Author Topic: Confusing Invitation  (Read 1475 times)

PurpleFrog

Confusing Invitation
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
Hi,

I've recieved an invitaion to the evening reception (in UK so standard here) of an old friend from uni. There was no inner envelope but the outside was adressed just to me, no mention of my husband. The RSVP is via a wedding website which asks for party number (max 2), plus the whole social unit thing. So EHell, is the hubby invited or not?

While I'd like to attend, it's on a thursday evening around 2 & 1/2 hours from us, so we'd probably need accomodation & baby sitters if we're able to arrange them or DH would need to saty home with the children and take time off work. However its quite inacessible by public transport so I'm not sure I'd be able to attend alone. Should I just decline as I'm not sure I could go either way, or is there an EHell approved way of confirming who's invited.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Confusing Invitation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
For me, I would simply ask the host, but that is because I wouldn't get a sitter to attend a reception of someone I would not feel comfortable just asking. If you don't want to just ask, I would decide whether you want to go.  If the answer is yes, RSVP for 2.  They will let you know if they didn't mean to invite your husband, and then you can decide whether you still want to go.

But the best thing to do is to just ask the host, who presumably you know well enough to just ask.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »
The "rule" is that only the people on the envelope are invited. But, plenty of people issuing invites do not know that "rule" so it is of limited use. Because there is another rule  that you invite social units.

Unless you know that they hate your husband, I'd just call.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:22:05 AM »
Thank you both for the kick up the bottom, I'd gotten myself into a silly quandry about putting Friend on the spot. I devolped some ovairian fortitude and FB messaged him, turns out it's hubby, kids and myself, and he'd had a moment writing the envlope. :)

Now just to arrange babysitters (its a school night) and fighure out what one wears to masked ball reception. I'm gussing a mask.....
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:48 AM »

Now just to arrange babysitters (its a school night) and fighure out what one wears to masked ball reception. I'm gussing a mask.....

I'm in the UK too, and call me old-fashioned but I think the mask isn't going to be enough. You'll need clothes as well... ;)

Vall

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:13:54 AM »

I'm in the UK too, and call me old-fashioned but I think the mask isn't going to be enough. You'll need clothes as well... ;)
This gave me a giggle this morning.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
Darn it, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to spring for a new dress ;)

LtPowers

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »

There's a joke here with the phrase "masked ball" but I'm not clever enough to make it.

Powers  &8^]