A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Tips for making everyday stuff easier...any0ne else?

(1/22) > >>

Bijou:
I saw an Dr Oz program where they showed some tips for making things easier.  They called them life hacks.  One was to make a well in the center of rice you are cooling/freezing so it cools faster and thaws and reheats faster.  Good idea, I think.
I don't know if these are life tips, but they work for me, 
I love the asiago pasta salad I get at the deli, but I have to keep a close eye on my carbs.  I take half a serving of the salad and mix in the same amount of  low fat cottage cheese. It adds protein, is nicely filling and cuts the carbs down.  The asiago is something of a strong cheese so it isn't completely lost with the addition of the cottage cheese.  I did throw in a little Gorgonzola cheese just because I love that stuff!
I made mac and cheese once by adding a bunch of soft tofu to it.  It was good, too.  I saw that tip on the food channel.
When I make scrambled eggs I use one real egg and about 1/3 cup egg substitute mixed together.
If I make popcorn I use a mixture of butter and some kind of oil (olive, sesame, walnut) to cut the cholesterol and sodium. 

TootsNYC:
A friend of mine ended up with white rice spilled on her carpet after a dinner. She let it dry overnight, and then just vacuumed it right up. Way easier than trying to scrape the sticky rice off the carpet while it was still wet.

I use a squeegee to clean my kitchen counters.

Outdoor Girl:
I live alone.  Cooking for one person is a pain!  I almost never get the portions right, usually making just a bit too much if I'm trying to make a single portion.  So I gave up on cooking for one.  I bought a chest freezer and cook large quantities at a time and freeze single portions.

So right now, in my freezer, I have:  baked beans, pea soup, turkey soup, butternut squash soup, lazy cabbage rolls and chicken dinners with veggies and pasta.  I have some more plates ready to go with just the veggies that need a protein added.  For the dinners, I'll cook up various veggies and proteins and then mix and match up the plates, stacking them in my fridge freezer with a rotation between the proteins.  Then each day, I just grab a dinner for my lunch.  I tend to eat the soups in the evening.

It is a lot of work on the one or two days a month I do the cooking but it sure makes my life easier on a day to day basis.

siamesecat2965:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on April 24, 2014, 03:23:22 PM ---A friend of mine ended up with white rice spilled on her carpet after a dinner. She let it dry overnight, and then just vacuumed it right up. Way easier than trying to scrape the sticky rice off the carpet while it was still wet.

I use a squeegee to clean my kitchen counters.

--- End quote ---

I do this with shredded cheese and coffee grounds. I always end up with coffee on my counters due to the way I make it, and Iíve found as long as I blot up the liquid, and leave the grounds, when they dry, its so much easier to wipe them up, and they donít stick to my hands!

I also cook in bulk, but since I live in an apt, no room for a freezer.  and this may be a no brainer, but as I am useless in the morning, i will try and put my lunch together while I'm making my dinner the night before, or as I'm cleaning up. this way i just have to grab and go.

Ms_Cellany:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on April 24, 2014, 03:23:22 PM ---A friend of mine ended up with white rice spilled on her carpet after a dinner. She let it dry overnight, and then just vacuumed it right up. Way easier than trying to scrape the sticky rice off the carpet while it was still wet.

--- End quote ---

We use the same principle for cat puke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version