Author Topic: The old bait and switch...  (Read 5335 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: The old bait and switch...
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
Do yourself an enormous favor and send your regrets.  I can't see this ending well for anyone.

Especially if someone brings potato salad for 25 and there isn't room in the refrigerator.   :P

POD to everyone above me.

And I wanted to say that (sarcastic tone) I love disorganized events like this because without having people state what they plan to bring to the potluck, what happens is that nearly everyone brings potato salad and bags of chips, and there are no other items. Just 500 potato salad servings and 9 bags of chips.

In my experience, everyone brings dessert. All store-bought. Yeah. It's gross.

Oh yes. And without utensils or plates and then the host gets annoyed that people don't want to cut and eat the cake or pie with their fingers and that he/she has to go to the kitchen to provide his/her own.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 08:42:03 PM »

I can't see a five item potluck (ie, one item per family), with a significant driving distance and no schedule for who brings what ending well. With larger numbers of people, you have a reasonable probability of variety even with random choices. With four or five, yeah, you're probably going to end up with five salads, or five trays of store bought brownies.

And the thing is, they could host the food without that much effort or cost. They could do the burgers and hot dogs on the grill, stop by Costco for some trays of veggies, big tubs of coleslaw, fruit salad and potato salad, dips and chips. Two litre bottles of pop and iced tea, coffee, ice cream and cookies for dessert. For breakfast, muffins, fruit, juice and coffee.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »

I can't see a five item potluck (ie, one item per family), with a significant driving distance and no schedule for who brings what ending well. With larger numbers of people, you have a reasonable probability of variety even with random choices. With four or five, yeah, you're probably going to end up with five salads, or five trays of store bought brownies.

And the thing is, they could host the food without that much effort or cost. They could do the burgers and hot dogs on the grill, stop by Costco for some trays of veggies, big tubs of coleslaw, fruit salad and potato salad, dips and chips. Two litre bottles of pop and iced tea, coffee, ice cream and cookies for dessert. For breakfast, muffins, fruit, juice and coffee.

How dare you introduce logic into this situation! ::) ;D :P

Minmom3

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 12:36:42 AM »
It sounds like an endurance test, and I'm NOT driving 4 hours each way, with food in the car, for an endurance test.  I'm not fond of sharing a limited bathroom with far too many people.  I'm even less fond of food poisoning.  I've had it, and I'll do my level best to avoid having it ever again.  Sleeping on a hard floor or the hard ground - nope.  That's not any kind of fun IMO.  I'd stay in the most rudimentary cabin as long as I had access to toilets, showers, and a working fridge for the food (or a lot of jumbo coolers with ice!).  To me, it sounds like a train wreck, slowly sliding towards a cliff edge, knowing that falling over that edge is coming up soon!  Not nearly enough fun to be worth the discomfort and stress.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....