Author Topic: Out-of-state relative sending me weather reports for my area UPDATED #14 and #44  (Read 11886 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
MIL worries about us.  When Superstorm Sandy was coming in she even mailed us a list of items we should have in our 'Go Bags'. 

It was thoughtful but we were already in London by the time she sent the list. 

MurPl1

Wow!  Y'all really did evacuate! :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Actually, we were scheduled to fly out on the day Sandy hit.  We just flew out a few days early. 

Hey, a few extra days in London is never a hardship. 

darling

It was thoughtful but we were already in London by the time she sent the list.

I shouldn't laugh... but I'm laughing.  ;D

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
For an opposite of this, I WAS in a tornado, one that got written about later in Reader's Digest when I was in college, in my own apartment.  It was bad.

Once everything settled down, I called home, over an hours drive away, to let my family know that I was OK.  My step father answered the phone and gave me a brief tongue lashing about calling during a thunderstorm before hanging up on me.

I think I remember that mom called a couple of days later when she read about it in the paper.  At that point, I was working victim relief as an aid and did not have much time to talk. 

(Palm Sunday 1994 north Alabama and Georgia)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

darling

For an opposite of this, I WAS in a tornado, one that got written about later in Reader's Digest when I was in college, in my own apartment.  It was bad.

Once everything settled down, I called home, over an hours drive away, to let my family know that I was OK.  My step father answered the phone and gave me a brief tongue lashing about calling during a thunderstorm before hanging up on me.

I think I remember that mom called a couple of days later when she read about it in the paper.  At that point, I was working victim relief as an aid and did not have much time to talk. 

(Palm Sunday 1994 north Alabama and Georgia)

Jeesh... Just... Wow...

Minmom3

Wow, ReginMom, that's..... ugly.  Did it ever get resolved reasonably well?  Boy, I sure hope so.  How hurtful of him to do that to you.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Precarious Armada

• This sig is witty, memorable, and eminently quotable
  • Off in my own little world...
Well, we're happy to hear you were ok.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
Thanks for that!

E-hell is a wonderful place, no matter the weather.  :)

I am now in a state that the weather reports are hit or miss. 
Freak hail storms?  check.
Predicted rain, almost 100% and not a drop?  check.
No freeze expected, so you do some plantings, followed by three days freeze.  check!
warmer afternoons, wait, colder afternoons?  check.

And we just roll along, and try to be prepared.  No phone calls needed, since it can be different one block from another. 

:)

JustEstelle

OP here again.  SIL has figured out that I don't allow anyone to post on my wall now, so she now tags me if it's something she wants me to see.  I, however have my settings such that nothing goes to my wall without my approval.  The other night, she tagged me in a post about the wildfires in the Texas Panhandle and asked if it was headed our way.  We are near Dallas - some 200-300 miles away from the fires.  Maybe even further than that.  I did respond and let her know how far that is from us and that we are not in danger from those fires.  She just doesn't realize how much real estate is between the northern Panhandle and the DFW area.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Sounds like we're in the same area. My texts have stopped but now when I speak to either mom on the phone I get a hesitant "Sooo... how is the weather? Everything okay?" Like they're trying so hard not to be worried. I've taken the initiative and what I do is post a photo of an awesome thunderhead and caption it "Wow, much needed rain on the way!", etc. That seems to be helping because they'll reply to my photo (usually "stay safe!" or similar) and that's all I hear about it.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
You can drive all day starting early morn at one end of TX and after a long day's drive, still be in TX well after nightfall. 

Texas is much larger than many countries.

This is pretty much true...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREkqCvLzSo

JustEstelle

Yeah, I know.  DH and I drove from the DFW area to Denver, CO on vacation a few years ago.  We left home at 5:30 AM and crossed the Texas/NM border about 10 hours later.  And that wasn't even going from one furthest point to another; that was going about half-way across the state. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
You can drive all day starting early morn at one end of TX and after a long day's drive, still be in TX well after nightfall. 

Texas is much larger than many countries.

We were reminded of that a few months ago. We took the train from New Orleans to Los Angeles. Went to sleep in Texas, woke up in Texas and were still in Texas in the early afternoon the next day.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

JustEstelle

Re: Out-of-state relative sending me weather reports for my area UPDATED #14
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 04:53:24 AM »
OP back again.  Well, I changed my settings back to allowing people to post on my wall back when DH was still doing FB, as he'd been wanting to post things to me that he wanted me to see.  I didn't mention to SIL that I had changed it back, but she soon figured it out.  So, I suppose you can guess what started happening again.  We had some rough weather come through overnight Sunday-Monday, and SIL had to post a link onto my wall to let me know about it.   ::)  Yeah, DH and I still have weather apps on our phones (we each have two weather apps, in fact), and I try to make a point of at least catching the weather forecast on TV if there is a chance of rough weather.  So I was well aware - and well prepared - for what was forecast.  I responded to her post by saying, "We do keep tabs on the weather," and left it at that.  And I went back in and changed my settings again so that no one can post to my wall but me.  She means well, but it's so annoying!