General Etiquette > Family and Children

Out-of-state relative sending me weather reports for my area UPDATED #14 and #44

(1/15) > >>

JustEstelle:
I'm not sure how to handle this best and remain polite.  My DH's younger sister lives on the west coast; we live in Texas.  SIL keeps tabs on weather forecasts via The Weather Channel and she will post links to my facebook wall any time there is a severe threat anywhere in Texas, even if the threat is half a state away from us.  I know she means well, but it's starting to get a bit annoying.  I/we keep tabs on the weather forecast here through apps on our phones.  That, or we actually watch the local network affiliates to get updated information when it's needed.  It almost feels to me that SIL is being a mother hen toward us when she sends me this information - that she doesn't think we're keeping up with what's going on around us.

So far, I haven't said anything to her, except to respond that the severe weather threat she just sent me is for an area far away from us and that we probably won't see any bad weather from it.  I wish there was some way that I could get her to stop sending me these links, but I honestly can't think of a way to do so that wouldn't result in hurt feelings.  After all, she's concerned about us and I do appreciate that.  But we get more accurate information for our area through our local news/weather than what she's sending me, and it's starting to become bothersome.

Is there anything I can say that wouldn't cause hurt feelings?  Or is this just something that I need to put up with because "that's just how she is"?

cicero:
does she actually post them to your wall, or does she just post them to her wall (and you get a notification about it)?

Is there a reason why you just don't ask her why she is doing this or ask her to stop?

Or "Jane, I keep getting these notifications from you. Are you sending them to me or is it some automatic widget? oh, you're sending them? That's so sweet, but really unnecessary and it really clogs up my inbox. Mr JustEstelle and I have this app on our phones and computers that sends us immediate and accurate updates - so please stop sending those.Thanks! how are the bean dip kids of yours doing, anyway?"

JustEstelle:
She posts them directly to my wall.  I guess that's part of why this bothers me.

StarDrifter:
Jump into your privacy settings and make it so that nobody can post anything to your wall without your permission (Or tag you in anything without your approval) and then you'll get a notification that she wants to put something up and you can just click on 'no' so that it doesn't post.

I've had to do that with my mother when she kept on tagging me in and posting parenting advice on my wall - it's worked well, because I publish like one a month and that keeps her happy.

m2kbug:
I would just ignore it or change my settings so I no longer see their posts, which will only work if you never want to see any of their posts at all.  If this weather thing is coming from some FB app, I think you can go to the right hand corner and click on "never show anything from this app again" or something like that.  I don't spend a lot of time on FB, so I'm not really sure, but I think you can totally block certain groups and links.

Either ignore the annoyance or ask her to please stop.  There is no way to get around hurting her feelings.  "Thank you for trying to alert us on weather warnings, but would you please stop posting them on my Wall?  I have an app on my phone already." 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version