Author Topic: Food ideas?  (Read 2093 times)

Bottlecaps

Food ideas?
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:28:48 AM »
Our wedding is taking place at 2:00 PM, with our reception geared to start at either 3:30 or 4:00 PM. (We still have yet to decide.) We're planning on doing an appetizer reception. I know the usuals - finger/tea sandwiches, veggie trays, meat trays, fruit trays, pinwheels, meatballs, miniature sausages, etc., but what are some other creative food options? We're on a budget but we still want to give our guests a decent, light meal. I'm doing the food DIY with the help of my family and a few friends, so that's why I've decided to go with this option, since if we do mostly appetizers, then it's mostly assembly more than it is cooking.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true appetizer ideas/recipes that are pretty easy to put together? I'd prefer cold appetizers since it's easier to keep things cold (in my experience) than to keep them hot, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. :) (I'm also open to crockpot appetizers, since between me and my family, we probably have about a dozen crockpots, haha.)

Thanks! :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Food ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 01:59:21 AM »
How many people and when is the wedding? 

Bottlecaps

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »
It will be 75 people, 80 tops and it's in August.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
Ok I've got my thinking cap on...

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:52:22 PM »
Caprese skewers (tomato, basil, mozarella) are always popular.

For a meat, I highly recommend this seared beef tenderloin from epicurious. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Seared-Beef-Tenderloin-with-Mustard-Horseradish-Sauce-102627

You can do everything ahead of time. Then you plate the thin slices on trays, and serve with sliced baquets or rolls and the mustard horseradish sauce. I've probably made it 10 times over the last 12 years and there is never a slice left.

Alton Brown has this recipe that sounds odd but is very good. It's a savory cheesecake with smoked trout, but I've made it with smoked salmon to. The crust is made with bagel chips and I usually serve it with bagel chips and some crackers. And it can be made a day or two ahead of time.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/savory-cheesecake-recipe.html

Good luck and have fun.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
various skewers or kabobs: chicken, beef, veggie with teriyaki or satay sauce
Different flavored chicken wings. You can bake them rather than fry them
bacon wrapped potatoes
Pasta salad

The beef tenderloin idea is a good one.  You can also do pork and chicken as well

Bottlecaps

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:06:14 AM »
Thanks everyone! :)

Also, if anyone has any vegan ideas (or vegan alternatives to traditional reception fare), please feel free to throw them out there as well. At least one person I'm inviting is a strict vegan, and I think it would be pretty crappy hosting to say the least, provided she is able to make it, for her to fly 2,000 miles to eat lettuce!  :P

katycoo

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 02:00:03 AM »
Chinese boxes of salads - caesar or cold rice salads come to mind.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 03:50:38 AM »
Vegan apps:

I don't know if you can get Linda McCartney products where you are, but they do vegan friendly sausages (some other brands use egg or dairy derivatives). They do sausage rolls as well, which have always gone down well whenever I have served them.

Felafels are usually suitable for vegans (they are chickpea based and are quite useful for adding protein I've always thought of them as vegan meatballs!)

Garlic mushrooms are quite popular too- make the garlic butter with non-dairy margarine and then add to the mushrooms and bake. These are only suitable if you are providing forks as they are too messy for finger food.

Look at some of your other recipes- can you sub non-dairy margarine for butter and make them vegan? Some of your sandwiches might be suitable for your friend with some minor subs.

The only other tip I would give is to make sure there is no hidden meat or dairy- even if you just put a meat garnish or sprinkle over a bit of grated cheese it will signal to your friend that it is unsuitable. Also. if it is just one friend, give her a quick guided tour of the buffet so she knows what's what.

Supplies can be found at either health food shops, in the "Free From" section of supermarkets, and kosher food stores- although remember that dairy free kosher food may contain other non-vegan items such as eggs and honey- nevertheless they will often stock food suitable for vegans.

Lastly, make sure you read the labels on any food items carefully. Dairy can come in in various forms such as whey, lactose etc. Eggs can be added to vegetarian food as a binder. Refined sugar may not be suitable in some countries due to differing processes in manufacturing. Check out with your local vegan society.
NE England

lowspark

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »
My go-to vegan appetizer is guacamole because it's naturally vegan and delicious.
Another idea for something different is banana chips with chimichurri sauce. Here's a typical recipe for the sauce.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/28393-argentine-chimichurri-sauce

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
Are you only looking for finger foods? I have a great vegan recipe called Pebble Salad which consists of rice, corn, sunflower seeds, etc. that I can post if you want.

Another popular vegan dip is hummus, served with pita chips or cut up pita bread.
You can also do a sort of relish tray (or combine with raw veggie tray) that includes olives, pickles, miniature corns, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm. No cooking involved, just lay them out in a pretty dish.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:11:50 AM by lowspark »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
This has some great ideas.
http://www.marthastewart.com/856365/vegan-appetizer-recipes/@center/852566/vegetarian-recipes#338610

The ones I've made are the roasted red pepper dip,the summer rolls, the White Bean and Caper dip, a the egg plant dip and the roasted red pepper with capers bruschetta.

Actually, I could do a whole selection of these alone after looking at them.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
Are you only looking for finger foods? I have a great vegan recipe called Pebble Salad which consists of rice, corn, sunflower seeds, etc. that I can post if you want.

Another popular vegan dip is hummus, served with pita chips or cut up pita bread.
You can also do a sort of relish tray (or combine with raw veggie tray) that includes olives, pickles, miniature corns, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm. No cooking involved, just lay them out in a pretty dish.

I'd love to get the recipe! :)

Thank you to everyone for all your wonderful ideas! :)

lowspark

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »
One more general tip- check out any local ethnic food stores- you can get some really interesting foods, at reasonable prices.
NE England