Author Topic: What to do with rhubarb?  (Read 1361 times)

Coley

What to do with rhubarb?
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
We will receive some rhubarb this week (probably one bunch). I haven't used rhubarb in my life. I'm not sure I've ever eaten it. Any favorite recipes for a novice?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: What to do with rhubarb?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
I always thought I hated rhubarb.  Turns out, I'd only ever had it with cooked strawberries and it's the strawberries I hate.

If you know how to make apple crisp, just substitute 1/2 to 3/4 of the apples with rhubarb.  You need some apples for structure, though.  I usually put down one layer of apples, fill up with rhubarb and add one layer of apples at the top to support the topping.  Serve warm with ice cream.

I also found a rhubarb muffin recipe that I really like.  I'll have to post it when I get home, though.

And a European style cake with rhubarb and raspberries that is just dusted with some icing sugar, rather than iced.  Again, I'll have to find the recipe at home.  It was a Weight Watcher's recipe I got from somewhere.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
Liqueur!

http://www.nutmegsseven.co.uk/2013/04/rhubarb-vodka.html

I've got a Kilner jar of this on my utility room floor. I have to say I've never drunk rhubarb vodka, but my sister made rhubarb gin and said it was fabulous.

mime

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
I second the rhubarb-crisp idea. I was going to suggest the same, without the apples, but apples would definitely help the structure. I favor adding very little sugar despite how tart rhubarb is, then topping with ice cream to give sweet-tart balance.

Also-- if you make ice cream, rhubarb ice cream is fantastic (again, the sweet-tart mix is good). I bake the rhubarb in a little water until it is soft before adding it.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
I make all rhubarb pie - can't stand it when they cut it with strawberries!  It's sour-sweet and yummy with just the rhubarb on its own.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
Vote for pairing rhubarb with apples. A crumble sounds yum.

Nibsey

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
Any baked goods with apple my family have substituted with rhubarb. So Rhubarb tart, Rhubarb muffins, Rhubarb crumble, Rhubarb meringue pie (substitute the lemon filling with a rhubarb one) etc. My favourite is Rhubarb Fool.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

buvezdevin

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »
I love rhubarb crisp - this is a favorite, simple and fast recipe:

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/give-the-gift-of-rhubarb-crisp/

And, while others may like their rhubarb on its own, pairing it with strawberries is a classic combo - I like them combined in jam.  You chop up rhubarb, cook in a bit of water till softened, add strawberries and sugar to taste, cook down and keep in fridge or freeze.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

BigBadBetty

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
I've never made this recipe. However, I thinking of getting some rhubarb for it.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/02/big-crumb-coffee-cake/

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
THAT is going on my list for this season!  I'll have lots of rhubarb - I'll get some from my CSA farm, I'll have some of my own and I can raid a neighbour's patch, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Coley

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas ... Now I hope we'll get enough rhubarb from the CSA to make a crisp and that coffee cake!

veryfluffy

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
I just love it cooked with a bit of sugar. It's great with some greek yogurt or on ice-cream. Just slice into 1" pieces, add about 1 spoonful of sugar per large stalk (or half sucralose and half brown sugar works well), a couple of spoonfuls of water, cover and cook on medium heat until it is soft, about 10 minutes.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 03:47:36 PM »
DH dices it and simmers it in a skillet with raspberries, butter, honey, and cinnamon until it's a sauce. It's divine! We've put it on yogurt, waffles, ice cream, etc.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
DH dices it and simmers it in a skillet with raspberries, butter, honey, and cinnamon until it's a sauce. It's divine! We've put it on yogurt, waffles, ice cream, etc.

Oh, wow.  That sounds good, too.  Although I'd probably use maple syrup over honey, since that's what I have on hand.
Ontario

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
Poach in a very small amount of water, or microwave it. Then add sugar to taste.

Mix the cooked rhubarb with whipped cream to make rhubarb fool. Or serve hot with custard. Or use it to make crumble.

PSA- just eat the stems. Bin or compost the leaves. Also be aware that it is very acidic, so don't use copper or aluminium pans.
NE England