Wedding Bliss and Blues > Receptions

Food ideas?

(1/5) > >>

Bottlecaps:
Our wedding is taking place at 2:00 PM, with our reception geared to start at either 3:30 or 4:00 PM. (We still have yet to decide.) We're planning on doing an appetizer reception. I know the usuals - finger/tea sandwiches, veggie trays, meat trays, fruit trays, pinwheels, meatballs, miniature sausages, etc., but what are some other creative food options? We're on a budget but we still want to give our guests a decent, light meal. I'm doing the food DIY with the help of my family and a few friends, so that's why I've decided to go with this option, since if we do mostly appetizers, then it's mostly assembly more than it is cooking.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true appetizer ideas/recipes that are pretty easy to put together? I'd prefer cold appetizers since it's easier to keep things cold (in my experience) than to keep them hot, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. :) (I'm also open to crockpot appetizers, since between me and my family, we probably have about a dozen crockpots, haha.)

Thanks! :)

PastryGoddess:
How many people and when is the wedding? 

Bottlecaps:
It will be 75 people, 80 tops and it's in August.

PastryGoddess:
Ok I've got my thinking cap on...

Hmmmmm:
Caprese skewers (tomato, basil, mozarella) are always popular.

For a meat, I highly recommend this seared beef tenderloin from epicurious. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Seared-Beef-Tenderloin-with-Mustard-Horseradish-Sauce-102627

You can do everything ahead of time. Then you plate the thin slices on trays, and serve with sliced baquets or rolls and the mustard horseradish sauce. I've probably made it 10 times over the last 12 years and there is never a slice left.

Alton Brown has this recipe that sounds odd but is very good. It's a savory cheesecake with smoked trout, but I've made it with smoked salmon to. The crust is made with bagel chips and I usually serve it with bagel chips and some crackers. And it can be made a day or two ahead of time.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/savory-cheesecake-recipe.html

Good luck and have fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version