Author Topic: "You must really think I'm stupid . . . Update page 3, #42"  (Read 15053 times)

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
Re: "You must really think I'm stupid . . . Update page 3, #42"
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »

This, honestly, is the reason I never wanted burner covers. I really would like to go to a smooth top stove again. But what I have was brand new when I moved into our rental 4+ years ago. I already bought an extra fridge. So even though the stove is subpar, I'm sticking with it.

Although I've had to replace all the coil burners. Twice. As well as the heating element in the oven.  >:(

POD. That is why I'm a stickler about putting non-pots on my stove top. Before I made that rule, I'd been known to put a plastic cutting board on a front burner, & then try to turn on the back burner, but turn on the front one instead and cook the cutting board. I killed several kitchen items before I instated that rule.

Good to hear that you & your mom didn't have a snipe-fest over it though!  :)
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »
I did that wit ha plastic mixing spoon.  Melted it and started a fire under the element (I had an older electric stove at the time).  I was just a derp moment, we all have them.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

amylouky

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
I caught a menu on fire at a restaurant once. Figured out what I wanted and set it down on top of the lit candle. Oh, and I've melted more plastic implements by setting them on my hot cooktop than I care to admit.

LB

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
I caught a menu on fire at a restaurant once. Figured out what I wanted and set it down on top of the lit candle. Oh, and I've melted more plastic implements by setting them on my hot cooktop than I care to admit.

Me too. I've also caught a hot pad on fire while cooking dinner. My house smelled like burned fabric for hours.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »
One time I caught my hair on fire at a restaurant by backing too close to one of those table candles.  My hair was down to my tushie at the time.  All of a sudden, I heard all of this commotion, and then I figured out it was directed at me.  I was just standing there, so I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong; I was just a kid and felt like people were yelling at me when they were just trying to save me from the fire.  Of course, hair doesn't have nerves, so when it starts to burn, you can't feel it if it's far away from your head.  Luckily, I didn't lose too much. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
I was heating water for something, lost track of time, and melted a nylon spoon in the pan.

I was able to replace the pan (1970s wedding present) with a duplicate from eBay...so VorGuy is none the wiser (.

And I remember why I've been using TIMERS in the kitchen since I was ten & baking cookies.  This is NOT a new issue...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
I did that wit ha plastic mixing spoon.  Melted it and started a fire under the element (I had an older electric stove at the time).  I was just a derp moment, we all have them.

My mother melted a lot of Tupperware in the oven.  We had a large family, and she'd take out a big piece of hamburger from the freezer, put it into the plastic bowl to thaw, then put it into the oven to keep the cat out of it.   Hours later, she'd turn on the oven to preheat........  yeah, several times.  We thought it was hilarious.

GreenHall

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »

My mother melted a lot of Tupperware in the oven.  We had a large family, and she'd take out a big piece of hamburger from the freezer, put it into the plastic bowl to thaw, then put it into the oven to keep the cat out of it.   Hours later, she'd turn on the oven to preheat........  yeah, several times.  We thought it was hilarious.
If I did not have a microwave, this would be me so many times over.  Luckily the Microwave is both cat-proof (so far) and I have to take stuff out to put new stuff in to heat.

bloo

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »

Sob.  :'(

I practically worshipped my Tupperware! I felt ill when I accidentally melted the bottom of one of my bowls on a burner that had inadvertently been turned on. The bowl can still be used and you can't see it unless you flip it over *but I know it's there*.

When I decided I no longer wanted to store my food in plastic containers, I gave $300 worth of Tupperware to a dear friend (the lids were her fave color and storing her food in plastic was fine for her). I think I'm over my Tupperware fixation now, but it wasn't pretty if DH or the kids tried to grab a piece to store something.

Otterpop

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »

I practically worshipped my Tupperware! I felt ill when I accidentally melted the bottom of one of my bowls on a burner that had inadvertently been turned on. The bowl can still be used and you can't see it unless you flip it over *but I know it's there*.

When I decided I no longer wanted to store my food in plastic containers, I gave $300 worth of Tupperware to a dear friend (the lids were her fave color and storing her food in plastic was fine for her). I think I'm over my Tupperware fixation now, but it wasn't pretty if DH or the kids tried to grab a piece to store something.

My DH took a Tupperware bowl to work for a potluck and left it in the fridge.  Company policy is that janitors throw everything out nightly, regardless of what it is.  The bowl was part of a nesting set, in colors that matched other pieces I had that were discontinued.  I could have KILLED him!  He had to buy me a new set, but the new ones were different.  I still miss it.  :'(

bloo

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 04:22:37 PM »

My DH took a Tupperware bowl to work for a potluck and left it in the fridge.  Company policy is that janitors throw everything out nightly, regardless of what it is.  The bowl was part of a nesting set, in colors that matched other pieces I had that were discontinued.  I could have KILLED him!  He had to buy me a new set, but the new ones were different.  I still miss it.  :'(

Reading that makes me almost swoon.

DH learned to tread lightly with my Tupperware when he grabbed some and left the house with it. I walked outside later when he came home and found the shattered remains of it in our driveway. Apparently it rolled out of his truck and he didn't realize it and drove over it.

I had a small freak-out. Okay maybe not so small. He *never* touched my Tupperware again. 

magicdomino

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »
Anyone remember the commercials for either Glad or Ziplock containers, where the wife/mother would practically threaten her family members' lives if anything happened to the "expensive" plasticware?  I especially remember one where the bowl was handcuffed to the husband's wrist.   Until this thread, I thought that was exaggerated.   ;)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »
Not Tupperware - really good stainless steel tableware - the kind that you get as a wedding present - Lil Sis remarried after a divorce to a guy in his thirties who had never been married and was an engineer in a field where he spent half his time "away from home", so he'd always lived in an apartment and owned little...

He got in the habit of taking her good spoons & forks to work to eat lunch and then forgetting them or loosing them somehow (I assume someone cleaned out the fridge & tossed them) when he was working in the local area.  At least he never took them overseas with him...that I heard about.

But due to not having enough forks & spoons for dinner parties - she went looking for more and had him run a search on eBay for that style.

When he found out that he'd lost things that were going to cost $5 or more each to replace, used, off eBay -  he started buying heavy plastic disposable forks & spoons to take to work instead.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:26:24 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

bloo

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »
Anyone remember the commercials for either Glad or Ziplock containers, where the wife/mother would practically threaten her family members' lives if anything happened to the "expensive" plasticware?  I especially remember one where the bowl was handcuffed to the husband's wrist.   Until this thread, I thought that was exaggerated.   ;)

Hah! I remember those. The one that springs more readily to mind is the one where the mom is making her little kid sign a contract that he'll bring it back safely!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
*Sigh* I guess my husband thinks I'm stupid...

I decided to bring a couple of ice trays to keep in the freezer at work, since I like lots of ice in my drinks. My husband's comment (several days after I'd taken them in) was, "You know you have to twist those ice trays to make the cubes pop out, right?"

Seriously? He doesn't think I can operate something as terribly complicated as an ice tray? Granted, we have an ice maker, but we haven't always had one.

::)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!