Author Topic: Host gifts?  (Read 728 times)

Amoreade

Host gifts?
« on: May 05, 2014, 11:59:38 PM »
I'm travelling with a friend to another country and we'll be staying with his parents who have basically welcomed me as a daughter. I obviously need to give them some form of host gift but I have no idea what would be appropriate. I've been told wine is a good option but any suggestions would be appreciated.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Host gifts?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:07:01 AM »
What about bringing something from "home" to give as a gift.  I don't know how much space you have in your luggage, but maybe a small gift basket full of goodies would be nice. 

purple

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:33:43 AM »
Another vote here for a local souvenir.

I live in Australia and whenever I visit somebody overseas I always take some form of kangaroo, koala or platypus - a stuffed animal, a tea-towel, whatever.... and it's always a hit.  :)

figee

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »
Another vote here for a local souvenir.

I live in Australia and whenever I visit somebody overseas I always take some form of kangaroo, koala or platypus - a stuffed animal, a tea-towel, whatever.... and it's always a hit.  :)

This.  A nice tea towel, some treats from home, local wine, a picture book from your home town?

Oh Joy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
Ask your companion first, as family and regional customs vary.  For example, I was once advised to not bring a gift to a host family or offer to buy a meal, as it would imply that we were paying them for our lodging and make them uncomfortable.  We did end up bringing a small book of artistic photos of local attractions (including where now-DH and I met) and presented it with the explanation that it's traditional to bring a small local gift when visiting distant hosts.  It went over well.

Best wishes.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 05:53:19 AM »
Ask your companion first, as family and regional customs vary.  For example, I was once advised to not bring a gift to a host family or offer to buy a meal, as it would imply that we were paying them for our lodging and make them uncomfortable.  We did end up bringing a small book of artistic photos of local attractions (including where now-DH and I met) and presented it with the explanation that it's traditional to bring a small local gift when visiting distant hosts.  It went over well.

Best wishes.
good idea. Otherwise i would go with something local (food item, kitchen towels, starbucks mug from your city, etc).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »
I think it's cute and clever to take a gift from your own area.  I used to take a couple of bottles of famous local barbecue sauce, but airline regulations have put a stop to that.  Now I take a hunk of cheese made at the local agricultural college.  It is absolutely delicious.

T-shirts are decent gifts if you know your hosts are T-shirt people. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »
I always take maple syrup.  My family has made it for years so it was also something 'homemade' in a sense.  This year was the last year because we are selling the house I grew up in and moving my Dad to something more manageable.  But I'll probably still buy some locally made stuff and take it with me when visiting.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »
If you are traveling to another country and you want to bring food check the regulations first. Some countries allow anything in, some restrict it. Last thing you want is to be at the airport and have them confiscate and toss your gifts. (Yes I had that happen to me)

magicdomino

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
A host once told me that he enjoyed getting picture calendars from other countries.  It may be too early to get 2015 calendars right now, though.