuy's sister is a nurse.  She hasn't told us everything that ever happened - MIL would not approve of "top this" stories at the dinner table.  Mom worked in a hospital lab doing blood draws & the like for a while.  I'm sure that what I have heard doesn't even scratch the top of a mighty large iceberg.

I did read Dr. Alan Nourse's book On the Making of A Surgeon (something like that - originally published under the pen name "Dr. X" - I later found a list of his published books that included his science fiction and the book about his residency.  It was in a book about the Mayo Clinic and his sojourn there during treatment. 

I read the Readers' Digest Condensed version of the Surgeon book, so I'm pretty sure that some of the more tasteless events had been Bowdlerized.

cicero

I think you did what you could do. and I also think that - while it was possible that he wasn't doing what you think he was doing - i would go with your gut on this one. If it was enough to make you feel an odd vibe and feel that uncomfortable then it probably was exactly *that*. and if not - then someone should alert that guy that "sitting like that makes it look like something you shouldn't be doing in a public whirlpool"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

I think you did what you could do. and I also think that - while it was possible that he wasn't doing what you think he was doing - i would go with your gut on this one. If it was enough to make you feel an odd vibe and feel that uncomfortable then it probably was exactly *that*. and if not - then someone should alert that guy that "sitting like that makes it look like something you shouldn't be doing in a public whirlpool"

There is a large immigrant population in the area.  There are signs up in bathrooms telling people to FLUSH the used toilet tissue instead of putting it in the little trash.  There are signs telling people that the little trash things are for feminine hygiene products.  There are MORE signs in the hot tub area telling people to shower before getting in (and I've seen sweaty guys come in from the ball court & walk past the shower to jump in the hot tub with their CLOTHES on - once or twice - over three years - not a great track record, but I go during the day, not after work hours) as well as more signs telling them not to shave or use pumice stones on their callouses in the hot tub.

It's enough to have me singing "sign, sign, everywhere a sign, blocking off the scenery, breaking my mind...."!  One or two have signs up asking people to please not stand on the toilets but to sit on them - with an outline of a human being sitting down & another one with the human outline squatting on the toilet inside one of those circles with the slash inside...I still see footprints on the seat once in a great while...

The only times I have actually seen men in the ladies' changing room at this gym was when there was plumbing or other repairs being worked on. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:17:56 PM by VorFemme »

Yvaine

There is a large immigrant population in the area.  There are signs up in bathrooms telling people to FLUSH the used toilet tissue instead of putting it in the little trash.  There are signs telling people that the little trash things are for feminine hygiene products.  There are MORE signs in the hot tub area telling people to shower before getting in (and I've seen sweaty guys come in from the ball court & walk past the shower to jump in the hot tub with their CLOTHES on - once or twice - over three years - not a great track record, but I go during the day, not after work hours) as well as more signs telling them not to shave or use pumice stones on their callouses in the hot tub.

It's enough to have me singing "sign, sign, everywhere a sign, blocking off the scenery, breaking my mind...."!  One or two have signs up asking people to please not stand on the toilets but to sit on them - with an outline of a human being sitting down & another one with the human outline squatting on the toilet inside one of those circles with the slash inside...I still see footprints on the seat once in a great while...

The only times I have actually seen men in the ladies' changing room at this gym was when there was plumbing or other repairs being worked on.

Did you mean to post this in the women's restroom thread? And what do immigrants have to do with it?

VorFemme

Did you mean to post this in the women's restroom thread? And what do immigrants have to do with it?

It could go either place - as the "no shaving in the hot tub" sign is by the hot tub in the original post.  Come to think of it, so were some of the toilets with footprints...and certainly the guy jumping in fully clothed, taking off only his shoes from his game of handball...

Immigrants might come from a location with other plumbing set ups (squat toilets or communal bathing being more common than a private house having complete facilities) or where a public facility might be unisex except for certain hours of certain days...depending on the number of available public baths and how much the infrastructure for them "cost" in terms of building material, man hours, and water use.  So if there were no expectations of women being in the facility - the "male locker room" mentality might trigger a more relaxed expectation of what behavior would be tolerated. 

I'm not trying to be mean - there are different behaviors in a woman's locker room and a man's locker room - based on what I saw growing up & going to the female locker room & hearing from my brothers & husband about what happened in the same time & location, even to the same school, but in the male locker room on the other side of the building.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:58:38 PM by VorFemme »

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.