Author Topic: Using caps  (Read 5250 times)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
Using caps
« on: April 22, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
It has long been netiquette that the use of caps is YELLING. The only exception, as far as I know, is when someone uses internet slang such as LOL, AFAIK, etc.

Please use italics or bold to emphasize, but no caps unless you want to be gagged. The use of caps=yelling is not new so for the life of me I don't understand why people persist.

Stop it.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

jalutaja

Re: Using caps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:09:49 AM »
Can you clarify - why do you think ETC should be used in caps?

The other examples - LOL, AFAIK- I have seen generally used in caps, but not ETC.

And what an irony, that while you do allow other posters to use ETC in caps, you have accidentally taken off the caps lock when typing it!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:18:39 AM »
I read the etc as referring to other Internet slang, such as IMO, YMMV, IIRC, not etc itself. That would explain why etc is not capitalised.

greencat

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:30:50 AM »
Can you clarify - why do you think ETC should be used in caps?

The other examples - LOL, AFAIK- I have seen generally used in caps, but not ETC.

And what an irony, that while you do allow other posters to use ETC in caps, you have accidentally taken off the caps lock when typing it!

"etc." is an abbreviation for et cetera, meaning generally "and other things like that," not internet slang.  That is most definitely why it is not capitalized.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »
I believe etc should be in lower case, along with ie and its relative, eg.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:34:23 PM by cass2591 »
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
I believe etc and its relative, ie, should be in lower case.

Correct. They're not acronyms or initialisms.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Clarissa

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
I don't believe that anything should be in caps, even lol, etc. unless you are angry and want to show it. And yes, I read the etc in the earlier post as etcetera, not internet slang etc without the caps lock. I personally hate when people use caps as it does make me feel as if I'm being shouted at.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
A logistical suggestion, for those trying to avoid caps:

I personally find using bold or italics to be cumbersome. I type very rapidly, and stopping to move the mouse around is really hard.

I use odd characters before the word, like *this* or maybe -this-.

I find it faster, and it still emphasizes the word without the caps. (Interestingly, in Microsoft Word, and I think even in Outlook, if you put *'s around a word as I did, the software will automatically change it to caps.)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »

I find it faster, and it still emphasizes the word without the caps. (Interestingly, in Microsoft Word, and I think even in Outlook, if you put *'s around a word as I did, the software will automatically change it to caps.)

That's weird.  If I put *'s around words in Word, it bolds it for me

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
In this forum software, you can also type [ i ] and [ /i ] to do italics (remove spaces).
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

jmarvellous

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »
I'm not bothered by the occasional all-caps word, and I certainly think it's appropriate to capitalize acronyms where they normally would be, but I appreciate that this forum doesn't like whole sentences capitalized. It sure makes reading easier.

If people find the buttons burdensome, it's quite easy to press ctrl+b  ctrl+i or ctrl+u to create bold, italic or underline tags in this forum. You can then type the words you want emphasized between the tags (that is, type the word between the innermost brackets in the tag [*b]like this, minus the asterisks[*/b]. You can do it retroactively by highlighting typed text and pressing the key combo, too.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »
jmarvellous, I couldn't make the ctrl+b work; it backspaces instead.
Is it because I'm on a Mac?

I find the typing of the brackets to be awkward most of the time, but it does work.

The other things I try to do (not that successfully, but sometimes) is persuade myself that I don't need to emphasize the word.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »
jmarvellous, I couldn't make the ctrl+b work; it backspaces instead.
Is it because I'm on a Mac?

I find the typing of the brackets to be awkward most of the time, but it does work.

The other things I try to do (not that successfully, but sometimes) is persuade myself that I don't need to emphasize the word.

For a Mac I think it's Command-B.

jmarvellous

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
Indeed, it's that ⌘ key, rather than Ctrl, on Macs.

Happy typing.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
I usually type out my post and then go back to do the bold, italic, etc. since I have to use the mouse to click the spell check and post buttons anyway.

I have been guilty of using all caps for one or two words (very rarely and never an entire sentence) when I feel even "bold" is not strong enough :-\ :P.