Author Topic: Please help me plan my parties . . . New Questions #21, THANK YOU #29  (Read 3172 times)

bloo

Re: Please help me plan my parties . . .
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »
I'm someone who is convinced people of all ages like "make your own".  What if you simplified the sliders into jalapeno jack cheese, cheddar and no cheese, and then set out the condiments for them to do themselves?

If not, another fun option for this larger event is a baked potato bar (since you aren't doing fries).  It seems these are becoming popular, and for 15 people it's not a challenge to precook them and then heat up in the oven.  Then just set out butter, scallions, sour cream, bacon bits, shredded cheddar, ranch dressing, sloppy joe meat with red onions, broccoli, etc. 

That way, you could maybe just serve one salad and DD#1 could get fresh ones on her day.

The potato bar is an excellent idea! I've done that several times when hosting and it's always been a hit.

As far as make-your-own, I'd prefer that for getting my own plate since I can be somewhat particular if given a choice, but I was invited to a potluck and offered to make chicken salad sandwiches. I made Butter-rich bread rolls (from scratch*) and split and stuffed them with homemade chicken salad. The organizer put them on her table already loaded with sandwich fixings and the sandwiches were gone in a heartbeat - I'm guessing because it was just simply easier to grab a ready-made sandwich than fix one.

* awesome recipe with white flour but oh-so-good with a cup or two of wheat flour and served with butter whipped w/ maple syrup or honey

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
I served this spread last Saturday and eveyone loved it. Just make sure to mix it up at least 4 hours ahead but the day before is good too. It sounds like it would be sweet but it's not.

Jalapeno Pineapple Dip.

1/4 cup* of the sweet/hot jalapeno slices chopped up finely
small can of crushed pineapple
8 oz of softened cream cheese
pinch of salt

Mix well and serve with Big Wheat Thins.
*I used a little more jalapenos because we like a little heat

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
Great suggestions, everybody! Thanks! ;D

Thinking out loud here --

I think that you need to make another side for Sunday

You're right and I agree with you. It seems like DD#1's menu is a little short-changed, doesn't it.

So, I am listening to what everybody said about the salads and I'm still going to do the potato salad for DD#2's party. That's a bbq standard. I always make plenty so the DDs can nosh on leftovers of that for lunch on Sunday.

Thanks, Mikayla, for saying that DD#1 should get a fresh salad on her day. There were a couple of excellent suggestions for salads for DD#1's party . . . I know she loves "different" salads, especially ones with a mediterranean flare.

Cicero -- would you please post your recipe for "I also like mediterranean style spicy salads like cooked tomato salad"

Bobbie -- I looked up Ina's Greek Salad and that sounds delicious. A definite possibility. Thanks!

Your whole menu sounds yummy, but, I'm sorry to say, the crab-stuffed mushrooms sound out of place with the other items, which indicate more casual fare.

Good point. I think the mushrooms would go better with DD#1's party anyway. Maybe an artichoke or spinach stuffed mushroom instead of crab with pork steaks? I can prepare these ahead of time and serve while the pork steaks are grilling. I should probably serve a fresh veggie tray with a dip and maybe crackers at the same time.

The guest list for DD#1's party is her room mate, the DDs and me. So I don't want to do over-kill with food. There's a possibility that maybe the DDs BFs will be joining us for dinner, but since it's Mother's Day plans are up in the air right now.

All of the people invited for DD#1's party will also be at DD#2's party so it's a good thought from you all that I should change things up and not serve leftovers.

Sorry, this is getting long, but writing this down helps me with my thought process. Thank you for your patience! :)

On to DD#2's party:

rose red -- Deviled eggs are DD#2's specialty. I know she'll be up to making a batch. Plus your idea of cheese sticks is a great thought (since I'm not doing the mushrooms) and will go very well with the sliders. I've put both of these on the menu. Thank you! ;D

Bobbie -- "Teriyaki chicken skewers." has great possibilities, but do you think these with the sliders will be too much of an entree type app?

bloo -- Oooooh Yeaaaah. "bacon-wrapped jalapenos"  ;D ;D ;D Thank you so much for posting your recipe. This is a must do!

For a fun take on sliders, try making some of 'em stuffed. I plan on mixing the ingredients in with the meat, like chopping the mushrooms and bacon, and cooking it all together. Is that the same as stuffed?

(snip)

This isn't quite standard barbecue fare, but college-aged students might enjoy some sushi. Another great thought. Wondering how well this will go with the rest of the meal, though.

For the barbecue sliders (snip) . . . I'm second thinking the bbq sliders. :-\ Maybe making them meatball Italian-style instead.

I LOVE e-hell! You all are the greatest! ;D

(Hmmmmm and bloo have replied while I was typing . . .)

sweetonsno

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 04:25:15 AM »

For a fun take on sliders, try making some of 'em stuffed. I plan on mixing the ingredients in with the meat, like chopping the mushrooms and bacon, and cooking it all together. Is that the same as stuffed?

(snip)

This isn't quite standard barbecue fare, but college-aged students might enjoy some sushi. Another great thought. Wondering how well this will go with the rest of the meal, though.

For the barbecue sliders (snip) . . . I'm second thinking the bbq sliders. :-\ Maybe making them meatball Italian-style instead.

The stuffed ones are wrapped around whatever would go on top. (Usually cheese.) It's all melty inside.

Sushi wouldn't really go with the rest of it unless you did something more fusion-y (or maybe just had it available while the other stuff was cooking).

Nikko-chan

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
What about bacon wrapped water chestnuts?

you'll need whole water chestnuts (2 cans per batch)
Thick cut bacon (1 lb per batch)
Ketchup (1 cup per batch)
Brown Sugar (1 cup per batch)
Toothpicks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit

Cut the bacon into thirds, and wrap a piece around each chestnut, securing with a toothpick. Line them up in a baking dish (I usually use glass)

Cook for thirty to forty five minutes or until almost done.

At around the 25 minute mark you can mix up the barbeque sauce so you have it ready. Pour the ketchup and the brown sugar into a bowl and mix together with a fork.

Dip the nearly cooked bacon chestnuts into the sauce and replace in dish, placing back into oven for another half hour.They should look gooey and the sauce should be thickened on them.

Cool them down a little (our group has a habit of burning their mouths and doing a reverse blow to cool off our mouths) and enjoy!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 08:24:31 AM »

Cicero -- would you please post your recipe for "I also like mediterranean style spicy salads like cooked tomato salad"

sure thing - i think i have posted in the past (and probably made a million changes) but here it is again http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=133327.0

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Please help me plan my parties . . . New Questions, #21
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
Hi! OP again, with a few additional questions ;)

The guest list has grown and now includes a vegetarian. I will have a couple of veggie burgers for her and I think I have enough vegetarian-friendly apps/salads to suffice.

I'm going to make Nikko-chan's bacon wrapped water chestnuts* and was wondering if I could bake a handful or so in a separate dish without the bacon but still using the sauce . . . would this be tasty enough for the vegetarian? Would there be a different cooking time since they are not wrapped in bacon? Thoughts?

I'll also do a few of the Teriyaki chicken skewers sans the chicken, but soaking the veggies in the Teriyaki sauce? Will that work?

Here are the biggest questions --

1. Since my oven will be free after all the apps are done cooking, I was thinking that I can serve the burgers fresh from the oven. With the caveat being that I start serving 4 pans, while another 2-3? pans are in the oven for 30 minutes. Is there a polite way to say to my guests "There's more in the oven, so you might want to pace yourselves?" Or would this be rude? The guest list is all family and friends, and it's a very casual gathering.

2. How many pans of sliders should I make? 1 pan being 2 lbs of beef, 12 patties each pan. We are up to 18 guests (not including the vegetarian) and there is the possibility of a few maybes.

The pans I plan on making are going to be the ground beef mixed with: Mushroom/Swiss, Cheddar/Bacon, Jalapeno/Jack, and plain. DD#2 said that I don't need to make a pan of plain.

I'm getting stuck on the math. If I figure 1 lb of meat per person that's 9 pans, but that also equals 6 sliders per person. 6 pans equals 4 sliders per person, which with everything else I'm serving sounds like plenty.

How many pans would you serve, and how would you mix them up? I don't have a problem with leftovers because burgers are easy to freeze.

Thoughts?

Tea Drinker

Re: Please help me plan my parties . . . New Questions, #21
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »
A pound of meat per person is a lot, since you're not feeding growing teens or a sports team. Given the amount of other food, I'd expect people to average 4 or 5 sliders each, since it sounds like the french fries, salads, and so on aren't "well, we have to have a vegetable," they're things your daughters actively want and you expect them and their friends to be eating.

Four/person is probably enough. If you make six sliders/person, you're protecting yourself, your daughters, and the guests from small disappointments. like someone having three of the mushroom sliders and then realizing all the jalapeño ones are gone. You're also more or less committing yourself to eating leftover sliders and/or salads for a bit: you might use up all of one kind of slider, but if you use up all the sliders it'll be because they're so good that everyone eats them instead of the salads and such.

I don't know what your budget is like, but making six sliders/person sounds like more work than four/person (though maybe not 50% more) and will take longer to cook.

Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
1 pound of meat is a LOT per person. In restaurants it's ~4oz of meat per slider or a quarter pound.  4 oz of meat PLUS the fillings is a decent sized slider.  you can do 6oz for the plain since there won't be any filling

I use an ice cream scoop to portion out sliders.  Mix up each flavor and then use a scoop about this size http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Medium-Cookie-Scoop

Oh I just had a thought! Are you assuming 4 sliders per person?  if so, then 1# per person makes sense

kudeebee

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 01:19:45 AM »
One pound of meat per person is a lot!  I would figure more 1/2 pound maximum per person.  Each slider sounds like it has a little under 3 oz of meat. So I would figure 3 per person.  That should be more than enough.  Especially with the sides and appetizers that you will be serving.

Oh Joy

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 07:36:37 AM »
The water chestnuts do need the salt of the bacon, but Google may have an interesting vege option.

For meat, a pound per person is a lot, but still may be the right amount.  I would do the surplus patties plain, knowing they'll freeze beautifully to be crumbled for future spaghetti sauce and such.

Dorrie78

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »
I would do a pan of plain sliders. There may be some people who don't want cheese on their sliders and all the other planned sliders have cheese mixed in. Plus, as mentioned above, plain sliders - even cooked ones - can be frozen if uneaten and used in tons of other recipes.

I can't imagine that a plain chestnut, even baked in sauce, would be very good. I don't think you need to provide a meat and meat-free version of every app - just make sure you have enough meat-free options overall and you will be fine.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 05:50:57 AM »
i'm thinking that for that age group, 3-4 sliders is more than enough (especially with additional sides). If you have room in your oven, start with one tray of each and then put the rest in while they are eating. No need to say "pace yourselves" just "there's plenty of more of everything coming soon". To make life easier for you, i would still cook them in advance and just reheat the day of.

the water chestnut idea i would nix. the teriyaki veggies is fine, and from my experience not only vegetarians eat these. vegetables that work well are squash/zuchini, onion slices (with toothpicks or on skewers to hold them together), peppers. The vegetables stay a bit crunchy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sweetonsno

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 03:12:20 AM »
One pound of meat is way too much! I don't think you need more than half a pound... some may eat more, but some will certainly eat fewer.

For the vegetarian, I have a couple of thoughts:
1. Teriyaki-marinated veggie skewers would probably be a hit. And yes, others will probably want to eat them as well, so go ahead and make a lot. The veggies make good leftovers, too. (Cold or hot.)
2. It's nice of you to think of the vegetarian with the water chestnuts, but I'm not sure how they'd be. While I'd certainly appreciate the extra effort, I definitely don't think it's necessary. It sounds like you have plenty of vegetarian options available for him/her already. If you really want to try it, go for it. You will probably have a much shorter cooking time because you don't need the bacon to cook and because the bacon won't be protecting the water chestnut from the heat. You could try it with veggie bacon, but if you do, be sure to brush it with lots of oil. Veggie bacon is pretty much always low-fat.
3. Some veggie burgers will survive being thawed, kneaded, and re-shaped, so if you want to make some mini veggie versions, you could. (I think Gardein makes veggie burgers that are already in slider form as well, but the brand isn't available everywhere.)

Sounds like a great shindig!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
I want to thank you all so much for your help in planning a very successful party. Even though I do 2-3 parties like this per year, I've found that each time I post before a party your thoughts, recipes and encouragement ;) are an extremely valuable resource.

I spent a good 7 hours preparing the day before so everything was ready to just toss in the oven or put on the table.

I ended up making 6 pans (one of each flavor, then 1/2 a pan each flavor) using 10 lbs ground beef which was perfect. I had 1 and 1/4 pan leftover. I did cook them (in two batches) the day of just before serving, I figured cook them fresh vs. warming is going to take the same amount of time in the oven.

Nikko-chan -- The water chestnuts were a huge hit! I used 3 cans and could easily have made more. They were gone. Even the vegetarian ate two. :o  She confessed that bacon is her downfall and they looked and smelled so good she couldn't pass them up! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Bobbie -- Chicken teriyaki skewers . . . another huge hit! Even though I did them sans-skewers ::) It was about 8:30 p.m. the night before and all I had left to do was assemble the skewers. The veggies were chopped, the chicken was marinating but I was worn out! So the next day I just threw everything in a pan and cooked it that way. One guest mention "Thanks for not putting this on skewers, it's so much easier to eat this way!"

Hmmmmm -- jalapeno pineapple dip . . . very easy to make (I used pre-chopped canned jalapeno's) and quite delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

bloo -- I didn't make the bacon wrapped jalapenos because I thought I was getting to heavy with the bacon/jalapeno theme. But I will keep this in mind for future parties. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe, thanks for posting it!

All in all a huge success.

On to tonights dinner (DD#1's bday) . . . not so much work, only 4 guests, and the DDs will be in the kitchen with me today so it will be fun. We're having pork steaks, artichoke/spinach stuffed mushrooms, Ina's greek salad (thanks, Bobbie ;)) and home made french fries.

Now all I have to do is get somebody to finish cleaning the kitchen. Do you think I can pull my Mother's Day card for this? 8)