Author Topic: Joan Rivers still making jokes about Ariel Castro hostage victims  (Read 6253 times)

veronaz

Okay, I know Joan is a comedienne, and I've laughed at many of her routines throughout the years.  But I think she went too far........very poor taste, imo:

"Just days after comparing her living arrangements on her reality show to what the women faced, Rivers kept it up. She told TMZ, the celebrity gossip program, that Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry should not complain: "They got to live rent free for more than a decade . . . One of them has a book deal. Neither are in a psych ward. They're OK. I bet you within three years one of them will be on Dancing with the Stars."

And she went on. In an apparent reference to a lack of sense of humor, she said, "The TV the guy gave them must not have had SNL.''

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2014/04/joan_rivers_downplays_her_joke.html

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2014/04/joan_rivers_downplays_her_joke.html

Reika

Re: Joan Rivers still making jokes about Ariel Castro hostage victims
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »
 :o

How is that even remotely funny?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
I think Miss Rivers is off her memory meds...bless her heart...which is probably in a jar at her plastic surgeon's office.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

veronaz

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
Joan is very protective of her own daughter.  I saw Joan on Celebrity Apprentice, and she is a vicious Mama Bear who protects her cub.  She should be more sensitive to what the girls and their families went thru.  For goodness sakes, that creep impregnated one of the girls.
Not funny at all.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »
Joan is very protective of her own daughter.  I saw Joan on Celebrity Apprentice, and she is a vicious Mama Bear who protects her cub.  She should be more sensitive to what the girls and their families went thru.  For goodness sakes, that creep impregnated one of the girls.
Not funny at all.

A slight correction: he impregnated two and made one have multiple miscarriages, and then allowed the child of the other to live.

Joan is a woman with absolutely no class whatsoever. I'm saddened she made the comment, but not surprised.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

veronaz

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
A slight correction: he impregnated two and made one have multiple miscarriages, and then allowed the child of the other to live.

Thanks for the correction, violinp. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
Wow that really disappoints me. Shame on her.

Jones

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:18:52 PM »
After her comments a year or two ago about hot Germans and concentration camp ovens, I'm hardly surprised. She crosses lines and thinks it's funny, I mean.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
I used to like her.  Now she's just vulgar.  Even on Fashion Police she makes comments that go way over the line.  I only watch Fashion Police to see the other people on there (Kelly Osbourne).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
"Neither is in a psyche ward. They're OK."

Wow. Just ... wow.

Sometimes I think celebrities like Rivers just pretend not to have any human sensitivities. Then one of them proves they don't. It's clear that Joan feels that being rescued after being held in captivity for ten years is just another way to get publicity. Sort of like what they do on Jack@ss. You can almost hear the resentment - "How come they've got more attention over the past year than I did?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mime

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »
I think Miss Rivers is off her memory meds...bless her heart...which is probably in a jar at her plastic surgeon's office.

aaaanndd chai nearly came out of my nose thanks to that comment.

As for the "they're not in a psych ward" comment. I recall that in a trial regarding Elizabeth Smart, the defense team stated that her experience must not have been *that* horrible because she adjusted so well back to normal life once she was free again.   >:(

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
   I really used to like Joan Rivers , her red carpet shows weren't to my taste but I do think it offensive to banter with/even joke about willing celebrities.  Then I felt sorry for her.

This is so vile and repugnant. She's being a bully.

lowspark

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
I don't see anything surprising about her comments. I don't really remember Joan Rivers being particularly subtle in her humor. She always says outrageous stuff like this - it's her style. And for her, it works. After all, look at all the attention she's getting over this.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
She was kind of funny back in the old days but now she'd just nasty. But even back then, she was mean for always making fat jokes; her "jokes" are always...whats the word...such vicious personal attacks. Even in more current times, I use to like the fashion show, but can't watch anymore. The show nowadays is less about fashion and just an excuse for her to make nasty disgusting punch lines. And the worst part is, she can dish it but she can't take it.

Mikayla

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »
I think she's been on a long, slow train to vulgarity.  She's always been outspoken and pulled it off for quite a while.  But then she turned some kind of corner.

I saw her on Fashion Police about a year ago and, as tough as my skin is, I was horrified by some of her comments.