Author Topic: wording to get out of ewwww moment?  (Read 5197 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: wording to get out of ewwww moment?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 12:52:50 PM »
You could always say, "Oh, I've found that used shoes don't work for me."

Or you could say, "I'll try them on when I get them home. If they don't fit, can I give them to the women's shelter in my area?"

That would work for any situation--icky shoes, or even if you just don't want to interrupt the flow of the get-together by stopping to try on clothes.

Snooks

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
I thought of this thread this morning when I went past a house with 3 pairs of shoes on the windowsill and a sign saying "Free shoes, size 4". So your friend isn't the only person who thinks people want other people's used shoes.

Jocelyn

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »
Sad to say, there ARE people who will take used shoes, because they can't afford new ones.

My suggestion for this situation? 'I walk sort of lopsided, so I have to be careful about the shoes I wear. I definitely can't wear shoes that have been broken in to someone else's feet.' Because it's true. I have to try on upwards of 6 pairs of shoes for every pair I can find that fits the way I walk.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 02:50:28 PM »
I'd take used shoes, it really doesn't bother me. Especially for kids since they grow out of them so quickly. Just open them up and set them in the sun for a few hours. So there are some people who would purchase shoes from a thrift store, consignment sale, or take them from a friend who aren't destitute, just thrifty. Lots of shoes at those places arent worn out at all, just gently used, especially dressy shoes.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »
I'd take used shoes, it really doesn't bother me. Especially for kids since they grow out of them so quickly. Just open them up and set them in the sun for a few hours. So there are some people who would purchase shoes from a thrift store, consignment sale, or take them from a friend who aren't destitute, just thrifty. Lots of shoes at those places arent worn out at all, just gently used, especially dressy shoes.

I think the problem in the OP was that they were *extremely* worn rather than gently used.  It's generally not recommended to wear other people's shoes like that, especially if one person supinates and the other pronates (or there are other wear pattern differences)

Lynda_34

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
You can actually put shoes in the washing machine and let them run through a cycle.  I do this with sneakers and my good leather work shoes.  i let them air dry.  They get clean this way and gets rid of the ick factor.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
You can actually put shoes in the washing machine and let them run through a cycle.  I do this with sneakers and my good leather work shoes.  i let them air dry.  They get clean this way and gets rid of the ick factor.

Doesn't get rid of the wear and tear, though.

Lynda_34

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »

Doesn't get rid of the wear and tear, though.
You're right but my favorite pair of work shoes I paid $11 for in a consignment shop and if I could find any more like the I'd buy them too.  Everything has to be on a case by case basis.