Author Topic: I know someone who would be great for you!  (Read 4121 times)

Octavia

Re: I know someone who would be great for you!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
No thanks, I've become the man I used to want to marry!   ;)
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

diesel_darlin

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 02:06:45 AM »
When I was in my early 30's, I was quite anxious to find someone. I didn't. (Apart from some dating arrangements that would last 2-5 years and fade out).

Amazingly enough, the world didn't come to an end. I am here and liking my life the way it is and if someone came along, great, but I'm not agonizing about it.

But as my anxiety about "finding someone" faded out, the "Why don't you try on-line dating? Haven't you met any nice men in that (social group) of yours yet?" questions became even more annoying.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
EXACTLY. And with one failed marriage behind me, the questions keep getting more and more invasive and irritating.

spookycatlady

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »
I'm recently separated and the offers have already started.  I've only *just* started wearing mascara on a regular basis again (being mostly confident that I can leave the house without crying.)

For the close friend, I said "Is he looking for a hot mess that cries during sitcoms?  How about someone who is self medicating with pastry?  So not ready."

For the acquaintence, "I'm not ready to date."  And it became cut and paste.  After the 3rd attempt, I said, "I'm not ready.  Stop offering.  Please and thank you."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies! This person is a "her", and she is quite the busy body. The thing is, I just flat out don't trust anyone to set me up! I have in the past, and it's like people have dug up the worst possible people to be my potential "suitors". All your replies have been wonderful and I will apply some of each of them!  ;D

It does so often seem like this particular type of busy-body's only qualification for potential dates for others is that, possibly, the guy (or more rarely, the girl) is single!  Sometimes they don't even check that part out very well...

I see you've met my mom's BFF, aka my second mom. She's tried that a couple of times, one was a disaster, the other, well, her daughter helped me weasel out!  I've told my mom I think she thinks of me as her third daughter she needs to marry off!

One Easter, when my folks and I were at their house, she just happened to mention that the son of a friend was home for Easter, and perhaps after we ate her one daughter and I could "take a walk over" so I could meet him!!!! Don't know if his mom was in on the plot, if he even had a clue, and knew absolutely nothing about him, aside from the fact both he and I were single. I don't know, maybe he prefers men to women, maybe he's dating someone, or maybe he's simply not interested. for whatever reason.

Thankfully, her daughter felt my pain, and we managed to divert her attention elsewhere.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »
Finding a boyfriend is like choosing lingerie - we'd all prefer to do it ourselves .

I'm stealing this

As am I.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
Finding a boyfriend is like choosing lingerie - we'd all prefer to do it ourselves .

I'm stealing this

As am I.

Of course, when you DO want help, suddenly the people you know don't know anybody...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

z_squared82

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »

Of course, when you DO want help, suddenly the people you know don't know anybody...

Yeah...this is my problem. In my 30s, looking, and no one I know knows any single men my age. That's the problem in my area when you don't marry your high school (or college) sweetheart.

But still, if you aren't looking, Thanks but no thanks, should be good enough. People who harp on the issue are kind of awful.

daen

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »

Yeah...this is my problem. In my 30s, looking, and no one I know knows any single men my age. That's the problem in my area when you don't marry your high school (or college) sweetheart.

But still, if you aren't looking, Thanks but no thanks, should be good enough. People who harp on the issue are kind of awful.

That was  sort of my issue, too. I never met any single men my age in my area. I told people I was open to being set up, but no one ever did. So then I went online, and met my now-husband.   We later discovered that we had three or four friends in common, none of whom ever thought to introduce us. 

(Granted, at the time one of these friends was in regular contact with both of us, I was fourteen and my now-husband was twenty, so it would have been a bit early).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »
Yup. At age 48, many of my "local" friends are anywhere from 7-10 years younger than me, and either married or don't know any one who's single. that would be suitable.  So if I ever want to explore that avenue, its going to be online.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »

... We later discovered that we had three or four friends in common, none of whom ever thought to introduce us. 

When The Sweetie and I started dating, many of our friends said, "Wow - we never would have thought of putting the two of you together. But y'know - it works."
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Texas Mom

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »
DD got a call from a married friend Suzy, (wife of former co-worker Joe) a couple of weeks ago.  Suzy has tried for several years to find a quality guy for DD, but things have never worked out, due to time and distance considerations.

Suzy excitedly told her about a young man who would be "perfect" for her.  He is friends with another former co-worker Sam, and works at the college where DD is going to grad school.   Then she described him.

DD said she ROFL!   Suzy asked what was so funny!  She told her she's known Mr. Perfect for 9 years & they're talking about seeing where things go once she gets to GradSchool.

Suzy was thrilled that she got one (potentially) right!

diesel_darlin

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
Fingers crossed for your DD! Way to go Suzy!  ;)