Author Topic: Out-of-state relative sending me weather reports for my area UPDATED #14  (Read 7365 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
I understand how you feel.  My grandmother does that.  In her case it is because she has a complex about the weather being better here than there.  BTW, I live in Texas too.  Although, she at least warns about the immediate area.  But she will call to warn me about a thunderstorm.  Hellllooooo, rain is a good thing. 

Mikayla

Re: Out-of-state relative sending me weather reports for my area
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »

And I was with a friend out for a movie and drinks in Dallas when Hurricane Ike in Houston.  Her friend from Connecticut called to see if we were in a storm shelter.  She responded we were in a fabulous one called Gloria's that was serving mojitos ;) We got rain that day but if a hurricane hits Dallas, we've all got bigger issues :)

I've been reading this thread with interest, because I've been doing the same thing - peppering my family in Dallas with dire warnings.  With us, though, it's all humor, because I'm such a weather geek that they just point and laugh at me.   

I had sent them an article I saw on Yahoo last Thursday with all sorts of alarmist language about this weekend.  This morning I got a text from my sis in Dallas:  "So...about those F5's you predicted in my back yard?  We'll be lucky to get a sprinkle.  Nostradamus you aren't".  I cracked up.   

Anyway, OP, I think you did the right thing in handling this quietly and discreetly.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Sounds like a good approach.

I've gotten this in the past with friends. I live in Southern California so we have wild fires and earthquakes. Most of which happen nowhere near my home.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I have had relatives do the are you ok thing. We basically told them that unless the major city mentioned was Houston we were in the clear. Works for everything but hurricanes. Apparently at the international level anything heading between Brownsville and New Orleans is headed for Houston, even if we are well out of the cone.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MurPl1

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »

And I was with a friend out for a movie and drinks in Dallas when Hurricane Ike in Houston.  Her friend from Connecticut called to see if we were in a storm shelter.  She responded we were in a fabulous one called Gloria's that was serving mojitos ;) We got rain that day but if a hurricane hits Dallas, we've all got bigger issues :)

I've been reading this thread with interest, because I've been doing the same thing - peppering my family in Dallas with dire warnings.  With us, though, it's all humor, because I'm such a weather geek that they just point and laugh at me.   

I had sent them an article I saw on Yahoo last Thursday with all sorts of alarmist language about this weekend.  This morning I got a text from my sis in Dallas:  "So...about those F5's you predicted in my back yard?  We'll be lucky to get a sprinkle.  Nostradamus you aren't".  I cracked up.   

Anyway, OP, I think you did the right thing in handling this quietly and discreetly.

Yep, I got 15 minutes of heavy rain and two thunderclaps on the northeast side of Dallas.  I was grateful for the rain and no tornadoes though :)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
I get the same thing except my relatives have my area saved in their weather apps. What happens is, anytime there's severe weather in my area their app alerts them and then I start getting texts - "Are you guys okay?", "I'm praying for you!", "Do you have emergency supplies?" Etc. I finally told them that the alerts cover a wide area that usually doesn't include me, and for more accurate forecasts they can go to the local news station's website (gave them the link) to see the maps that show exactly where the storms are heading, and how to compare that to where we are (see the box that surrounds Big City? That's my county and I'm at the very Direction edge of the county line). I did this with a tone of "I feel bad that you worry about me so here's a way to get more accurate info". The texts have slowed way down.  :)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Sounds like a good approach.

I've gotten this in the past with friends. I live in Southern California so we have wild fires and earthquakes. Most of which happen nowhere near my home.

But California can't be very big, right?

;)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JustEstelle

Well, as it turns out, I'm not the only one SIL does this to.  She has a friend who lives in OK, and she sends that person weather updates too.  So far, she hasn't asked me yet why she can't post to my wall, and I'm not going to bring it up.  If she happens to ask, I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it. 

We are near Dallas too.  Well, by "near," we are within a 100-mile radius.  Our county was under a severe thunderstorm warning this afternoon, but the storm passed well to our north.  We didn't even get spit on from it.  I understand, however, that the storm did intensify and get pretty gnarly as it moved into east Texas though.

Mikayla

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »

Yep, I got 15 minutes of heavy rain and two thunderclaps on the northeast side of Dallas.  I was grateful for the rain and no tornadoes though :)

That's exactly where they're located!  (Lake Highlands).  I hadn't heard about the heavy rain, though. 

MurPl1

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

That's exactly where they're located!  (Lake Highlands).  I hadn't heard about the heavy rain, though.

It's entirely likely they didn't even get that.  I was at a stoplight once during a drought year when we got some rain.  And it was raining on my side of the intersection, and not on the other side (where my house was).  Like a wall.

weeblewobble

I have inlaws who call me every time there's bad weather.  It's very stressful as the last thing I want to do when I'm trying to get the kids and our supplies into the storm shelter is deal with a ringing phone.  I finally told them that we have all of the same weather alert systems that they do, we are just as aware of problem weather as they are and when they call, they are delaying me putting their grandchildren in a safe place.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
I'd reply with "lol. You're so funny. That weather report is a half state away! Lol".

Might make the point.

Otherwise, I'd just say "thanks but we keep updated on the weather in our area so no need to warn us about weather half a state away."
Might have more impact if the OP gave it in miles.  "Oh, Jane, that's 500 miles away from us!"   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

catbug

I have a similar situation. I worked in the UK for 3 years and now everytime some natural disaster happens in Australia I get a flood of messages asking if I'm ok. The most notable situation was in 2009 just after the Black Saturday bushfires. So many people wanted to know if I was ok that I had to post on Facebook saying that I was fine. There were no fires near me, but if anyone had a boat handy I would appreciate it. At the time of the fires in Victoria we were experiencing flooding up here in Queensland. I also explained to one friend that asking me about the fires was like me hearing about a storm in Germany and asking if he was ok in England. Not exactly accurate as the distance to the fires was twice that but my friend did get the point. Just for interest I am talking about a distance of over 2000 kms.

The Wild One, Forever

I have a similar situation. I worked in the UK for 3 years and now everytime some natural disaster happens in Australia I get a flood of messages asking if I'm ok. The most notable situation was in 2009 just after the Black Saturday bushfires. So many people wanted to know if I was ok that I had to post on Facebook saying that I was fine. There were no fires near me, but if anyone had a boat handy I would appreciate it. At the time of the fires in Victoria we were experiencing flooding up here in Queensland. I also explained to one friend that asking me about the fires was like me hearing about a storm in Germany and asking if he was ok in England. Not exactly accurate as the distance to the fires was twice that but my friend did get the point. Just for interest I am talking about a distance of over 2000 kms.

I just love this response so much!
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

scarlett

The best one was when I lived in New Zealand and the Icelandic volcano erupted cancelling all the flight. I kept getting FB messages asking if I was alright and if I was affected from a friend. I finally had to point out that due to geography I was nowhere near Iceland and thus not in any danger.