Author Topic: Trying New Food  (Read 3135 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Trying New Food
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 09:22:40 PM »
Foie gras I won't eat as I think it's cruel how they make it. I have eaten escargot and the best part is the garlic butter as otherwise it's just like eating fried mushrooms.

I love seafood but I do have limits, don't like fishy smells. I have tried swordfish steaks will hollandaise, very nice. :)

Not all foie gras is made through force feeding.  It's important to me to source it. If the wait staff doesn't know where it came from I pass.  (I don't go as far as this Portlandia scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAlWrT5P2VI&feature=youtube_gdata_player )

I was going to post this same thing. Foie gras is actually less "cruel" than your regular poultry farms. The "force feeding" mimics the pre-migration bulking up the birds do naturally.

Foie gras is one of my favorite foods, too. The best thing I've had with foie was in Paris; I have no idea what the dish was called, but it was eggs and cream with chunks of seared foie gras baked in a ramekin. I still dream of it!
Had no idea, but it would be hard to source. Flavoured M&Ms are actually hard to source in Australia. When my sisters went to M&Ms work in NYC I asked for dark chocolate and raspberry flavoured as I had heard of them and they sounded nice. They thought it a bit odd for asking for something so specific. We all loved them and they tasted just like a Cherry Ripe.

Tashigi

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 02:41:37 AM »
I started getting adventurous with food in my mid-teens, funnily enough. One incident stands out to me, as there is about a 9 year span.

I first tried salmon roe (salmon eggs) in my teens and had a tough time finishing it. It was rubbery, fishy, and horribly salty. I swore it off for almost ten years. Then the Gentleman Friend treated me to chirashi (sashimi over a bed of vinegary rice), which included salmon roe tucked in with the fish. With some trepidation, I tried one and it was glorious. It was like biting into a bubble and as it popped, it had just the perfect amount of saltiness without any strong fishy aftertaste. We concluded that I had been given subpar product (the sushi place I first tried it at was rather... sketchy).

I do try foods that I didn't care from time to time again, just to see if I just had a bad sample or if my tastes have changed. As of now I don't care for most dark leafy greens, olives, or liver. Even then, I can eat greens when in a strongly flavored preparation - layered in lasagna or pasta bake, in stews/soups - and I do like the occasional slice of Kalamata olive bread.

Coley

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
... snip ...
I grew up with canned vegetables and canned salmon cakes.

Oh, the canned salmon cakes. That was one of my mother's Lenten staples. A canned salmon cake full of round bones. I'd cut into it, see the bones, and stare at it on the plate. She'd get mad because I wouldn't eat it. I tried to pick around the bones, but it was hard to do that. I didn't want to eat the bones. My parents would yell at me to just chew them up. I didn't want to chew them up.

With salmon cakes, as well as with several other foods my mother cooked, I crammed as much as I could into my mouth, quickly put my plate in the sink, and ran to the bathroom, where I'd spit the food into toilet and flush.

123sandy

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:25 AM »
I'm sure Delia Smith prefers tinned salmon for salmon fish cakes... I use it but pick out any bones before making them up.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
... snip ...

Oh, the canned salmon cakes. That was one of my mother's Lenten staples.

Oh...blurgh.  Mr_Deb used to make those when my SS was small.  In muffin tins.  I just...no.  I love him, and I appreciate him cooking, but...no.   :P

With salmon cakes, as well as with several other foods my mother cooked, I crammed as much as I could into my mouth, quickly put my plate in the sink, and ran to the bathroom, where I'd spit the food into toilet and flush.

Why didn't I think of that?!

Carotte

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »
Foie gras is one of my favorite foods, too. The best thing I've had with foie was in Paris; I have no idea what the dish was called, but it was eggs and cream with chunks of seared foie gras baked in a ramekin. I still dream of it!

You are most likely referring to "oeuf cocotte", there seems to be a lot of recipe with Foie gras.

My SO made me try a ton of stuff, well, it's a combination of him and being mature enough to want to try new things anyway.
There wasn't a lot that I liked, but now I'm sure I don't care for it (mushrooms, seafood, anything that might be rubbery actually) and a few things I do, like my red meat rarer (I used to like it done/well done) or even raw fish.

The thing about raw fish/sushi is that you should either pay a pretty penny for it or just not try it. A real (expensive) sushi by someone who knows what he's doing has nothing to do with a random piece of raw fish on some rice. Nothing.
I mean, a real sushi trainee will spend at least a few years before being allowed to make the rice, then being allowed to cut the vegetables and stuff, then years before he can actually make a sushi. That's how serious they take it  :o .
Thank deity you can get good sushi from someone who spent less than 10 years learning the trade (I don't want to know the price of a master sushi chef)! But being carefull where and from whom you get them is the secret.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 04:27:18 PM »
... snip ...

Oh, the canned salmon cakes. That was one of my mother's Lenten staples. A canned salmon cake full of round bones. I'd cut into it, see the bones, and stare at it on the plate. She'd get mad because I wouldn't eat it. I tried to pick around the bones, but it was hard to do that. I didn't want to eat the bones. My parents would yell at me to just chew them up. I didn't want to chew them up.

My mother used to make them (and other things) with the bones intact, as she liked them that way. I hated it. I make things with canned salmon now, but I crush the bones beforehand so there are no crunchy bits.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

blueyzca01

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
Fava beans.  I've tried a couple of times now, and they are just not worth the work.  I asked DH what he thought, and he said, "Meh. Take 'em or leave 'em" 

But when he found out how long it took to prep (around 30-40 minutes), he told me to forget it...not worth that kind of time.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Micah

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
I must be weird.....I actually like the bones in tinned salmon  :-\ If I make something with tinned salmon I pick the bones out and eat them all to myself, yummy.

Another thing I love that I haven't managed to convert anyone else to is eggplant slices dipped in egg, then breadcrumbs with a little parmesan and fried. It's one of my favorite dishes. No one else in the family likes it, so I get a whole eggplant to myself  ;D
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 07:09:24 PM »
When I first started dating my DH I had to get over my initial shock of him using ground turkey meat as a substitution for ground beef in everything - spaghetti, meatloaf, stuff bell peppers, etc.  I had grown up in a family where it was unheard of to use anything besides ground beef so when I tried ground turkey it was a pleasant surprise. 

Crispy Creams - Donuts are one of my favorite foods so when people began raving about them I rushed out and got a dozen.  I'm not sure if it's because I prefer cake donuts or what, but they were sub-par at best.

In-N-Out - I swear this place has a cult following in Southern California.  So many people RAVE about this place so I tried it a few years ago thinking it was going to be amazing.  I don't get it...the fries taste like straw and the meat patties are extremely thin.  Their milkshakes are great though.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »
I tried a Starbucks Birthday Cake Pop and it was just blah. The cake was dry, the icing was chalky. Never again.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

AtraBecca

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 07:29:03 PM »
I have cricket flour protein bars. They're pretty good.  ;D

Library Dragon

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21:10 PM »
When I first started dating my DH I had to get over my initial shock of him using ground turkey meat as a substitution for ground beef in everything - spaghetti, meatloaf, stuff bell peppers, etc.  I had grown up in a family where it was unheard of to use anything besides ground beef so when I tried ground turkey it was a pleasant surprise. 

Crispy Creams - Donuts are one of my favorite foods so when people began raving about them I rushed out and got a dozen.  I'm not sure if it's because I prefer cake donuts or what, but they were sub-par at best.

In-N-Out - I swear this place has a cult following in Southern California.  So many people RAVE about this place so I tried it a few years ago thinking it was going to be amazing.  I don't get it...the fries taste like straw and the meat patties are extremely thin.  Their milkshakes are great though.

If you had a Crispy Cream instead of a Krispy Kreme I can understand the problem.  ;)  ;)

Seriously, if your preference is for cake donuts than KK is not for you. I prefer glazed and KK still isn't my preference. In library school I used to visit a cook the donuts on site KK store.  It was fun watching the process, but frying oil and sugar were heavy in the air.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

AngelicGamer

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:17 AM »
I keep on trying mushrooms here and there to see if I'd like them.  The only way I can eat them is if they're deep fried.  Otherwise they're just too rubbery and icky.

Something I don't get is people saying that Starbucks coffee has a burnt flavor to it.  I've drank it black a few times and I'm not getting the burnt taste.  Could someone explain?

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 03:51:46 AM »
That might depend on who is making it. I know if you leave a coffee group head full of coffee in the machine you will burn the coffee. So much about coffee depends on the person making it.