Author Topic: by request - spicy cooked tomato salad ("Matbucha")  (Read 401 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
by request - spicy cooked tomato salad ("Matbucha")
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
I usually make this once a week - it's easy and keeps for about a week in the fridge. can be used as a spread on bread, a condiment on burgers, or mixed with couscous or rice. there are millions of recipes - with peppers or without, with olive oil or canola oil, with parsley and/or coriander or not. THis is my take on the recipe - feel free to change as you like - you can add more or less hot peppers and garlic, omit the cumin if you don't like it , etc.

1 sweet bell peppers (optional - i don't use pepper because i don't like them) roasted, peeled and chopped
1-2 fresh hot peppers (like jalapeno) (use disposable gloves when handling)
1 large canned crushed or diced tomatoes (or use 10 large very ripe tomates, peeled and chopped)
2 cloves garlic, put through a press
pinch sugar (optional - but a good idea to use a pinch when using the canned tomatoes)
1/2 tsp salt
large pinch ground cumin
chopped fresh parsley and/or coriander (about 10 stems)
about 3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil

pour oil into shallow pan with cover. add peppers and garlic, bring to a medium heat, and stir for a few minutes (watch carefully so it doesn't burn). lower flame and add remaining ingredients, cover pan and cook for about 40 minutes, stirring ocassionally. remove cover, raise heat and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. you may need to add a little more oil as it cooks down. Resulting mixture should be a beautiful deep red. serve cold or at room temp.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: by request - spicy cooked tomato salad ("Matbucha")
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:05:58 PM »
That sounds really tasty! Thanks for posting. ;D

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: by request - spicy cooked tomato salad ("Matbucha")
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:41 AM »
enjoy!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools