Author Topic: I know someone who would be great for you!  (Read 4409 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: I know someone who would be great for you!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies! This person is a "her", and she is quite the busy body. The thing is, I just flat out don't trust anyone to set me up! I have in the past, and it's like people have dug up the worst possible people to be my potential "suitors". All your replies have been wonderful and I will apply some of each of them!  ;D

greencat

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies! This person is a "her", and she is quite the busy body. The thing is, I just flat out don't trust anyone to set me up! I have in the past, and it's like people have dug up the worst possible people to be my potential "suitors". All your replies have been wonderful and I will apply some of each of them!  ;D

It does so often seem like this particular type of busy-body's only qualification for potential dates for others is that, possibly, the guy (or more rarely, the girl) is single!  Sometimes they don't even check that part out very well...

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »
A pulse also seems to be an instant qualification.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:03:14 PM by veronaz »

chibichan

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
Deflect her with a smile and a few snappy comebacks . Let her know that you have no intention of taking her seriously .

Thank you , but I'm currently in a long term committed rel@tionship with chocolate .

When I had a cat : My cat and I have an agreement . I don't date - he doesn't pee in my shoes while I'm sleeping.

In response to

"We need to find you a man ." : Just find me his wallet . That's the only part I really want right now .

"You should have a boyfriend ." : And you should have a puppy! I'll bring a few to your house this evening for you to choose from . What time is good for you ?

My dear lady , only my mother is allowed to intrude that far into my personal life and even she only has a 25% success rate .

As for the statement in the title of the post -

"I know someone who would be great for you! " : I already have my eye on someone - Okay , it's Johnny Depp , but as soon as he dumps that Amber woman , he's all mine . And believe me , I'll wait until he comes to his senses .

Finding a boyfriend is like choosing lingerie - we'd all prefer to do it ourselves .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

veronaz

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
My cat and I have an agreement . I don't date - he doesn't pee in my shoes while I'm sleeping.

;D  ;D

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
Finding a boyfriend is like choosing lingerie - we'd all prefer to do it ourselves .

I'm stealing this

diesel_darlin

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 09:05:20 PM »
Lol veronaz I tell people all the time that I'm in a relationship with 2 cats! Chibichan, eating Chinese food is dangerous while reading yours and veronaz posts!  :P

I've been set up with convicted felons, drug addicts, and guys who don't believe in proper dental or body hygiene.  I'm just flat out leery.

veronaz

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »
I've been set up with convicted felons, drug addicts, and guys who don't believe in proper dental or body hygiene. 

I also try to steer clear of men who:
- don't believe in staying employed for more than 3 months at a time
- have been in transition for years.....living with mom/dad/sister/auntie
- are anxious to take me to their church and save me from myself
- kinda lied about not being married
- haven't had a bank account in years because they 'haven't had time' to open one

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:25:13 PM by veronaz »

aussie_chick

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 09:47:10 PM »
I agree with others. A bright smile and "thank you for thinking of me however i'm not interested" is all you need to say.

I used to have a friend who was fixated with finding me a man. We would go to the local pub together for a drink and she knew everyone (her town not mine) and would try and thrust me together with a guy. The trouble was she picked the worst of the worst every time. I had no idea what she was trying to insinuate!

The last time we went out to the pub, she tried to force me to talk to a guy at the bar next to us. He had vomit down his shirt, his fly was open, shoe laces undone, and very very stinky!

I asked friend if she thought that was what I was worth and all she could say was that I was a snob. We're not friends anymore...

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 12:43:30 AM »

I asked friend if she thought that was what I was worth and all she could say was that I was a snob. We're not friends anymore...

And yet, if you asked her if SHE would fancy dating a man who'd puked on himself and stank to high heaven, I wonder what she'd say...?

On topic, OP, I think you're fine in saying "He may indeed be great for me, but I'm not in the frame of mind to date right now, and I assure you that currently, I would not be 'great' for him."

diesel_darlin

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
Aussie_chick, did your friend move to America?  ;D

I'm interested in finding someone new, just on my terms, not anyone else's. I tend to find out what my friends seem to really think of me when I see what they want to hook me up with.

HorseFreak

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
I'm facing this at work, though I have never been married and I'm in my early 30's. My coworkers seem to think pulse + vaguely interested + likes animals = true wuv!!! They also like suggesting setting me up with someone they go to church with (I'm not religious) and are involved in other pastimes common in the South that I do not find attractive in the least as a Northerner here for the weather.

In response to my statement that there will be no encouraging a client who's getting flirty I was told my eggs are drying up and I should give him a chance. The whole thing is just so patronizing it makes me rather angry. Not to mention I've been loosely involved with someone for 3.5 years now.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:15 AM »
I'm in my early 30's too. I feel your pain on the eggs drying up comments.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
Most annoying one was when a colleague said that her grandson had just graduated college and landed a job. Another colleague shot me a look and said my name- the implication, of course, was that I could date this young man. After all, I was single. If the young man resembled his grandmother, he would be the total opposite of my type (avoiding specifics here).

Also, being told "aren't opposites supposed to attract?" when the person either lacks something I seek for in a mate and I do have, or person is totally overall into things I have zero interest in.

Just say "no thanks- not at this time"- especially if the person is pushy.
I have pet mice!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »
I'm facing this at work, though I have never been married and I'm in my early 30's. My coworkers seem to think pulse + vaguely interested + likes animals = true wuv!!! They also like suggesting setting me up with someone they go to church with (I'm not religious) and are involved in other pastimes common in the South that I do not find attractive in the least as a Northerner here for the weather.

In response to my statement that there will be no encouraging a client who's getting flirty I was told my eggs are drying up and I should give him a chance. The whole thing is just so patronizing it makes me rather angry. Not to mention I've been loosely involved with someone for 3.5 years now.

Ah, the "you're running out of time and can't afford to be choosy" argument.  Also known as, he's got a pulse, what's your problem.