Author Topic: Paris  (Read 1218 times)

quietgirl

Paris
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »
I'll be visiting Paris for 4 days later this month.  Two days with a friend and 2 days on my own.  Any advice on what not to miss? 

Any dos/don'ts would be good to.   This is my first trip to Europe!  Although I have travelled out of the country before (US). 

Thanks!

wheeitsme

Re: Paris
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 03:08:17 PM »
Take a trip out to Versaille on a weekend if you can.  That's when they turn the fountains on.  The sit down lunch there is fairly reasonable, and you are assured a place to sit and eat. 

Also the Louve, and of course the Eiffel Tower. 

I was able to go for three days.  I still miss the food.

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
When in the Louvre don't stress about finding the Mona Lisa.  There are so many great paintings that get over looked as everyone races to this small painting.  You'll get there.  Vermeer's The Lacemaker is lovely. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

wheeitsme

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:05:05 PM »
When in the Louvre don't stress about finding the Mona Lisa.  There are so many great paintings that get over looked as everyone races to this small painting.  You'll get there.  Vermeer's The Lacemaker is lovely.

I know.  The one you have your back to when you view the Mona Lisa.  That's impressive.  I did enjoy seeing Winged Victory.  And we saw the basement.  That was amazing.  Some of the building from the 1200-1500's.

Coralreef

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »
Don't forget to look at the ceilings in the Louvre.  The paintings on them are amazing.  I loved Notre-Dame, try to get to the bell tower.  The Conciergerie and Sainte-Chapelle near Notre-Dame are also worth a visit.  The Panthéon, if you have time.

Let's face it, all large European cities (and small ones too) can keep you busy for weeks! Whatever you decide to see, you can't go wrong.

[/right

NestHolder

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »
The Centre Pompidou.  It's too bizarre to miss!

Eat crepes from a street vendor, fantastic cakes from a patisserie, croque monsieur in a cosy little café.  Ride on the Métro.  Go to Montmartre and watch the street artists.

Also, the Rodin Museum.

mich3554

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »
Rodin museum is off the beaten track, but I enjoyed it.

Musee D'Orsay IMO is much more enjoyable than the Louvre.  Wear well padded shoes as the floors are marble and HARD.

Jardin de Luxembourg are gorgeous and if you go during the summer, there are concerts going on there.

Don't miss Montmartre, it has another flavor of Paris.

Finally, if you want to go someplace funky, try visiting the cemetery where Jim Morrison is buried.  It's called Pere Lachaise and it's interesting to look at all the names on headstones and in vaults that you have heard in history and literature.

marcel

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
Musee D'Orsay IMO is much more enjoyable than the Louvre.  Wear well padded shoes as the floors are marble and HARD.
I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought so :) Louvre actualy has third place in Paris for me, after Musee D'Orsay and Centre Pompidou.

Also, as you should do in every city you visit, spend at least half a day wandering around in a non-tourist area.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
Take the Hop On Hop Off bus tour so you can get your bearings.  It takes you to all the main places.  The Louvre is amazing, but you could spend 10 days in there.  Seriously.  If the Eiffel tower is busy, you may have to wait a long time in line to get in.  Check online to see if you can buy advance tickets for it. 

If you like wine, I know a great place to go. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
Take the Hop On Hop Off bus tour so you can get your bearings.  It takes you to all the main places.  The Louvre is amazing, but you could spend 10 days in there.  Seriously.  If the Eiffel tower is busy, you may have to wait a long time in line to get in.  Check online to see if you can buy advance tickets for it. 

If you like wine, I know a great place to go.

This is a good recommendation. Go to the top. Even if the lesser known place you really want to go is 3 blocks from the stop the hop-on-hop-off buses are great for getting you around to major locations.  We like to do one complete loop, then get off at our stops. This also applies to cities we visit often. It is a different view than street level.

quietgirl

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 11:43:09 PM »
This is so wonderful!  Thank you all for your suggestions!

Sparksgal - Yes!  I do like wine. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 01:17:37 AM »
Sparksgal, please share.  I'll be back in Paris this fall.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
Not far from the Louvre on Saint-Honoré (about half way between the Louvre and Les Halles) is Boulangerie Julien. When we were there 4 years ago, they had an awesome lunch special - sandwich, drink and pastry for 10 euros.  The line was out the door and down the street at noon, so plan accordingly.

Oops, I forgot my dos and don'ts.

Personally, I would skip Versailles unless you have a burning desire to see the fountains. It's a smaller, glittery version of the Louvre, overcrowded and will require planning to get there.

There's a ticket outlet in Les Halles (sorry, don't remember the name) where you can buy museums tickets a day or 2 in advance and skip the lineups. FYI: Museé D'Orsay is closed on Mondays and the Louvre is closed Tuesdays.

On Sunday, there's a street market behind Basilica Saint-Eustache. The fruit lady was memorable (in a good way) and we had figs that were the best I have ever tasted in my life. 

And I agree with whoever said it earlier, do take the time to wander around some of the neighbourhoods and take a stroll down Champs-Élysées. Also, be super polite and try to learn a few opening phrases in French (Good day - Bon jour, etc.) to greet the shop attendant when you enter. Not offering a greeting is considered quite rude.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:50:17 AM by wx4caster »
The days are long but the years are short.

quietgirl

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
I'm leaving tomorrow for my trip!  4 days in Belgium and 4 in Paris with a side trip to Amiens to visit a friend.  I have your suggestions in hand & will update when I come back.  Thanks again! 

marcel

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
I assume from your post you are starting in Belgium.
However if you are in Paris this weekend, I am making a last minute trip there. If you feel like hanging out with some fun international people, send me a message. I will be there with 2 friends, going to Disneyland on saturday and doing some relaxed visiting of the town on Sunday (a friend who lives there said she might be having a picnic in a nice parc somewhere sunday)
Wherever you go..... There you are.