Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

Using caps

(1/5) > >>

cass2591:
It has long been netiquette that the use of caps is YELLING. The only exception, as far as I know, is when someone uses internet slang such as LOL, AFAIK, etc.

Please use italics or bold to emphasize, but no caps unless you want to be gagged. The use of caps=yelling is not new so for the life of me I don't understand why people persist.

Stop it.

jalutaja:
Can you clarify - why do you think ETC should be used in caps?

The other examples - LOL, AFAIK- I have seen generally used in caps, but not ETC.

And what an irony, that while you do allow other posters to use ETC in caps, you have accidentally taken off the caps lock when typing it!

Psychopoesie:
I read the etc as referring to other Internet slang, such as IMO, YMMV, IIRC, not etc itself. That would explain why etc is not capitalised.

greencat:

--- Quote from: jalutaja on April 23, 2014, 05:09:49 AM ---Can you clarify - why do you think ETC should be used in caps?

The other examples - LOL, AFAIK- I have seen generally used in caps, but not ETC.

And what an irony, that while you do allow other posters to use ETC in caps, you have accidentally taken off the caps lock when typing it!

--- End quote ---

"etc." is an abbreviation for et cetera, meaning generally "and other things like that," not internet slang.  That is most definitely why it is not capitalized.

cass2591:
I believe etc should be in lower case, along with ie and its relative, eg.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version