• March 19, 2018, 05:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trying New Food  (Read 10510 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: Trying New Food
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
I have a chocolate zucchini cake recipe where it is made in a bundt pan - it is a dense cake.  It has orange zest in it and you make a glaze with icing sugar and orange juice.  It is awesome.

I also make a regular zucchini loaf (bread) that uses lemon zest in it.

Most baking recipes I've seen with zucchini involve citrus of some sort.

I never wanted to try sushi.  Why would I eat raw fish?  Ewwww...  Then I went to visit friends in California and we hit this place in Pasadena.  I was going to order some tempura but got talked into trying a couple of things from the little boats going around - only two or three little pieces per plate so it wasn't a big loss if you didn't eat it.  I ended up eating more than my friends did and I've been hooked ever since.  I'm lucky that my town has some good sushi places; there are a couple of businesses in town that bring executives over from Japan and that has influenced the quality of the places a bit.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2014, 10:08:26 AM »
Carrot and zucchini cakes are very common here.  Beet cakes are less common but not unknown. 

A co-worker used to make chocolate cakes with green tomatoes and my Mother made a different chocolate cake with sauerkraut.

All were delicious. 

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
Now I want zucchini cake but my kids would get ticked if I made a cake for mother's day.

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
Shouldn't have started following this thread on an empty stomach...

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2014, 10:15:21 AM »
I'm craving a slice of chocolate zucchini bread at the moment.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
I recently tried calamari for only the second time. I like most seafood, so my first try I expected to like it. I didn't. For some reason, on the second try it was delicious!

When I tried sushi for the first time, I was surprised that I really liked the tuna, but not the salmon. Broiled salmon is one of my absolute favorite meals. Tuna has always just been ok.

I really like calamari but IMHO it tends to be either really good or meh ,not a lot a gradation. Ive never cooked it but I guess its just really sensitive to overcooking being a little old/frozen? something.

I tried calamari once by accident (labels in a foreign language) and I while I can't speak to its quality as fish, it definitely makes for rubbery, fishy-tasting onion rings.  ;D
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning