Author Topic: Please help me plan my parties . . . New Questions #21, THANK YOU #29  (Read 3296 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Both my DDs have their Bdays on Mother's day weekend. DD#2 on Saturday, DD#1 on Sunday.

Long story short, tradition has been that I will either cook a dinner of their choice for them (and a few friends) or take them out to dinner.

DD#2 opted for a back yard BBQ and asked for some really yummy hamburgers, homemade french fries and a lot of "different" appetizers. There is some BG reasons for her guest list to be a bit larger than just a few, but suffice it to say the guest list is about 10-15 people.

So I thought about doing a variety of sliders in the oven.* I won't do the french fries because you need to eat them hot. Once they get cold or sit out for a while FFs are just no good any more.

So here's my tentative menu:

4 pans of sliders (each pan serving 9-12 sliders, so 4 pans would serve 4 sliders/personish)

--1 pan beacon/mushroom

--1 pan jalapeno/jack cheese (I know my audience, this will be appreciated)

--1 pan bbq style (with sauce mixed in the meat and covered with extra sauce, but this one is iffy to me. I know DD#1 loves bbq sauce. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.)

--1 pan plain ol' burgers with cheese on the side

--lettuce, onions, tomatos, ketchup, mustard, buns, etc.

*I'm thinking of making the burgers a day ahead and then warming them the day of in order to serve them all at one time. Or would you stage this by cooking a pan or two, then a half hour later serving another fresh batch of different variety?

--Potato salad and coleslaw or cucumber salad

--Guacamole, salsa and chips

--Tray of fresh fruits

--Crab stuffed mushrooms

--I'm stuck on other appetizer ideas. Any thoughts?

Party time will be from 2:00 till whenever. I'm planning on serving the burgers and salads around 3:30ish/4:00. Apps will be on the table when guests arrive.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? would be greatly appreciated.

On to the next day Bday party dinner . . . which will be much smaller (5? people) since it's also Mother's Day and will happen after DD#1 takes me out for a mani-pedi ;D

DD#1 asked for extra yummy burgers and homemade french fries. :o I had to tell her that's exactly what DD#2 asked for. Word for Word! So we decided on BBQ pork steaks. I asked her what else she would like and she said "I don't care, think of something yummy!" . . . Me? I'm thinking leftovers. :-[

I'll do the french fries, order extra thick pork steaks and serve the leftover salads, etc. Is that good enough?

edited to add a letter.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:31:34 PM by jpcher »

Kaypeep

Re: Please help me plan my parties . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:30:31 PM »
How old are the guests?  I'm thinking if they are kids or teens, I don't think mushroom on the burgers will be too popular, nor crab stuffed mushrooms.  Are your daughters teens?  Adults?  I think that makes a difference for the burger choices.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
DD#1 will be 22 and DD#2 will be 20.

doodlemor

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Your menus sound yummy, and you seem very well organized.

I think that you need to make another side for Sunday, or have the ingredients to throw something together.  There's always the possibility that there won't be sufficient left overs, or that something could happen to make them inedible.  You could try adding something like baked beans or baked penne, so that the leftovers could be frozen.  If you had a bag of romaine and some veggies you could throw a salad of whatever size you needed together quickly, also.   

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »
I'd cook all of the burgers a day ahead and then warm up the next day.  Since they're sliders I think you should serve a variety so that people can mix and match. 

Meatballs are always an easy choice.  I've also found that sweet potato fries tend to hold up better than regular fries when they get cold. 

California Dreamin

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »
What about cucumber salad and coleslaw the first day and potato salad for the second party? You could make it ahead of time. I think it is better the second day anyway.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:57:30 PM by California Dreamin »

sweetonsno

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:20 AM »
For a fun take on sliders, try making some of 'em stuffed.

For fun appies, you could build on your current chips and dip idea and have a dip bar. Basically, buy or make plain guacamole, tomato salsa, and hummus. Put out some plain sour cream, too. Have little ramekins with add-ins like pickled peppers, cilantro, hot sauce, olives, roasted garlic, minced onions, etc. People can make up their own little bowl of dip. (You can also put out crudités and crackers.)

This isn't quite standard barbecue fare, but college-aged students might enjoy some sushi.

For the barbecue sliders, it really depends on how big or small they are. If they're pretty small, you might be able to get away with browning the sliders and then simmering them in the sauce, kind of like you'd do meatballs. If they'll be bigger, I'd brush them with sauce before cooking, cook completely, and then just add it liberally when it comes time to serve them. These would be good topped with cheddar, cole slaw, and pineapple, of all things. I eat that on my barbecued tofu.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:40:05 AM »
I agree that I wouldn't count on leftover salads from the day before.  They may be gone, or mostly gone, or just not as good.  Maybe you could make a really big batch, and hold back half, or 1/4, or whatever?  I always find that potato salad and pasta salad improves after sitting over night.  And if you don't serve part of it the first day, you don't need to worry about food poisoning issues.

Have fun!  Sounds yummy :)
Not such a newbie anymore

bloo

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
My go-to for appetizers is bacon-wrapped jalapenos and teens, young adults and all others pretty much love them. I never bring home leftovers when I take them somewhere.

Cream cheese
Jalapenos (medium to large sized)
bacon (not thick-sliced)

Using gloves and a paring knife I cut them in half, making sure to remove all seeds and ribs (the part that is spicy). This makes the peppers very mild provided one doesn't eat the stem.

Once all peppers are cut, I slather somewhat softened cream cheese in them with a butter knife and level them off.

Then, using bacon that's been cut in half crosswise, I wrap each piece so that the ends are tucked underneath (cream cheese side up obviously) and bake on a broiling pan at anywhere from 375-400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

The downside: can be a little pricey figuring in cream cheese and bacon (if making a lot - get the large brick from Sam's Club).
Also, they can be a little time consuming. It's easy, but repetitive. I've made as little as 12 for me and DH and as many as 750 for a reception. Plan on binge-watching something on Netflix if you're closer to the 750 mark.  :) :)

The upside: delicious and even people that don't like really spicy things usually like them.
Once baked, they can be layered between parchment/wax paper on 'serve' or 'low' in a crockpot or roaster to keep warm.
Also, they can be frozen:
1) with just the peppers filled with cream cheese (to be wrapped with bacon later)
2) peppers filled, wrapped with bacon and frozen raw
3) filled, wrapped and par-baked or completely baked.
Just store between layers of waxed paper until frozen and then throw the peppers into freezer bags. Take out the number that you want to bake and eat!

So if you decided to make them, you could make them now and store them for later! Do wear gloves, though. Like, tightfitting, latex-type gloves. Loose, dishwashing gloves are too difficult to cut with and not wearing gloves can burn your hands if you do a lot.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »
Is there any chance that they would share the birthday? are any of their friends overlapping?

If both want the same menu, i would make the same menu. you can freeze yummy sliders (i do all the time)

for sides -
Baked oven fries (pototoes sliced lengthwise in quarters or eights, brushed with oil and spices) can be served reheated.
as PPs' said - potato salad, cucumber salad, cole slaw all keep. I also like mediterranean style spicy salads like cooked tomato salad, roast and chopped peppers, carrots etc. and they all keep well a few days in the fridge - let me know if you need recipes.
hummus, bean salad, corn salad - all great sides that are filling, cheap and colorful.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »

How about chicken wings with some kind of dipping sauce.
Deviled Eggs.
Cheese Sticks (can be brought frozen).
Maybe even a big pot of soup where they can help themselves (only if they are allowed inside the house).

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »

How about chicken wings with some kind of dipping sauce.
Deviled Eggs.
Cheese Sticks (can be brought frozen).
Maybe even a big pot of soup where they can help themselves (only if they are allowed inside the house).
oooh chicken wings! sounds great

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mikayla

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »
I'm someone who is convinced people of all ages like "make your own".  What if you simplified the sliders into jalapeno jack cheese, cheddar and no cheese, and then set out the condiments for them to do themselves?

If not, another fun option for this larger event is a baked potato bar (since you aren't doing fries).  It seems these are becoming popular, and for 15 people it's not a challenge to precook them and then heat up in the oven.  Then just set out butter, scallions, sour cream, bacon bits, shredded cheddar, ranch dressing, sloppy joe meat with red onions, broccoli, etc. 

That way, you could maybe just serve one salad and DD#1 could get fresh ones on her day. 

Bobbie

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »
Teriyaki chicken skewers.

Chicken breast meat (marinate in teriyaki sauce, make your own, I use Yoshida's)  cut into bit size, skewer on bamboo sticks (make sure you soak in water) alternate with green peppers, onions, pineapple, mushrooms and a cherry tomato on the end after cooking.  You can alternate the items and make ahead and start cooking when they arrive.  We do this for the fourth of July picnics.

For the sliders you can cook ahead and put then in a crockpot with au jus or beef broth to keep hot and moist.  Before serving throw then on the grill and serve.

Greek salad can be made ahead and my 21 year old DD loves it.  I used Ina Garden (the barefoot contessa) recipe and it can be made ahead, I double the recipe when I make it cause everyone takes some home.

SoCalVal

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
Your whole menu sounds yummy, but, I'm sorry to say, the crab-stuffed mushrooms sound out of place with the other items, which indicate more casual fare.  OTOH, DH and I had a "weird" array of appetizers at our wedding reception (I explained it on the menu page of our wedding website -- the chips/onion dip and gherkins were a tribute to DH's family's standard appetizers as one side would always have chips/onion dip and the other side would always have gherkins).

I think if you have different guests each party (except your immediate family), you could have the same menu each day (unless you and your family don't want to eat the same things at each party).