Author Topic: hotel tipping when you only get your room cleaned once a week  (Read 5339 times)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Re: hotel tipping when you only get your room cleaned once a week
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:23 PM »
this is where i find tipping culture weird,   it wouldn't occur to me to tip housekeeping. 
they are employed to do that job, why would i tip for just doing the job?  i can see if i'd made a mess above normal that it would be nice to leave them something, but if its make bed and change towels than why would i?

ITA. I personally do not know of one person who tips in a hotel.  I just don't see the point of paying anywhere from $100.00-$350.00 a night for a hotel room and then be expected to tip someone providing me with very basic services on top of that as being justifiable.  I have very rarely spent less than $100.00 on a hotel room (hotels are expensive) and don't see clean towels and the making of my already 3/4 made bed as being something that needs an extra reward, which is exactly what a tip is.  Exceptional or special services do require tipping however I have never had or requested special services.

Hotel tipping is not universally accepted as a norm as is tipping waitstaff.  Hotel maids accepted employment of at least a minimum wage (unlike waitstaff) for providing the services of cleaning guest rooms.  That is the job they signed up for.  I don't see where providing minimal services in their employed capacity is something that deserves a tip.

I agree. I've never tipped housekeeping staff, and I can't foresee any situation where I ever will. I'm a very low key hotel guest and when I pay for my room and I expect that that is going to cover the basics of what I expect for my money, ie. daily maid service.

katycoo

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 09:37:24 PM »
That's my take. I tip my hairdresser who makes a whole lot more than housekeeping does - and I tip at a higher rate. Two dollars is about 1 to 2 percent tip. It is the cost of one soda from the hotel vending machine.

I wouldn't tip a hairdresser either. Its just not done here.

I agree you should be able to direct your tip where its intended.  But I find the whole concept of leaving an envelope expressly for tips to indicate an expectation that you will or should tip.
Remember, I come from a non-tipping culture.  I'm not saying its right or wrong, just stating the impression that it gives me.

It's exactly like having a tip jar out on the counter.

I don't think it is.  It is more like your waitress seating you, bringing you menus then putting her own personal tip jar on your table.

purple

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »
If somebody gives me good service, I'll tip them.  Housekeeping staff, waiter, driver, whoever.

If somebody doesn't give me good service, I won't.

In Australia it is not expected the same way as it is in the USA, but I'll still do it if I feel like it.  The amount of money they might get paid doesn't factor into my decision at all.  I make my decision based solely on whether I think their service was good.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »
See, I tipped while in the USA because (for some reason) I thought it was the norm. My understanding was that housekeeping staff get paid a minimum wage which still puts them below the poverty line, so the few dollars in tips makes their life more comfortable.

Of course, if I discovered the housekeeping was shoddy or non-existant, I would not tip. But I didn't find that to be the case. 

katycoo

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 12:12:03 AM »
In Australia it is not expected the same way as it is in the USA, but I'll still do it if I feel like it.  The amount of money they might get paid doesn't factor into my decision at all.  I make my decision based solely on whether I think their service was good.

Well yes.  I meant I don't tip as a matter of course.  I might tip when service is exceptional.

purple

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2014, 12:17:26 AM »

Well yes.  I meant I don't tip as a matter of course.  I might tip when service is exceptional.

And I think, ultimately, that's what "a tip" was designed for in the beginning.  I've not lived in the USA, but I don't quite understand how somehow, somewhere along the way, service people started expecting tips and (it seems) employers starting paying people less because they also expected the staff to get tips.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 01:49:55 AM »
I agree. I've never tipped housekeeping staff, and I can't foresee any situation where I ever will. I'm a very low key hotel guest and when I pay for my room and I expect that that is going to cover the basics of what I expect for my money, ie. daily maid service.
Actually what you pay doesn't cover just housekeeping (which may be part of the disconnect). Your room rate covers :
-housekeeping salary
-front desk salary
-management salary
-maintenance and (where applicable) grounds salary
-other staff
-utilities and property tax
-equipment, supplies and toiletries
-other things needed to keep a hotel going

So you're thinking "gosh rooms are $300 a night- that must mean housekeeping makes a bundle" Well no. Because all of that other stuff comes out of what you pay.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2014, 02:54:14 AM »
Actually what you pay doesn't cover just housekeeping (which may be part of the disconnect). Your room rate covers :
-housekeeping salary
-front desk salary
-management salary
-maintenance and (where applicable) grounds salary
-other staff
-utilities and property tax
-equipment, supplies and toiletries
-other things needed to keep a hotel going

So you're thinking "gosh rooms are $300 a night- that must mean housekeeping makes a bundle" Well no. Because all of that other stuff comes out of what you pay.

That's not at all what I'm thinking. I'm well aware that all the other things come out of the room fee as well. Housekeeping is but one thing that I'm paying for, and I'm not going to pay for it twice.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2014, 03:10:40 AM »
Another Aussie - tips aren't usually an expectation here. Maybe for really exceptional service. It wouldn't even cross my mind to tip housekeeping in Oz.

I know US has more of a tipping culture but, apart from waitstaff, wouldn't have a clue who else I should tip if I was travelling there. So I'm always interested when the topic comes up on Ehell. Trying to squirrel away the information for any future travels.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2014, 05:42:01 AM »
See, I tipped while in the USA because (for some reason) I thought it was the norm. My understanding was that housekeeping staff get paid a minimum wage which still puts them below the poverty line, so the few dollars in tips makes their life more comfortable.

Of course, if I discovered the housekeeping was shoddy or non-existant, I would not tip. But I didn't find that to be the case.

This is generally correct.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 08:57:47 AM »
Because tipping practices vary widely, please mention the country or region you're referring to. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2014, 09:19:22 AM »
. . . I don't quite understand how somehow, somewhere along the way, service people started expecting tips and (it seems) employers starting paying people less because they also expected the staff to get tips.

It's called greed. Which sometimes wraps itself in the mantle of capitalism.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »
http://wiserwaitress.com/the-menu/the-tip-system/

I think some may find this interesting , it includes the dates some of the tipping laws were pasted.

nayberry

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 04:49:27 PM »

I think some may find this interesting , it includes the dates some of the tipping laws were pasted.

shame some of its just not true ie "Most restaurants in Europe and other parts of the world do not grant the diner this option, they simply integrate a service charge into the price of the meal.   As a result, dining in Western Europe is considerably higher and less affordable than in the states. "
most restaurants i've been to, and i've been to a few, only have tip included if its a large party, 8 and over is the norm. 
i can go out for dinner with hubby and have a lovely 2 courses inc drinks for under 50/$80, most times its under 30/$50.

katycoo

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »

shame some of its just not true ie "Most restaurants in Europe and other parts of the world do not grant the diner this option, they simply integrate a service charge into the price of the meal.   As a result, dining in Western Europe is considerably higher and less affordable than in the states. "
most restaurants i've been to, and i've been to a few, only have tip included if its a large party, 8 and over is the norm. 
i can go out for dinner with hubby and have a lovely 2 courses inc drinks for under 50/$80, most times its under 30/$50.

I think its true to a degree.  After all, whoever sets the pricing of the menu does so bearing in mind the profit they need to make to be able to pay everyone appropriately, cover other expenses and make profit.  So naturally that will accomodate higher wages.

But I still prefer it.  If I think its too expensive, I don't have to dine there.

Australia (Sydney, anyway) is very expensive to eat at.  It would be rare to have 2 courses plus drinks near $50.  But I still prefer knowing that the staff are earning a living wage whether the restaurant is busy that night or not.